The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SPEEDING - BEEN LUCKY FOR 15 YEARS - BUT no MORE.

herbiemercman

Hi Dudes, I was not in my Supra, but my Merc, it will sit all day at 120, but i try to keep a good look out for the "sniper vans". If you are travelling down from Glasgow on the M/Way going south, some parts of this wide, quiet road are totaly safe, bit like the Autobahn in Germany, but here in our "do good nation" you have to keep at 70 MPH, feels like you are doing 30 MPH on an A road. Speeding in the UK is no longer about safety, it is about money, and nearly all motorists know this. I will drive fast where appropriate as mentioned here, but equally i drive very carefully in populated places and where there are parked cars and schools etc.

Not long ago there was talk in high places about lifting the UK M/Way speed limit to 80 MPH, they decided not to do it as some said, and i agree, that motorists would just move up to just under 90 MPH, as they currently do with the 80 MPH level. You all must have joined in with the 79MPH convoys on most M/Ways, and for the most part this has worked, the coppers look the other way.

I think most of us now realise that congestion is spreading exponentialy and just keeping moving on M/Ways is a luxury, however there are still places where you can let go and drive carefully at good speeds, this what i was doing. I was doing about 90 MPH and i spotted a yellow van on a bridge a mile away, i thought it could have been a "Wimpey" van guy having his lunch, i slowed down just in case, it was a sniper hitting you without warning, (entrapment), as soon as you round the curve on the M/Way and see him, you are "shot", you have done nothing dangerouse and you know you have been duped by a Council worker on minimum wage with state of the art camera, this costs you £100 and three points, for some this could cost them their job. This situation IMO is not the same as the drunken / drug plebs who drive dangerously in built up areas, but "one size fits all" here in our righteouse nation, apparently 30% of motorists have no insurance, etc. Many good motorists are being screwed, we are responsible people who pay our way, and are an easy target.

Cumbria police are the worst in the UK along with Wales for OTT hammering motorists, they have had to relent about the justification of safety as the stats are going the other way, Cumbria had 46,000 speeding covictions last year, and yes, no stats to justify.

They offer a "Speed Awareness Cource" for £100, the caviat being you have not been on such a cource for the past 3 years, also there is a spped threshold, but Cumbria do not tell you what it is ? most other Police Authorities quote their threshold on line, Nottingham is 86 MPH, as is Birmingham, for exceeding the M/Way 70 MPH max, may be Cumbria want to keep desparate motorists cooking for a while, for people who need to avoid the 3 points for their jobs, insurance etc?

I work hard and pay lots of tax and i get pi..ed off with the covert ways we are treated here in the UK, especially when we have imported thousands of strangers, who lay low and take what they can, and are imune from this, and i do not include the Jamaicans, they were genuine, and created a unfair by-pass for the bad imports, we all know who they are. Sorry, i am having a moan, but i know many of you will agree ? ? Herbie.:(

likewise got caught last year , not my fault it was easier to to put my foot down and avoid a van who slammed on when he saw rthe speed van , woman close behind me so would of been a 3 car pile up . anyway I took the points and the fine , bollocks to the awareness course , to have some idiot talk to you like a child , plus you pay them £100 for the pleasure

I went and sat the speed awareness course, found it quite informative tbh, must admit the room went abit silent when the guy was asking people why they drive fast i put my hand up and blurted out FUN! oh shit did i get some strange looks lol.

Herbie, I sympathise. For weeks after any long motorway journey I dread the postman bringing a NIP. On the M25 a chance to exceed 70 MPH would be a fine thing. There's usually several 'mini cabs' doing 60 in lane 3 or 4 - but let's not go there, for the sake of our blood pressure.

Your'e only annoyed because you've been speeding for years and not been caught. Nobody is perfect, hell Ive done ridiculous speeds, got caught doing 34 in a 30 (true story) Got off with it though.

If you're doing 75/80 on the M/way youre pretty much going to be alright as thats the speed most people drive at.

Nice one Shawn, lol, The fines are designated as "Fixed Penalties" and currently stand at £100 + 3 points. I was talking to some friends in the pub yesterday and suprisingly they are in the main steady sedate drivers but have six points on their licences, all from the mobile sniper vans within 5 miles of where they live, and all knaped doing 36 to 38 MPH.

Basically they do not look for the vans and they move around twice a week, always after a curve or bend. Most of them have had to just concentrate on their speed and one guy said he uses he cruise control. Fu..king sad situation. Herbie.

I have heard this too but not sure if its true... if it is then i'm just going to quit my job and speed everywhere :D

Yes it is true.

I think if you pay the fixed penalty then its just that fixed at £100, but if you elect to go to court and lose then its proportional to your earnings and you are means tested. So it pays to be a speeding dole dosser, and you have the added bonus of having all day to spend how you like, down the pub, working on your car, enjoying the spring weather while the rest of us are at work. Great system.

Nice one Shawn, lol, The fines are designated as "Fixed Penalties" and currently stand at £100 + 3 points. I was talking to some friends in the pub yesterday and suprisingly they are in the main steady sedate drivers but have six points on their licences, all from the mobile sniper vans within 5 miles of where they live, and all knaped doing 36 to 38 MPH.

Basically they do not look for the vans and they move around twice a week, always after a curve or bend. Most of them have had to just concentrate on their speed and one guy said he uses he cruise control. Fu..king sad situation. Herbie.

The nice thing about the old but very affective cruise and speed limit on your old W210 Herbie is that you can set speed limits easily. After I got done on a average speed limit stretch close to me I use to use it all the time until it become second nature. Miss that old tank.

I think if you pay the fixed penalty then its just that fixed at £100, but if you elect to go to court and lose then its proportional to your earnings and you are means tested. So it pays to be a speeding dole dosser, and you have the added bonus of having all day to spend how you like, down the pub, working on your car, enjoying the spring weather while the rest of us are at work. Great system.

Apologies, you are right :)

Yep, el-bandido, That is what the powers that be say, but NOT many law abiding motorists, where did you have your speed limiter fitted ? lol.

I've had one ticket before. I took the points and the fine without moaning because I was breaking the law; there have been plenty of times since where if my luck went the other way I would have lost my licence. We're all rolling the dice when we/if we speed, but you do so knowing the potential consequences. I agree that 70 is too slow for an empty motorway, but those are the rules and we all know that. Either that or limit your right foot to night time, much lower chance of being caught by a mobile camera.

What happens if your going x amount over the limit ? you have to go to court, does the fine then become

linked to what you earn ?

I'm reading the minimum fine is £100 + 3 points, that all goes out

the window if your summoned to court.

Here's the guidelines for the UK, scroll down the page to below speed enforcement

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-offences-guidance-fixed-penalty-notices

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)