The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine refresh (not rebuild)

TuneR

Hey guys, i am planning on giving the engine a refresh so im planning on getting an engine gasket kit. I have a small front or rear seal leak, stem seals need doing and also having a hot starting issue which was due to me replacing the vacuum pipes, having the injectors cleaned and painting the manifolds (hoping this will sort it as i reused all old gaskets). This is to refresh the engine too so I'll also be getting a new timing belt, water pump, crank pulley along with the two breather pipes i missed on the outside of the valve covers. Is there anything else anyone would think of doing at this time or for future proofing rather than a rebuild?

Ill be starting by sourcing the parts, probably from UAE Amayama as I've a sibling in the desert currently...

This is on the basis that the OEM Jap turbos will stay in the car until they die, after that they will be replaced with either a rebuilt set or a small quick spooling single. Further on from that ill be stripping the underside again and replacing the bushs, suspension, etc. and eventually getting a windows out respray. Planning on all this and i was sick of the car last year and about to sell lol.

Parts shopping list

Seal and gasket set (inc. valve stem seals) 04111-46056

Timing belt 13568-49036

TB tensioner 13540-46012 or 13540-46030?

TB idler bearing 13505-46041

Water pump, OEM 16100-49846 or 16100-49847?

Crank pulley, OEM 13407-46020

Crank pulley bolt 90119-18002

Crank timing pulley 13521-46040

Breather hose: turbo side 12262-46021

Breather hose: intake side 12261-46031

I would recommend Teflon valve stem seals , SSI has them or Chris Wilson

I would leave the head gasket in situ unless you have issue , opening the block can cause more issues than its worth

You can do the Valve stem seals in Situ , Colin did mine in SSI ; he made himself a nice tool to do it

If you haven't visited your coil packs in a while you may well find the coil loom plugs are very brittle and you'll break a few pulling them off the coil packs. So I'd recommend you get 6 of the plugs in ready to change the lot out while you have the loom wires hanging. Easy enough to swap out, all you need is a very small flat head screwdriver and decent eyesight.

You'll also likely find the 'number 7' loom clips trunking the coil pack leads are brittle and crumble when opened so it'd be a good idea to have a few clips spare. Generic will do if you are in a hurry as the Toyota ones took 10 weeks to arrive from Japan when i ordered some a few months ago.

When you tackle the top of the engine be prepared for bits of plastic from the coil pack plugs and clips to fall into the spark plug recesses that will need withdrawing before you remove the spark plugs. Space is tight with the plug in place but you don't want bits of plastic falling down plug holes.

There is a guide on this site on how to change the stem seals that includes all the part numbers required for tackling that particular job.

Are you removing the engine? If so I'd consider a new oil pump, all the little turbo air and water hoses, the water hoses to/from the oil filter housing, thermostat, possibly engine mounts, oil pressure sensor.

Not planning to if it can be helped, i was thinking of the oil pump alright. Vacuum hoses done, water ones not done.

If you haven't visited your coil packs in a while you may well find the coil loom plugs are very brittle and you'll break a few pulling them off the coil packs.

I did them about 3 years ago id say.

How many miles has it done ?

Before i touched it i'd do a leak down test

Around 190k km.

I would recommend Teflon valve stem seals , SSI has them or Chris Wilson

Ya i was hoping to get it up to SSI for them to do once i had the parts collected. Whats the benefit of Teflon over the OEM seals?