The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone ever bought a car from Ireland and claimed back the import tax (VRT)?

D1andonlyantman

Hi everyone. Looks like ive found a 6 speed [GRIN][/GRIN]. it's in Ireland, looks very clean, is very low miles, and is pretty much stock. I'm happy with the price but the owner also mentioned I should be able to claim back the VRT that was paid when it was imported in. Ive checked on their website and it all seems true, I'm just a little unsure about whether it should be registered here, there, when to get the inspection etc. If anyone has any experience, I'll happily take some advice

Thanks

Yeah I know it's not the full amount, but should be a good few grand. it doesn't say anywhere that it has to be a resident of Ireland. It says the car must be registered in the state, but also says they'd need proof of export. One thing it does say is the person who takes it for the inspection before exporting is the person who will be paid, so the inspection needs to he done when I'm there. They clearly deliberately make it hard lol

I'm located in Ireland and have re-claimed VRT numerous times when exporting to the UK and just received my last refund this week. Unfortunately they will only pay to the owner registered on the logbook prior to export at examination time so unless you have an Irish address to change ownership to only the seller can get the money. The good news is the refund is 100% of the VRT amount on that car at the time of examination (minus 100e admin fee) and since the Supra hasn't depreciated massively this means the figure will be close to the original paid (36% of the market value of the car, but they decide this value unfortunately). I'm sure the seller would do some kind of deal where the refund is split 50/50 and adjust the selling price accordingly, your still getting some money back that way :D ps. wheres this Supra for sale I might buy it first :p

Edited by Brian_C1 (see edit history)

That's going to be difficult... never seen UK roads, he's only selling this so he can get an r34. Also got a r33 gtr that's gotta go. I'll do everything I can to ensure my investment is safe, but there needs to be a small bit of trust in a deal like this

At least get a LOT of high quality photos. I've seen two supra from Ireland and both were rusty as hell underneath.

Hi everyone. Looks like ive found a 6 speed [GRIN][/GRIN]. it's in Ireland, looks very clean, is very low miles, and is pretty much stock. I'm happy with the price but the owner also mentioned I should be able to claim back the VRT that was paid when it was imported in. Ive checked on their website and it all seems true, I'm just a little unsure about whether it should be registered here, there, when to get the inspection etc. If anyone has any experience, I'll happily take some advice

Thanks

Who’s the owner?

Thanks for the info, that's a great help!

Haha you keep away Lol. There's a reason I haven't made a thread about the car. I'm keeping my cards close to my chest! It's not advertised anywhere, friend of a friend kinda thing. Well happy with it though. Well I'm sure I will be when I actually see it in the flesh anyway!

Your doing to well to find one in Ireland, very few around, very little of anything over 2 litres. Was resigned to importing my R35 GTR before a one locally came up for sale in Ireland jumped on it straight away, so if the Supra stacks up after photos etc. I'd jump on it if the price is right. The friend of a friend situation might mean the VRT refund will be possible also as I usually find both parties need to cooperate to actually get the refund

Edited by Brian_C1 (see edit history)

Well it's certainly not cheap as such, but I don't think I'll be overpaying either. A solid investment hopefully. He said he'll put the Irish v5 in my name with my UK address, and then I will be entitled to the VRT. Said he doesn't mind leaving himself as the last Irish owner and reclaiming between us, but it will have to be next year due to tax reasons. If i can get my hands on it then I'm laughing

Maybe you do. I won't go into any details though and would rather you didn't, although we've already agreed a price and everything. I'm going to collect next week. Good on him if he's made some money. All I care about is what I'm getting for my money, and think ive done ok :) time will tell I guess

Best of luck with the purchase, from the messages on here it sounds like your doing ok with it :) hopefully I'll be in the market for a TT6 in the next 6ish months, have never driven one myself but always had a soft spot for them :)

I'm the same I've had M3s, M5s, a 420bhp 335D but never got to enjoy them as much as I'd of liked but I've decided with my R35 GTR it's going to be driven every weekend and I try bring it off to shows/meets every second weekend at least. It's only a stage 2 620bhp and I plan to keep it around the 600-650 mark so nothing major as far they're concerned, I want to keep it reliable to enjoy it

Just a word on VRT, if its had a VRT appeal refund (i.e. someone appealed it and got money back but it might not have) that amount will be deducted from the refund amount. Example: VRT originally paid was 6k (36% of OMSP), appealed and 2k refunded. If the VRT refund you're getting is 2.5k (new 36% of OMSP), you get 2k taken off that, not a percentage. Also Supras were valued very low at one point here so the refund might not be much. Tbh the seller should take care of the refund, thats the way anyone i've known has done it... Hope it works out for you mate.