The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Weird history...

hazz3r22

Hi,

I have just bought a supra first registered in Japan 31/12/1997. The car is a pre facelift which didn’t make sense to me and is non vvti. I checked the frame code on the vin plate and it is an early car, from what I’ve found online it was made in the first month or so of production. What I can’t figure out is why it was registered for 4 years. I first thought it could have been a showroom car or possibly someone bought it to lock away as an investment? Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

When I imported a car from outside of the UK all the DVLA ask for is year of production and then input that into the V5. I gave the date of production as the date of first registration and that got logged into the V5 as 01/01. Yours has been logged as 31/12. Seems without the original bill of sale they go for the start or end of the year on whatever year is logged into the import documentation. I wouldn't bother contacted DVLA, they only input data and collect taxes and aren't particularly bothered about whats on the date of registration. Leave it for the owner to worry about when the cars reach 40 years old and they'll be wanting to get the tax and MOT exempt status as early as possible; that's a while off yet for your car.

You can see from the how many left site that some Supras are listed manufactured as late as 2012, which is what will be down on their V5 document.

• 1 month later...
Probably a mess up by the dvla when it was imported!

Is it a white go auto with reg ending in wkx?

If this is the car I think you’re on about, do you know the where about of it?? Used to live with the guy who owned this car back in 2012/2013 and noticed the registered date and chassis number didn’t add up too. :blink: