The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling all aerotops!!

Dave_Batch

So i recently purchased a very clean n/a aerotop.

In my eyes the holy grail of supras is a big single manual aerotop. Although the prices and demand over the pond is completely the opposite!

Just wondering how the aerotops behave once boosted and if its wise/recommended by others who have already done it... Im thinking 5-600bhp mark... How does it feel and behave? Or keep with the hard top for power?

So i recently purchased a very clean n/a aerotop.

In my eyes the holy grail of supras is a big single manual aerotop. Although the prices and demand over the pond is completely the opposite!

Just wondering how the aerotops behave once boosted and if its wise/recommended by others who have already done it... Im thinking 5-600bhp mark... How does it feel and behave? Or keep with the hard top for power?

With the roof on I think it will be fine with the roof off would be a bit twisty but then again you won't take the roof off and do silly speeds anyway. Mines bpu aerotop seems to be fine similar compared to my previous hardtop not much difference.

Sounds like I've got the answer i was hoping for then!

As for them holding their value yea i can see your point, but as its a n/a aerotop i don't think much harm will come price wise by fitting a m3 6 speed and a well spec's na-t kit on it! Plus this is one im definitely thinking to keep!

Are you guys running with additional bracing?

What's with all the BMW gearbox conversions now?

Seems the way to go. Supra 6 speeds...parts are being doscontinued.

BMW boxes are fairly recent, reliable and must have a good parts supply chain for them to be popular and readily available boxes. In another 20 years something else will replace the BMW boxes

Seems the way to go. Supra 6 speeds...parts are being doscontinued.

BMW boxes are fairly recent, reliable and must have a good parts supply chain for them to be popular and readily available boxes. In another 20 years something else will replace the BMW boxes

What's the price comparison like compared to the Getrag route?

The BMW box is also made by get rag... But you can get a box for like £600, they can take similar power levels and are redily available. Getting one bolted up will set you back around 3k... But a v160 will be more money and its a 25 year old gearbox which you cant buy spares for (easily) and the price just doesn't seem worth it at all in my eyes... If it was a TT aero i might be pushed to a v-box for resale value of being original parts... But the BMW route is proven and common,