The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my longlife exhaust

Dave

I had a longlife exhaust system fitted a while back now ,noticed last year it was blowing, so thought it could be the flange gasket as the exhust was a 2nd CAT back system AS STATED ON THE WARRANTY.so took it to my mechanic mate put it on the lift and to my suprise the exhaust fitters had cut the 2nd cat off the pipe and left me with a metre of standard exhaust they even removed the the aluminium cover ,so this was the piece that was blowing with a small hole in it ,contacted longlife to explain and after much wrangling they have agreed to pay for the pipe if i pay labour as the piece that is faulty is not longlife,but it should have been ,not very happy but its the best i could get .see the pics .

so if your having a longlife system make sure you get what you paid for i didnt check the job before i took the car, too trusting me.

2013-05-21 18.16.37 - Copy.jpg

supra first cat.jpg

Anyone heading off for a bespoke system needs to find out precisely what the fitters are intending to do and preferably see it up on a ramp after its done. MIJ exhausts cut off my rear heat shield (leaving the corners still bolted on) so they could weld a new hanger above where that covered and then cut the original hanger to remove the arms (leaving the triangular base still bolted on) as they would have got in the way of their system back box. They also cut off the 2nd cat flange that seats the OE compressible gasket so they could fit a standard flush gasket.

Restored the car last year back to the original cats, hanger and shields setup and the parts cost exceeded that of the MIJ stainless exhaust.

Anyone heading off for a bespoke system needs to find out precisely what the fitters are intending to do and preferably see it up on a ramp after its done. MIJ exhausts cut off my rear heat shield (leaving the corners still bolted on) so they could weld a new hanger above where that covered and then cut the original hanger to remove the arms (leaving the triangular base still bolted on) as they would have got in the way of their system back box. They also cut off the 2nd cat flange that seats the OE compressible gasket so they could fit a standard flush gasket.

Restored the car last year back to the original cats, hanger and shields setup and the parts cost exceeded that of the MIJ stainless exhaust.

Not only me then

Profusion customs did a (well over a grand) exhaust on my old mans Monaro and they cut the pipe an inch or so behind the cat flange and welded from there back. The rest was ok quality wise but to not renew the flange butt up to the standard cat flange was very shoddy and they even spray painted it silver to try and make it look new (let's face it most people don't look under it)