The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller for BPU

Fulcrum2000

Hi All

I know there is some debate over whether you need a Boost Controller to get the very best out of BPU I am in the 'you do' camp and am therefore going to buy one tomorrow as I am collecting all the parts to have it done in a one shot deal. With that in mind I am going for the Greddy Profec - the newest model with only a tiny OLED gauge in the interior and much of the gubbins under the bonnet - so then I fit the 1 bar restrictor ring to my JDM 93 and manually up boost with this to 1.2 and I am at the safe limit with an AFR guage just in case. All that said, before I go and buy this fairly pricey bit of kit, has anyone fitted one, is it the best option for a BC for BPU? It has rave reviews and seems to be the easiest to fit by a mile, but I wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts. It is also the one WB include n their upgrade kit so i figure thats a good sign too.

Never used it myself, but from what I've read it's basic, and I've learnt over the years that just because everyone raves on about a product/trader/mod, it doesn't mean its the best option, as most don't know what they are on about and just follow like sheep.

The HKS EVC boost controllers and the Blitz icolour ones have a lot more functions etc... But I've a couple of the HKS EVC ones now, 5 & 6, and do I use all the mapping functions and fine tuning options to get the most out of it? No lol No I don't, as I've been too lazy to mess around with it and just turn up the boost and go :D

If the Greddy ones does the job and is user friendly to use, which I've been told it is by a friend, then that could be a very good option, and one I'd consider researching if I was fresh to BC and looking for one, but the longer in the tooth I get, I find my opinion swaying to the option on a J-spec of just fitting the restrictor ring to control the boost and just enjoy it and not worry, it's simple and works, and I know a member who's a very close friend and has done this for years and the car shifts at a very quick pace no problem :) Is it really worth fitting a BC to to ring out that tiniest bit of extra boost, and push the turbos to their limit? I no longer think so.

By the way mines a UK spec so only option to raise the boost is either a bleed valve or BC, or I would have probably just gone with a correct sized restrictor ring if I had a j-spec.

Fulcrum, just ask around, speak to tuners, to experienced members, and then make your own judgement on what you think is the best option for you mate :)

I think its worth it in many ways as what a lot of people dont consider is it is kind of a flip flop option, so if you just dont have it on it stays at a nice normal 1 bar with the restrictor safe for all temperatures as I hear some people get real close to topping 1.2 on really cold days and then when you want 1.2 on a real warm day you can crank it up. This is my understanding anyway and the way I would use it would probably make the car much safer I hope? I bought a 93 Supra because I wanted one of the very oldest and I knew I could give it everything it needed to keep going and thats always been my train of thought, I've already spent as much as it cost to buy doing it all up to be honest!

Pay close attention to this above. Rob's controller allows him to increase the boost on the 1st turbo too which is a massive plus.

In my opinion a straight restrictor ring bpu is not 'all that' as the power in the first turbo zone is pretty much as a stock car, having more boost lower in the rev range gives a nice hike in responsiveness at normal driving revs/speeds/throttle openings. It also smooth's the transition from 1st to 2nd turbo which on a plain bpu can be harsh, the power coming on in a big hit however some people like that type of transition on a bpu - horses for courses, but if you have a bpu car running stock 1st turbo boost then I think you are missing out!

Per the thread you also don't need a boost control to get a 1st turbo boost hike, just don't take the pee with the boost you subject it to!

I think its worth it in many ways as what a lot of people dont consider is it is kind of a flip flop option, so if you just dont have it on it stays at a nice normal 1 bar with the restrictor safe for all temperatures as I hear some people get real close to topping 1.2 on really cold days and then when you want 1.2 on a real warm day you can crank it up. This is my understanding anyway and the way I would use it would probably make the car much safer I hope? I bought a 93 Supra because I wanted one of the very oldest and I knew I could give it everything it needed to keep going and thats always been my train of thought, I've already spent as much as it cost to buy doing it all up to be honest!

I can see what you're trying to do, but is it really worth it trying to eek at that last 0.2 of boost on a warm day? And don't forget the boost changes in different gears, and as speed increases, and different load conditions, and I don't understand how you think it's safer with a BC sorry mate.

But yeah, you seem adamant you wan't one, and yes the benefit is that it will hold it at 1.2 bar whatever the conditions, so go for it :)

Rob's is a good link and read, and I can recommend the HKS EVC, but I still haven't gotten around to trying the different plumbing method that Rob has done, as I'm still loving TTC mode :D

Pay close attention to this above. Rob's controller allows him to increase the boost on the 1st turbo too which is a massive plus.

In my opinion a straight restrictor ring bpu is not 'all that' as the power in the first turbo zone is pretty much as a stock car, having more boost lower in the rev range gives a nice hike in responsiveness at normal driving revs/speeds/throttle openings. It also smooth's the transition from 1st to 2nd turbo which on a plain bpu can be harsh, the power coming on in a big hit however some people like that type of transition on a bpu - horses for courses, but if you have a bpu car running stock 1st turbo boost then I think you are missing out!

Per the thread you also don't need a boost control to get a 1st turbo boost hike, just don't take the pee with the boost you subject it to!

I hate that hard hit from turbo 1 to turbo 2! I could also feel the dip on transfer, which I also really disliked. I'm much happier in TTC, but I need to plumb it in like Robs, as that's how mine use to run on my old HKS EVC 4, and was a strong linear pull, which really pulled hard when boosting on the first turbo.

I don't think the Greddy profec gives you the ability to do any of this though.

Ok you've convinced me it is in my best interests I have ordered the latest version brand new of the HKS EVC - are this mounted through the dash or do they have a little holder thing? I would prefer to have it dash mounted - also do they have the function to show in bar or just psi etc? I prefer bar. Spending money like water at the moment on Supe!

Ok you've convinced me it is in my best interests I have ordered the latest version brand new of the HKS EVC - are this mounted through the dash or do they have a little holder thing? I would prefer to have it dash mounted - also do they have the function to show in bar or just psi etc? I prefer bar. Spending money like water at the moment on Supe!

Mine is kpa. Not sure if it can be changed.

Kpa is the same as bar, just with the decimal point in a different position, I use kpa.