The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice on 18" staggered wheel and tyre set up

James Junior

Hi guys,

After a few months of searching I am now happy to confirm I am a Supra owner. I picked up a 6spd manual TT last week. The car is a pre-facelift so not quite what I set out to buy, but it was just too good a car to pass up.

I'll post some proper pictures and information once I have had chance to give it a proper detail...which may be sometime in 2021 if the weather continues like this...

I already have a list of changes I would like to make and first up is to change the wheels and tyres.

The car currently wears an immaculate set of staggered Volk wheels, with 18s up front and 17s at the rear. They look great on the car, very subtle and classy. However, I want to go to 18" wheels all round with a staggered fitment.

I am sure many of you have gone down the same route, so can anyone recommend what width and offset I should be looking at to preserve similar handling characteristics to stock, whilst filling the arches nicely without the need for spacers? The car is fitted with BC adjustable coilovers and I would also like to fit a set of larger K-Sport calipers to the front in time, so looking for something that can also accommodate this set up too.

Also what tyre sizes are people running with this set up to keep the overall rolling radius in keeping with stock? I will be investing in a set of Michelin Pilot Sports to go with the new wheels so keen to get an idea of what I need so I can price everything up.

In the meantime here is a pic of the car as it is currently:

IMG_1738.JPG

Those volks should have their width and offset on them somewhere (might be inside the wheel though), then if you know that you can estimate more easily the type you need to replace them.

The slight problem is handling like stock and filling the arches are sort of mutually exclusive/a compromise. Stock wheels are 17 x 8" and 17 x 9.5" and 50mm offset, which sit 'in' the arch.

Common staggered setups are 18x9" and 18x10" offsets in the 40's should still fit without any rubbing as you moved to the 30's the rear arches may need rolling. Essentially it can get tight with higher widths and offsets to the point even tyre brands and their sidewall profile can effect clearance. It's a hard thing to get right, do you have any pics of a supra with the wheels you like on it, knowing the wheel would help a bit.

Those volks should have their width and offset on them somewhere (might be inside the wheel though), then if you know that you can estimate more easily the type you need to replace them.

The slight problem is handling like stock and filling the arches are sort of mutually exclusive/a compromise. Stock wheels are 17 x 8" and 17 x 9.5" and 50mm offset, which sit 'in' the arch.

Common staggered setups are 18x9" and 18x10" offsets in the 40's should still fit without any rubbing as you moved to the 30's the rear arches may need rolling. Essentially it can get tight with higher widths and offsets to the point even tyre brands and their sidewall profile can effect clearance. It's a hard thing to get right, do you have any pics of a supra with the wheels you like on it, knowing the wheel would help a bit.

Thanks Scooter, that's really useful. I am not looking for anything daft in terms of width and don't want to start messing around with modifying the arches. Just want something that fills the arches better as the current wheels are very recessed, whilst still delivering a good drive.

I am thinking of a set of Japan Racing wheels as I put a set on the MR2 and really pleased with them. I know Volks are the superior wheel and are likely to be lighter, but I am not too hung up on unsprung weight, as whilst I like to drive my cars properly, I won't exactly be chasing lap records.

I think it will be between JR18s and JR25s. Toying with whether to go bronze with red calipers, or silver with yellow. I just did a search under 'Supra JR18' and 'Supra JR25' and by strange providence a load of high quality images of a black Supra wearing these wheels comes up. It looks as though another Supra owner with good photoshop skills has already been pondering the same choice. Visualising what the wheels will actually look like on your car is usually a bit of a leap of faith, so this is massively helpful, especially as it is the same colour as my car.

If any other members are running staggered 18s and would be kind enough to post details of their set ups and some pics that would be useful.

Edited by James Junior (see edit history)

Thanks Scooter, that's really useful. I am not looking for anything daft in terms of width and don't want to start messing around with modifying the arches. Just want something that fills the arches better as the current wheels are very recessed, whilst still delivering a good drive.

The issue with the Supra is that due to the arch fold of almost a cm some people who really want flush wheels have to roll or even flare the arch. You sound like you don't and so looking at the wheels you are after (8.5 front and 9.5 rear?) then I'd say you are going to need mid/high 30's offset (might get away with low 30's but the lower you go the more you risk rubbing), Any 20's I think would definitely rub with stock arches?

I originally had a set of work alloys on mine. 18 inch, 8.5 front 9.5 rear. Both had et31.

245 up front and 265 on rear. Forgot the wall size. But it was the same rolling radius as stock. No rubbing at all at a lowered sensible height.

img]https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/04/508.jpg[/img]image

Edited by kitch79 (see edit history)

Thanks Dunk, I will have a play around with this.

No problem, heres a useful tyre size guide

Rim width---Min tyre width----Ideal tyre width-------Max tyre width

7.0 inches-----195 mm--------205 or 215 mm-----------225 mm

7.5 inches-----205 mm--------215 or 225 mm-----------235 mm

8.0 inches-----215 mm--------225 or 235 mm-----------245 mm

8.5 inches-----225 mm--------235 or 245 mm-----------255 mm

9,0 inches-----235 mm--------245 or 255 mm-----------265 mm

9.5 inches-----245 mm--------255 or 265 mm-----------275 mm

10.0 inches----255 mm--------265 or 275 mm-----------285 mm

10.5 inches----265 mm--------275 or 285 mm-----------295 mm

11.0 inches----275 mm--------285 or 295 mm-----------305 mm

11.5 inches----285 mm--------295 or 305 mm-----------315 mm

12.0 inches----295 mm--------305 or 315 mm-----------325 mm

12.5 inches----305 mm--------315 or 325 mm-----------335 mm

I have :

FRONT : 18x9.5 et15 235/40 REAR : 18x9.5 et15 255/35

Generally it's said this is a too low offset for on stock fenders (especially for the front), but with a proper fender work I don't scrub at all even lowered...

I had say it is the very limit... but it fits...

20180422_191931.jpg 20180422_191915.jpg

Thanks Kitch, that is really useful. Did you have UK spec or uprated brakes on the front?

Just for info the wheel design plays a big part in big brake clearance, ie just having say a 35 offset doesn't ensure clearance (although it has a higher chance the lower the offset you go) it varies wheel to wheel.