The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI second cat advice needed .........HELP

Matt _Aero top_

Hi folks

I'm in the market for a second cat and have been offered one in good condition off a VVTI .

Now I understand for it to fit my non VVTI I'll need to blank the oxygen sensor port off but I've been told VVTI cat doesn't have the honeycomb on the inside , surely this would render it from being a catalyst .

Can anyone clear this up and help me out in if this would be ok on my car for the emissions test as I have a first decat so totally reliant on the second for MOT day

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, Ive got a VVTI Tip and Iv'e just checked my second cat (which is off) and there is no oxygen sensor port on it, and yes they do appear to have a straight through pipe at the position of the normal honeycomb area on pre VVTI, I'm assuming that around this area there is some honeycomb but you can't see it.

I put my 1st cat back in so I now go through the MOT with no problems, and this does not seem to effect the BPU power.

Defo a different setup on the vvti innards, I think they are cheaper brand new and possibly another facelift tweak for reducing costs/recognising they were over engineered in the first place (ie two honeycomb cats was overkill). So I suspect it 'may' be not quite so good a catalyst as a prefacelift, but then perhaps the design is better, or perhaps vvti made emissions better at the tested rpms and so it didn't need as good a 2nd cat? Difficult to say if this is going to be your only cat added whether it then would breeze an mot?