The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1 owner UK MkIV Auto sold at auction - £11k

Guest Rsb

I was watching this live online today, quite cool to be able to remotely see it all happening live.

https://online.handh.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/84/lot/39848/?url=%2Fm%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F84%2F%2F%3Fpage%3D2

£11k for a decent UK Auto with 12m MOT etc seems reasonable but low considering all the discussion about agreed insurance valuations even taking into account the reduced value of Autos compared to manuals. Difficult to be sure how good it is without seeing it as MOT says no advisories but had a whole list of failures late last year and doesn’t seem to have been driven in last few years.

Maybe the market isn’t as strong for some reason? I guess any classic car is only worth what someone on the day will pay for it.

Edited by Rsb (see edit history)

Any transaction is dependent on who comes to buy it and how much they are prepared to pay. A classic car auction (with some high end stock and therefore presumably knowledgeable buyers) provides a good market indicator as much as any other sale. It’s a real time sale that happened today so as accurate to the point of being true and in the public domain and are used by most classic car magazines I read as a good barometer for the market.

Something is only ever worth what someone will pay for it on any given day or time. What is interesting is that there was certainly no frenzy over a decent UK Supra and it provided a comparison for other classic car prices relative to the Supra which is perhaps most surprising. I watched the auction for a while but had poor internet access so struggled later on but I believe from a friend who was also watching that a good Peugeot 205 GTI went for £20k and there have been well documented fast Fords going for above £50k at auctions in recent times.

I saw this car I was following it for a while when I saw the mot failur s on it and the rusty tops on the suspension and elsewhere I stopped following it , IMO it needed quite a bit of work to strip back the rust, but I don’t think this is a true value of the car as when done it would fetch double what the person paid for it, as for the fast ford money values they have been quite high for a few years I know as I had an rs1600i . And imo the supra values haven’t even had the time to go up yet but when they do you will probably see good examples go past the 50 k Mark in the next couple of years.

Looking at the pictures it is not exactly mint so 11k seems inline with the current pricing.

I can see from the pictures much work required to get any where near an very good example.

I see this car more of a barn find especially looking at the under bonnet picture.

Looking at the pictures it is not exactly mint so 11k seems inline with the current pricing.

I can see from the pictures much work required to get any where near an very good example.

I see this car more of a barn find especially looking at the under bonnet picture.

I agree, for a engine to get corrosion on the cast alu parts it has to of been open to the elements for quite some time

Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

That sounds pretty crappy, along with "Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)"

Since then its passed MOT, so presume its been addressed?

Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

That sounds pretty crappy, along with "Offside Seat belt anchorage prescribed area is excessively corroded (5.2.6)"

Since then its passed MOT, so presume its been addressed?

That sound really rotten! It actually sound like the one that was dragged out of that garden, whatever happened to that one?!?

I doubt it's totally sorted in the way most of us would like, so yes metal cut out and welded in so its strength is back in the vital areas but it's still going to be a rusty old girl around the other bits and only a matter of time more remedial work is required. But then it's £20K less than the white low mile UK auto (that might well not be mint underneath) that was recently up for sale so a healthy budget to do a complete refresh.

I watched the auction live and the hammer went down at £11k unless there was some weird interruption of the feed as that’s what I saw was the last bid and then ‘sold’ came up. I can only assume there were add on fees perhaps? All the sold cars I saw have different total final selling prices some even with pence added so almost certainly the online prices include additional fees.

Will be interesting to hear the buyer’s story if he is known by someone and what the true condition of it is. Great if another one is rescued.