The mkiv Supra Owners Club

18 or 19" what would look best?

Thomas.B

Hi!

So am just about to order new rims and I'm going with Jr21

8.5" front and 9.5" rears

19 would be with 235/35 front and 265/30 rear.

18 would be with 235/40 front and 265/35 rear.

Would ideally want wider rims but they only come in these widths and 11" and that won't fit sadly.

What would you choose? I want to fill upp the wheelhouse nicely without the tyres rubbing anywhere.

What would you choose? I want to fill upp the wheelhouse nicely without the tyres rubbing anywhere.

The offset can have a big effect on the look too? If you are retaining the rear arch inner lip then to get the look most people like, filling the arch and being close to inline with the bodywork when looking from the front or back, then close attention to the offset is crucial. 265 isn't so wide at the rear so the offset may be ok at 30mm possibly even less? 9.5" rear stock 17's are 50mm and sit too far in for looks in most peoples eyes.

Too low an offset and you risk it looking good/ok but the tyres rubbing on the arch lip (hence why lots of people 'roll' their arches). You obviously have no inner arch rubbing/clearance issues.

I have JR20's on my car.

I had to go for 19s to clear my front brakes. Probably would of gone for an 18" on rear with more tyre sidewall but they only do the 11J in 19" diameter.

I got mine from jdmdistro.com and if you go on their website you can see sizes, but also custom offset range that is available.

I went 9.5J fronts et37 which fit fine but room for a 5+mm spacer, 255 tyre at present. And rear is 11J et35 (max et they do) which meant rear arches needed flaring so that I could get an 305 rear tyre to clear.

I have OEM front with a carbon lip with ridox sides and spats.

What ET to go for?

40mm would probably be consider to 'into' the arch, it's only 10mm more sticking out than a stock 17" wheel, definitely won't rub.

22mm could make it close to rubbing the lip as it's 28mm further out than a stock 17", but with your 265 tyres could be ok without any arch work, it is hard to say specifically unless someone has a 9.5" with that or very close to that offset.

If you go 18" or 19" the rolling diameter will be much the same regarding filling the arches, unless you don't mind your spedometer being 10% or so out. My wheels have that concave design also and I went 18" for ride quality and traction.

Very good site to calculate what wheel and tyre combo will keep your spedometer accuarate:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

This is the standard Supra wheel and trye setup.

Front - Alloy 17 x 8j +50, Tyre 235 45 R17

Rear - Alloy 17 x 9.5j +50, Tyre 255 40 R17

Here's a tyre guide for what width is ideally suitable:

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html

Here's another thread where rolled arches and maximum offsets were discussed:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?267184-Maximum-offsets-on-rolled-arches

There is 11" too but only with ET 25

I think I'm going with the 19's as I think the total look would be better with the kit.

But ideally I'd want 19*11 on the rear but with ET 25 would that even be possible? My tyre guy says it would be highly likely it would rub..

Here's a few shots of mine with my various wheel choices during my ownership.

The first image is the latest, with the current 19" wheels fitted. Personally for aesthetics I think they look the best.

The other two are both 18" wheels, but it'll give you an idea of the difference between solid black, or a polished lip, and how that affects the look.

Being honest, I didn't notice much difference in handling or comfort going from 18s to 19s, however, I had tein coilovers fitted with the 18s, and went back to stock shocks with lowering springs when I fitted the 19s imageimageimage

Mark: thanks I have emailed my guy to see if he can fix it :)

Mk4Gaz thanks alot! It'll be 19's and your pics helped me :)

Thanks alot everyone! I'm just gonna try to get 10-11" wide with 285-295 back tyre, that would be ideal for me. These rims are purely for daily drive/play, I have a set 18" for track.

What ET would be good rear for a 285-295 tyre and 10,5-11" wide rim? 15-40 is available.

My tyre guy said that the wholes in the rim would be drilled after paint in this case... Would that be visible when bolts are on? I think no as the bolts would cover this?