The mkiv Supra Owners Club

American first Japanese imports

Scooter

Just been on Supraforums and it seems the very early 93 cars are starting to make it through to auction over there.

A (admittedly very clean looking) 5 speed manual NA has seemingly sold for $30K.

Jesus !

I have heard from a few people in the US that there not that fussed about having RHD cars over there. Apparently some people are buying later models and keeping them in storage until they can be legally aloud to drive them on the roads

My worry is spare parts are shooting up in prices so im very slowly collecting odds and sods as im not paying £250 for a heater control lol

Another quote from Supraforums

"The 10K mile RSP Supra up for sale now for $150K is assumed to have sold for around $120K to the broker who is trying to sell it now. So they are selling that high for the ultra desirable, rare, low mileage halo cars.

With that being said, your average TT autos are selling in the $37K-45K range and the 6spds are going for $55K and up lately. Thats not even for super desirable color combos or crazy builds, just normal cars. I don't think we're in a bubble, the supply is not there to support the bubble theories. This is just going to be the norm for MKIVs from here on out I think. "

If it is popular, then I'm not sure its good for the rest of us. I'm worried it could see all the trumponians buying up the JDM version's, and a lot less availability of cars and parts to us.

I think it's already happened/happening as the fresh import prices are high now, 'might' get a better deal on later cars as these are still a number of years away from being importable to the US.

My worry is spare parts are shooting up in prices so im very slowly collecting odds and sods as im not paying £250 for a heater control lol

I had to :( still have not checked it works

Worse case scenario , if parts were none existent, is electric fans and a keypad with a PDM (Power distribution Module)

I highly doubt it can run a viscous fan

ECU Master do a cost effective PDM , at the age of the car , new looms may not be too far off for most owners in the future

Not much of a consolation prize if you're forced to sell as you can't afford the parts prices to keep it running though :(

youd think by now companys would be starting to make parts , but that doesn't seem to be the case , prices are high , but what are you buying , parts that are older and will only last a short while

Last year I had somebody from the USA message me on Facebook, they had seen a photo of my Supra in some comments on a page.

When I said it’s a 1996 car which they wouldn’t be able to import yet, they said they would buy it and temporarily store it until they are legally allowed to drive it :rlol:

• 1 month later...

Any more stories of JDM supras sold to the US?

I see some 94 cars for sale recently at quite low prices compared to the above.. Maybe worth holding off? Would a similar condition 93 car be advertised at a much higher price due to the eligibility for export to the US? Has anyone witnessed any of that?

All I would say is at present it seems no one in the states appears to be looking for a Supra from here. I would have thought perhaps some importers here, now the cars are very expensive to import to the uk, might have looked at exporting them?

I think if the American demand keeps up as we go into the next few years when obviously 94 on cars can be imported by them then we will naturally see a value here that's about the US going rate less import fees/costs. I would say the recent rhd imports that have fetched top money have been good ones and well prepared. Common sense has sort of been bypassed imo and there is a real bubble like surge in interest, but if demand is there then I spose it will continue, all the time prices are stable/increasing then I spose the is no perceived issue buying in?

In a few years they will struggle for parts i think making it worse for us. Not as much parts or breakers out there as there used to be and prices are high now. We can trust those dummys and their fan boy love to turn every rhd supra part to gold like they did with their own classics. My advice...get hoarding everyone.

My stock red Uk tt6 is registered 1st August 93 one of the early Uk cars (the 1st red Uk tt6 out of the factory) I wonder what the yanks would make of it?

Theyll find some microscopical excuse to make it worth a trillion im sure

With Supra inflation running at 30% in Japan the trade predictions that stock TT6's will soon match NSX's in value is well within reach in just a few more years. On the way owners can revel in increasing values piling extra costs onto insurance underwriting and higher parts prices. These cars are destined to become garage ornaments costing lots of money per mile to drive, think mine is already there.

Well if it truly is the highest spec out there as I've read (did US cars get heated seats, and diff coolers?) and it's a clean one like yours is then I think they might go high. Just check out autotrader.com for some of the asking prices on the rarer/low mileage models, a couple of them are over $100K!

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)