The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo - low spool - min 450bhp - street car - na-t - suggestion pls

mk4NAtoTurbo

Hi All

I am currently undertaking the Na-t conversion and purchased a GT45 as part of a kit (acting on someone else's advise).

I have since discovered the GT45 spools at 6000+ rpm but was looking for a something that spools late 3000/ early 4000 for a street car (min 450 bhp).

I have researched into the following turbos which come at different pricing points:

Garret GT4088 $1400

Precision 6266 $1800

Borg Warner s360 $900

Ebay GT35 $280

Borg Warner S300SX3$800

The borg warner & gt35 were kindly put out there as suggestions by Mike2jz on my build thread (http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?348056-Hadouken!-(Na-t-project-2018)/page2&highlight=hadouken)

The rest of the turbo kit is not particularly high end just your usual parts but in the main unbranded.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone have any further suggestions of Turbos that meet the requirements? (min 450 bhp, low spool)

2) Does it make sense to have an expensive turbo in the middle of an otherwise relatively inexpensive kit?

(The idea would then be to upgrade the remainder of the kit over time)

If it makes the car more unique, I am prepared to go to the higher price bracket.

The rest of the car is being built to take well over 500 bhp (suspension, fuel system, tt headgasket, hybrid autobox etc etc)

BK

WOW !!

Dont think you need to go anywhere near that big if 450bhp is your target !!

I'll put it into perspective with my own turbo on a much smaller engine - Owens billet HTA wheeled GTX3073r made over 500bhp at 1.5bar on a 2.0 engine with full boost by 4000rpm !!

I have kept it and will become my "zero lag" option on my forged 2JZ build - should be good for 550bhp top whack and full spool by 2800rpm maybe sooner if I cheat ;) lol

Get a log manifold if spool is your target, nothing bigger than a 3076 with a billet wheel, little bit of work on the head, dont go mad with cams and you should see it fully on song by 3-3500rpm.

J.

I’m at 327rwhp mate. There’s probably an even smaller turbo out there like the Garret that Burna suggested. That’ll spool faster but I would like to make more power in the future so I’m happy with the S360
Thanks man - i think the value proposition of thr s360 makes the most sense at the moment from what im reading

12cm holset hx35 - so responsive, i made 438bhp at 1.2bar and full boost just over 3k in 4rth

im now running 1.4bar but not been back on dyno yet should do 550ish with some more boost ( ill find out later in the year)

This also sounds interesting. Currently available for ~£500.

Let us know how your dyno results go later in the year man!

Do you find the 3k full boost a bit early?? I understand it is personal preference - just for some reasom I have it in my head that 3800-4000 is the sweet spot but thats based just on my gut feeling

WOW !!

Dont think you need to go anywhere near that big if 450bhp is your target !!

I'll put it into perspective with my own turbo on a much smaller engine - Owens billet HTA wheeled GTX3073r made over 500bhp at 1.5bar on a 2.0 engine with full boost by 4000rpm !!

I have kept it and will become my "zero lag" option on my forged 2JZ build - should be good for 550bhp top whack and full spool by 2800rpm maybe sooner if I cheat ;) lol

Get a log manifold if spool is your target, nothing bigger than a 3076 with a billet wheel, little bit of work on the head, dont go mad with cams and you should see it fully on song by 3-3500rpm.

J.

Hey man thanks v helpful.

What other turbos are you taking into consideration for your forged build? Or are you just that happy with the gtx3073 that you dont need to consider anything further?

Also when i say 450bhp i actually mean I want around 400 - 450 whp so im guessing that equates to anywhere between 470-550 bhp depending on the efficiency/flow of the set up.

I will look into the manifold too asap!

Depends how far you’d want to go with the same turbo in the end, but for a lower power level like that, I’d be looking at the likes of:

- Precision 5558 Gen2

- Garrett GTX3076R

Of course, if the goal was more around 600-700 in the end, I’d echo Burna’s suggestion of a GTX3582R. Either that or possibly a Precision 6262 / 6266. You’d get quicker/easier support if going the Garrett option of the two.

I’m not well versed with Borg Warner to know what to suggest. I’ve heard good things about the EFR 8374, but that’s just from reading online - I don’t know anyone that has one.

Depends how far you’d want to go with the same turbo in the end, but for a lower power level like that, I’d be looking at the likes of:

- Precision 5558 Gen2

- Garrett GTX3076R

Of course, if the goal was more around 600-700 in the end, I’d echo Burna’s suggestion of a GTX3582R. Either that or possibly a Precision 6262 / 6266. You’d get quicker/easier support if going the Garrett option of the two.

I’m not well versed with Borg Warner to know what to suggest. I’ve heard good things about the EFR 8374, but that’s just from reading online - I don’t know anyone that has one.

Yep,

GTX3582 is too big and hence laggier for what OP wants

I think the Scooby guys get good results with EFR8374

As for mine - the "big turbo" will be another Owens customised GTX3794HTA with nitrous and every trick I can throw at it lol - should be 850+ and full spool by 4000rpm, and with full V-band its a straight swap for the smaller turbo when we are doing smaller, tighter courses.

J.