The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Respray time!

Mr2kyle

So for japfest I have set the start of may as my deadline for the car to be done and I'm putting the car into a local bodyshop to get a full respray. How much have people paid in the past year for a full respray out of interest? I'm keeping it the same standard red it is now but the bodyshop quoted me 5k that I thought was a bit steep giving I'm just getting the outside done. Car is a rust free example too so what do you think? Reasonable or taking the piss?

If it's just a minor strip down, prep, and blow over, I'd expect to pay half that.

If it's a full strip down, glass out, back to almost metal with repairs, it's about right.

If it was a full colour change, with engine out and all the bells and whistles, I'd expect to add half again.

I'm going to show the guy doing the job the car and see what he says the 5k would get me as at the moment part of me is thinking he just threw a figure in the air so I shall come back to you with what that includes. Sorry if it was a bit of a stupid question:taped:

My advise is this

Start doing your research on the bodyshops you have in mind

If you do a search there a few threads on bodyshops who to go to etc. You might find a few members on here that have had work by them before so have a chat and find out there experience with them

Have a look at there work and I would personally avoid bodyshops who do a lot of quick insurance jobs

Once you have a idea who you going to, take your car to them and explain exactly what you want done

Make sure you have a good think of everything you want done and maybe things which may need doing in the future eg Are you at some stage getting wide wheels ? you may want to have your aches cut back ..

Once happy, agree a price and a completion date and have in written or email

Don't go to a mate who works in the body shop lol

Oh and I think that price is about right for a good quality job

Definitely do your research and get recoomendations!!!

First bodyshop my car went to talked the talked but did nothing but give excuses before bottling the whole job. I then spoke to lots of people I know who all recommended the same place/person and have to say he is great.

My car is being done in 3 stages to fit in with other work.

Stage 1) Engine bay, boot, back end, sills, door shuts, inner door, inner bonnet, bonnet shuts, inner boot lid, boot shut all new colour. Plus rear aches flared, bumpers and skirts repaired and primered.

IMG_20170214_160149.jpg

IMG-20170204-WA0007.jpg

IMG_20170615_182005.jpg

Stage 2) Full windows out respray of the rest of the car, all dash plastics painted including M3 DCT gearknob, carbon scuttle fitted. Car had 3 coats of primer, each different colour then sanded back so perfect, plus different colour primers show up if they went through a layer, then one final primer coat, 2 coats of base colour and 5 lacquer coats.

IMG_20170809_155515.jpg

IMG_20170809_155827.jpg

IMG_20170306_182028.jpg

Stage 3) Full sand/flattening to remove any orange peel and then 4 stages of polishing. Plus refit skirts, bumpers and spoiler. Plus a few other bits and pieces to finish it off.

To be done next month.

Total cost came in at £4800 and well worth it as the guys are spot on and work on lots of nice cars and do a lot of custom stuff..

Nothing yet but all going well I should be having a few different guys to have a look at the car next Sunday. what options do I really have for getting work done to the car? Bodywork is something I have never really dealt with. Thanks for all the replies! Been very helpful. Mplavery said know exactly what you want done and I guess I'm just looking for the whole car to be the same standard colour of red. Good quality job. Don't think I need the inside done just the outside. As I say it's something I have never felt with if I look a bit thick on the subject. Once again thanks for the replies!