The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Needed Please (Manual or Auto's)

Guest Girlracer

Guest Girlracer

Hi there. Im on the hunt for a beast. Can you please give me your opinions between manual & auto's. (Ive always drove manual's) Also is there any difference in power, or common faults that occur. I went to a garage the other day to see if they had any in, ( had 1, was an auto, but it was 12k, bit to much for my 1st one) but then tried selling me a skyline :eek:

Also any other advice on buying one & things to look out for is be much appreciated

Tina ;)

ps. its a turbo im after

See that blue bar above? See that button labelled Search? It's just dying to be pressed.. can you feel it?... can you feel it calling you?..."press me"...."search for auto manual"....

Seriously, it's been done to death waaaay too many times mate.

Ah the great auto Vs. Manual debat. Well i too have only ever driven manuals, but i read somewhere that with a TT there's so much power it's wise to have to hands on the wheel at all times. I have read on here that the auto actually is a little better (power wise) than the manual but can't say for definate. I'd still love to have mine in a manual, but i love the auto box and can't find fault. You need to take both out and see how you feel.

Auto's are sligtly cheaper too than manuals, and a Skyline as i have only just found out is more money insurance wise than a Sup. Just keep looking round and try a few before you buy.

The manual/auto thead is pretty much discussed every week, it will be very worthwhile making your self a cuppa and searching and reading through all the threads:)

Having driven both many times I was won over by the auto as all my pre-conceptions of it being dull and boring quickly faded away, but I ended up with the manual as I knew that I would have regretted not buying a manual.

Both are great but the auto is very smooth and is more consistant to putting good times down the 1/4 mile.

Normally manual's are around 2k more that the equivalent auto, so the auto you saw for 12k would be put up for around 14k in manual form.

Just try both see what you think then search the pro's and cons of each.

Good luck.

Tina,

Have a look in the FAQ section

( The mkiv Supra Owners Club > Technical > FAQs and Articles > Technical Discussions

Threads like this might help :

Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

and this What to look for when buying a Supra

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit :

Blimey, there was no replies to GirlRacer's post when I started typing my post!

Guest Girlracer

Thanks for the reply.

I did try a search & it would'nt work (probably coz im not a paid member yet)

thats why i had to ask the question.

And on the forums a lots of people come for help & advice :)

Tina - good thing with the manual is you can control the turbo #2 alot easier. I've found mine to be not clunky - providing you keep the gearbox oil clean & topped up.

In traffic it can be a real PITA - stopping, starting etc. The manual certainly isn't as smooth driving experience as an auto. An auto will always change gear faster. Manual's are more popular .. amoung buyers. People tend to dismiss the auto.

If I could buy my Supra again ... I'd go for an Auto.

• 1 month later...

Mines an auto and I luuuuuuuurv it ! and I dont miss a manual one bit. However, if you want to run huge amounts of power, then 6spd getrag box will handle it much better than the 4spd auto which Ive been told needs upgrading at around 500hp.

Hi there. Im on the hunt for a beast. Can you please give me your opinions between manual & auto's. (Ive always drove manual's) Also is there any difference in power, or common faults that occur. I went to a garage the other day to see if they had any in, ( had 1, was an auto, but it was 12k, bit to much for my 1st one) but then tried selling me a skyline :eek:

Also any other advice on buying one & things to look out for is be much appreciated

Tina ;)

ps. its a turbo im after

Fancy coming on here and asking questions :eek:

how rude lol use the search button :read: nah only kiddin Tina, the best advice is drive both as its your opinion that matters regarding the auto/manual choice.

Mine is a uk tt auto and i love it.

As for problems and what to look out for, i'd recomend you took someone who's owned or knows a bit or lot about the mkiv with you if you can, second pair of eyes looking round is always good.

Check out all the differant specs as theres a few,, uk tt auto, uk tt manual, j spec rz, gz, aerotop etc.

The uk models are supposed to be cheaper to insure along with lots of other differances depending whether the car is stock or not, brakes, turbo's, wheels, leather, heated seats, traction controll etc etc so you really need to sus out what spec you want.

As a rule of thumb the uk cars fetch more dosh but usually have more miles on them but are much harder to find than the imports, take a look in the Autotrader theres 100's of mkiv's mostly imports.

Regards

Dnk

i've never driven an auto supe but i've been out in one, don't dismiss it. best thing you can go is have a go in a good example of each type and see what you think.

[filthy mind] it's always good if a girl likes to shift stick though [/filthy mind]

I have a manual, wouldnt even think about the auto when i was looking, but since I have driven an auto and would be quite happy to have one now. As the others said - drive em both and see which one you like the best/feel more comfortable with !

Tina ;)

Drive both to see which one suits you better.

i went for a manual and dont regret it one bit..mind you, the gearbox is a clunky bugger....but sooo much fun to drive...6th gear is great for crusing and saving on fuel....(when ones feeling a bit stingy)

:D

Mine gives me 20mpg in london...mainly city driving and blasting between traffic lights :taped:

Get a member to take you out for a testdrive.....if you were in london I would have obliged. :thanku: