The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bushings lower control arms

zen

Hi guys,

I was at the shop today getting the alignment done, however the camber and toe bolts are seized.

In the pic below I have marked the bolts that we couldn’t move without the risk of breaking the bolt or bushing. I need to replace left and right side.

I am thinking of getting new bolts/plates and some aftermarket bushings. Which do you recommend? I’m trying to avoid buying all new arms.

Edited by zen (see edit history)

You cannot buy oem or Trd bushes seperatley anymore but superpro or strongflex poly bushes are widly used (I have my rear end all in strong flex yellow ones with no significant difference to oem)

The old camber bolts will probably have to be cut to remove the arms but most people just replace the bolts as the camber washers and nuts will go again these are available from Mr t or wiffbitz stock them too!

Judging by the condition of the subframe I would be looking at the condition of the body structure too as these are old cars now and and some are requiring major welding etc.

Definitely worth checking all of your brake/fuel pipes too judging on the condition of your underside.

Everything checked out for MOT a while ago. New goodridge brake lines are waiting to be installed, as a precaution.

However all brake/fuel lines are in good condition. Under the car it's very dirty atm, as I live in a new neighbourhood, which is still under construction. Roads are still to be done...

Floor is rock hard , which is a must for our MOT. But the subframes definitely have some surface rust. One of my mechanics works a lot on Porsches (911, 944, 928 etc.) and was surprised by it's overall condition especially being a car from the UK (I'm in Holland). The plan is to do a complete new undercoating, powdercoating all suspension parts and subframes with new bushings next year.

Car is bone stock, apart from wheels and springs.

Ok back on track. Mechanically the car is tip top, apart from the alignment. Getting new bolts/washers and some bushings.

Unsure which bushings are recommended. Superpro, R2, other?

Edited by zen (see edit history)

Why would you want to change the bushes if they don't need changing? The bolts just sleeve through the bushing. If its just the alignment you want adjusting all you need is two alignment cams, two washers and two nuts. You'll probably need to drill off the old nuts to get the original bolts out of the frame. If you don't need to break the ball joint I'd leave well alone and just run the new cam bolt through the original bush.

I recently fitted new arms and I was surprised how good and firm the original arm ball joints and bushes were after 110k miles so unless you have knocks or excessive play why bother? I only bothered changing out because I am on a mission to renew everything front and rear with new OEM parts while they are still available.