The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Loud??

terribleturner

Well i know that a ssqv will not make a difference performance wise, but is the sound worth it for that sort of wonga?? Is it alot louder than the standard bov on a BPU car or not?? Also wheres the best place to install one if i've got a fmic installed?? (And pictures would be nice too :D). just in 2 minds wether i should get it or not :tempted: . Think im looking for that little push either way.

Hey James, I've not heard the stock one at all on a j-spec, but I reckon the HKS SSQV is pretty poor sounding, its kind of weak and "Fiesta RS" like IMO!!!! The Blitz I had before sounded the business, you and How_Supra may remember it from the brief drive I gave you at the Henley meet last year!

It's not weak sounding at all if you have it under a vented bonnet...or position it on the lower pipes of an FMIC.

My SQV is currently only under a stock bonnet (sans fire proofing!!) and it seems pretty damned loud. Much much louder than stock...but then I have more air coming out of it than a BPU car ;)

The HKS SSQV I have is mounted in the stock location, its about the same sound volume as the previous Blitz BOV but makes a completely different sound. For me, its not about the noise level at all, but about a nice balance between exhaust, intake and BOV sound. The RSR makes a very deep burble and its nice to have a nice deep BOV sound to match it, the HKS BOV just doesn't seem to sound right at all, its just too high pitched.

PS: No question about the quality of the unit, its apparently one of the best available

I remeber yours Hommer and it did sound good, but i've read loads of issues with the Blitz bov of the pipes popping off etc... May go check out the Blitz prices. I could always save the money and put it towards some new cam gears or something.

Although there *seemed* to be no issues with the Blitz, I've also heard they're not the best at holding high boost. If you've got a working stock BOV then you're probably best off spending your cash on a "real" performance/safety mod than on the SSQV...

I remeber yours Hommer and it did sound good, but i've read loads of issues with the Blitz bov of the pipes popping off etc... May go check out the Blitz prices. I could always save the money and put it towards some new cam gears or something.

I have got a Brand new SS Blitz BOV for sale if your interested, includes vacuum hoses, t-piece and Jubilee clips.......£80 inc shipping......all you need is a flage to weld to and your sorted........just speak to dusty at mvp he can sort you out with a flange and im sure some of the guys on here can point you in the right direction to get hold of one there only about a score ;)

PM me if your interested matey :D

Mike