The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crank Angle Sensor

Dave Carroll

Hi Guys

As above really.

My car misfired went pop now wont fire. Ive tested the crank angle sensor after ruling out fuelling and its out of spec (around 1280ohm cold reading iirc).

Before investing 155quid in a brand new one, hoping someone might have a used one somewhere that might be good.

So what do you guys have?

Cheers

Dave

Is it showing a code for the sensor? I have one somewhere but not home for 3 weeks - worth removing the old one and checking the star plate in the hole (they can and do come loose) need a mirror /torch and small screwdriver and a bendy neck or feed a small boy in

Car has a syvecs, i did check and there is seemingly no pulse coming from the sensor. I know its common for the teeth on the crank sprocket to come loose so i felt through the hole after removing the sensor and it seems solid enough (bit difficult to tell of course!)

Ideally i could do with trying one sooner rather than later but if nothing else comes up I dont have a problem waiting a few weeks!

As for checking the crank sprocket should it be fairly obvious if the crimp has failed or do i need to investigate more closely?

There is only one connector a 2 pin near the alternator an pretty easy to see if any problem there - due to the very low voltage pulses generated the resistance is critical and the connection , trouble is the insulation resistance of the sensor is also critical and hard to check,so a new sensor is hard to avoid -thats how i got my spare -lol

I think my new one was around 70 quid -ICP if i remember correctly

no pulse at all is unusual and points to a connection or wire issue - way better than a random pulse .....

If the resistance of the shielding is a critical part of this sensor then that may explain my issue... the shielding on my sensor is completely ripped open in one area,looks like it has caught the rad fan at some point in the past.

Coupled with it getting soaked in coolant at one point recently may well explain the issue.

If you found a sensor for £70 I will take a look there as first port of call!

Given the original problem it's probably worth putting heat shrink sleeving on the new sensor wires , it's always handy to have spare sleeving kicking around the garage too .

You can also use a blob of silicon to hold looms in place - a poor mans cable clamp ,but it does work as long as its oil free and allowed to harden

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.