The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hadouken! (Na-t project 2018)

mk4NAtoTurbo

Hello everyone

First ever car project - would really appreciate any observations, advice and comments.

To be clear from the start - I'm new to the game so am open to any input or suggestions however basic - please feel free to get stuck in!

Background

Bought an imported jspec in late 2015, drove it around for 2016, kept it locked up in a garage for 2017, started the project in January 2018.

I have read through an archive of the posts, links and documentation of the old NA-t club which has now ceased to exist. There is however, a thread on another supra forum which calls itself the 'NA-T bible' and was a good starting point for me. (One of the main outstanding issues I have to resolve is whether I need to do something to the gearbox - the bible says for autos the na-t is much simpler than for the manuals).

The car:

1997 mk4 NA auto, j spec

Genuine Veilside kit - (front, side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler), bilstein suspension, lightweight alloys

Around 70k miles on the clock

White

Otherwise completely stock

The vision:

-1 - Engine: NA-t conversion with remap to 400-450 bhp

-2 - Body work: Complete overhaul of kit

-3 - Interior: Complete internal refurb - leather seats, carbon dip cockpit, media system

-4 - Refurbs: Alloys, headlights

-5 - Paintwork: Full respray with black & white colour scheme

Extras (if financially feasible):

-Rear diffuser

-Toyo tyres

-Front air diverters

-Roof spoiler

-Front splitter (although less bothered about this because there are so many speed bumps round my way I would just be paranoid most of the time)

-Carbon boot lip (likely to be out of my budget by the time I get around to this part!)

-Custom outer rim cut alloys

-----------------------------------------

Where I am as of today:

Car went in the garage first week of Feb.

-1 - Engine:

I purchased a second hand turbo kit of a guy in Brighton who was putting a kit together to turbo up his gs300. In the end he couldnt fit the kit and actually undertake his project as he was starting up his own car wrapping business and needed the money (Luke Bullen - best of luck mate!)

The kit is as follows:

New Manifold Wrapped in Heat Material

New Turbo GT45 (prefect for anything around 400bhp)

Greddy Blue Emanage with boost sensor

FFIM with welded Vacuum ports

FFIC + Pipes

Apex Filter

90MM Throttle body with new gasket

44M Tial Wastegate

Modified Fuel Rail

225 Walbro Fuel Pump

Large Fuel Braided Lines.

Fuel Pressure Guage

2jzge Extra Sump

In addition, I have purchased:

#BOV - HKS SQV2

#Downpipe - custom built

#Oil feed and drain - custom built

#Injectors - HKS 1000cc - purchased from ShawnPreece on these forums - top geeza!

#Turbo timer - HKS type0 - purchased from TwoSocks on these forums

#Defi Gauges , boost, Egt gauge, pillar pod and controller - purchased from 214Supra on these forums - wicked car collection btw (TT supra, Single turbo supra,lexus is 250(?) and 2002 NSX in pristine condition!)

#Braided brake lines - Goodridge stainless steel

I am about to also purchase the UK front brake kit from whifbitz (http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/toyota/supra/brake-parts/big-brake-kits/toyota-1996.html). It's true that I could potentially source the individual parts more cheaply but basically couldn't be bothered.

-2 - Body work: Complete overhaul of kit

I like the veilside skirts so I will be keeping them.

Purchased:

#Do-luck v2 front bumper

#Undertray

#APR carbon front lip

#LOOKING FOR A DUCKTAIL - currently the no.1 choice for me is the Carbon Creations Raymer ducktail (https://www.google.com/url?hl=en-GB&q=https://www.andysautosport.com/products/carbon_creations__113715.html&source=gmail&ust=1522332444651000&usg=AFQjCNEpz_M_3DtRTueTlCwidOj21rZ2Uw)

#Next purchase will be the Trial Rear bumper

I don't know if the spats will fit with the trial rear etc so need to make a decision on them.

The guy installing the turbo now reckons we should be able to get at least 500 - 550bhp.

Updates on (3) interior (4) Refurbs (5) Paintwork to come shortly. Will upload pics when I work out how to properly.

Hoping to be on road and good to go realistically by mid-May.

BK

Edited by mk4NAtoTurbo (see edit history)

You may want to join the Automatic gearbox group by DavidP if your going na-t you will need to beef up the box and david is the man in the know
Thanks man I'm going to look for it right now.

To be honest gearbox was a complete oversight on my part so this is now potentially a new, massive, expensive headache.

Before i did anything i'd have the car up on a ramp and give the underneath a thorough inspection
Hey man

For sure that makes sense. I would normally undertake a project like by doing a lot more due diligence.

Unfortunately what happened was i was originally just going to make cosmetic changes to interior and exterior.

When i took it to the local jap car guru he suggested the turbo.

Then a decent kit became available for a decent price, i bought it and things just moved on from there.

So i've ended up making a lot of ad hoc decisions.

The mechanic up in Manchester confirmed the car was in good condition mechanically etc and he has pretty much finished installing the kit. I hope to have some pics to post up shortly.

I will ask him what his comments are relating to the original inspection of the car & put them up here.

Before i did anything i'd have the car up on a ramp and give the underneath a thorough inspection

+1 on underside including suspension overhaul. Also you may want to consider auto box coolers if you end up anywhere near 500 hp

The trial rear does away with the spats as they are part of the bumper. Good luck with your build and remember do not cut costs with the safety items

+1 on underside including suspension overhaul. Also you may want to consider auto box coolers if you end up anywhere near 500 hp

The trial rear does away with the spats as they are part of the bumper. Good luck with your build and remember do not cut costs with the safety items

Underside - tnx noted i will chase this up asap.

Trial rear/ spats - tnx noted

Autobox cooler - u know i actually asked someone about this 2 days ago as I noticed a 13 row oil cooler for sale on the forum. His feedback was "the pipes would coat quite a bit" so not worth it. I considered that the end of the conversation but based on what you have suggested will do some more research.

Also re: safety items - 100% agreed - that really drove my decision to buy a new brake kit as opposed to used.

Underside - tnx noted i will chase this up asap.

Trial rear/ spats - tnx noted

Autobox cooler - u know i actually asked someone about this 2 days ago as I noticed a 13 row oil cooler for sale on the forum. His feedback was "the pipes would coat quite a bit" so not worth it. I considered that the end of the conversation but based on what you have suggested will do some more research.

/QUOTE]

Take it from somebody who has been on the HP hike on an auto and killed a box or two you will need to keep the box temps down as it's heat and torque on changes that kills the stock autobox. For reference I still have two coolers on mine even though it is an SRD built box running 700 hp so always better to be safe than sorry

Nice plans mate :) main bit of advice from a quick glance would be to remember to remove the terrys chocolate orange from the throttle body before installation as that may restrict your air flow ;)

Looks like you have for nice build plans ahead of you there mare. Thread made for good reading.

Shawn, that just did make me chuckle lol :)

Take it from somebody who has been on the HP hike on an auto and killed a box or two you will need to keep the box temps down as it's heat and torque on changes that kills the stock autobox. For reference I still have two coolers on mine even though it is an SRD built box running 700 hp so always better to be safe than sorry
Thanks a lot man I will now take this into serious consideration.

What do you think of something like this?

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=347703

Would it do the job?

Nice plans mate :) main bit of advice from a quick glance would be to remember to remove the terrys chocolate orange from the throttle body before installation as that may restrict your air flow ;)
Haha yea thanks for that!

That pic was actually taken by the guy who sold me the turbo kit - I thought the Choc Orange was actually quite a good way to illustrate the size of part so have kept the pic in my archive for reference!

When i first saw it I was buzzing because it looked (to my untrained eyes at least) like a nice big turbo... big power etc ..

but I have since read that a big ass turbo isnt always a good thing because it can result in massive lags which spoil the driving experience? Personally I dont mind a bit of turbo lag but i dunno lets see.

The mechanic is currently saying that he expects the turbo to kick in from 4000rpm onwards. As far as I remember my Supra is a high revving car but its been so long since i drove it that I can't say for certain how this is going to turn out.

Looks like you have for nice build plans ahead of you there mare. Thread made for good reading.

Shawn, that just did make me chuckle lol :)

Thanks man I will keep it updated regularly and appreciate your input.

Main things concerning me now is the autobox cooling and suspension.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

Thanks man I will keep it updated regularly and appreciate your input.

Main things concerning me now is the autobox cooling and suspension.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss!!

/QUOTE]COUPLE OF POINTS FOR REFERENCE:

1) BrentAcre are the only insurance company to have offered me insurance on this supra (£1937 p/a - 1 yr no claims - 0 points on license - driving since 2004 - all mods declared)

2) AdrianFlux could not insure me because of my postcode (E18 - south woodford - actually one of the most expensive parts of East/NE London!?)

3) I originally intended to make only cosmetic changes to the car - interior / exterior. My budget was ~£5k

I have so far already spent ~£7k with another £5k minimum to come.

My advise to anyone new to the game is do your research, make a reasonable budget & stick to it - ***not just £££ but time as well***

You can literally waste your whole life on this stuff - the only way to prevent this is by putting limits on yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

COUPLE OF POINTS FOR REFERENCE:

1) BrentAcre are the only insurance company to have offered me insurance on this supra (£1937 p/a - 1 yr no claims - 0 points on license - driving since 2004 - all mods declared)

2) AdrianFlux could not insure me because of my postcode (E18 - south woodford - actually one of the most expensive parts of East/NE London!?)

3) I originally intended to make only cosmetic changes to the car - interior / exterior. My budget was ~£5k

I have so far already spent ~£7k with another £5k minimum to come.

My advise to anyone new to the game is do your research, make a reasonable budget & stick to it - ***not just £££ but time as well***

You can literally waste your whole life on this stuff - the only way to prevent this is by putting limits on yourself.

/QUOTE]

Footman James?

Try Livingstone Warman ins brokers, they have merged with a bigger broker but worth a call, they used

to cover my TRD with all mods declared, body kit, wheels, fmic, exhaust, decat, bc, fcd, etc, they were the club

broker on another forum

Try Livingstone Warman ins brokers, they have merged with a bigger broker but worth a call, they used

to cover my TRD with all mods declared, body kit, wheels, fmic, exhaust, decat, bc, fcd, etc, they were the club

broker on another forum

Tnx man - im in discussions with them now.