The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Key Fob Coding

Kendo11

Asked in a few places and done a few different searches on here with pretty limited results so I need some help please.

I've got the stock remote locking module under the drivers seat, but no fobs. I want to get some replacement fobs and link them in with the stock receiver.

How do I do this? Do I need a certain type of remote/fob?

I've had an alarm before that I've long since removed as I got sick of it draining the battery - I know that is an option but for the moment I just want to know if linking a replacement fob/remote is possible?

• 1 month later...
Just picking this back up. Where the links above are refer to using the a paperclip/pin to press the ecu reset button do they mean on the actual main ecu in passenger footwell or the central locking ecu?https://jza80.mkivsupra.net/imports/2018/03/216.jpg

/QUOTE]

This is what I was referring to in my previous post. There is no “reset” button on the central locking ECU, if the black box with the blue connector is actually the box we should be looking at.

I took the cover off to see if I was missing anything but nothing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=225979&stc=1&d=1520756346

90994647-37F7-4BFE-8225-CAEA40F811DF.jpeg

That box is the pickup for the remote central locking. There was a guy on the Australian forum who actually had the remote locking system as a kit from Toyota which had never been fitted. It had instructions. I tried to get onto the Australian forum to see if I could get a copy of the instructions but they were funny about letting non Australians onto their forum.

I subsequently gave up.

Hopefully I've attached a picture from the website.

IMG_0386_zps1zzflmtd.jpg

This is the relevant page from the Australian forum.

http://www.supraforums.com.au/forum/topic/75790-oem-optional-extras-picture-thread/

Unfortunately it has been ravaged by Photobucket's greed.

The guy with the kit is called oemdude. If someone has access to the site they could try contacting him for a copy of the manual. We could get it translated and finally resolve the mystery of the black box and how to code a key.

This looks like a sensible set of instructions for key fob programming on a Supra. If you try it out and it works do let us know.
Same problem as before with the ecu reset button that doesn't seem to exist.

Will explore the other options above (Australian stuff) tomorrow.

I've read threads that mention a small black button on the keyless entry ecu that is either located (on Toyotas) under the seat, behind the steering column or under the armrest. If you've had the cover off and not sign of a programme button anywhere then I guess thats bum info.

From another thread that said, their US spec entry ecu was behind the steering column and "There is a button flush mounted on the side of the box. It's hard to see unless you remove the box to look around it."

I only have one remote so I'd be interested in a solution to buy and programme a spare if someone can figure it out. Good luck!

This thread sheds some more light. looks like USA and japec systems are different. US one were standard factory opener/alarm fit and are programmable with a behind the column box, seems jspec remote opening were an optional extra, fitted under the passenger seat and do not have a program button. Edited by rider (see edit history)

Final shot - programming for a 90's JDM Corolla that used the same remote system as jspec Supras:

Hello Sprice,

Right here goes, it's a bit of long one i'm afraid

Firstly, ensure your vehicle is a japanese buit example ie, chassis number will start with JT-----

1. get in drivers seat leaving door opened and key NOT in ignition

2. insert key into ignition and remove

3. press the door lock - unlock button (on door panel switch gear) 5 times (40 secs max)

4. close drivers door then open it

5. press lock - unlock button 5 times again

6. insert key into ignition

7. turn ign key from 'lock' to 'on' ONCE (no more as you can wipe all codes)

8. remove key from ign

9. the central locking should now start locking and unlocking on it's own

10. within 20 secs press and hold the remote 'lock' switch for more than 1 second

11. once more if the receiver has received the signal the door locks should start operating on own

12. close drivers door and open it

13 press and hold the 'lock' button on remote for more than 1 second.

14 the door locks should once more cycle lock to unlock on own, once this time

15. if another transmitter need tuning carry out steps 10- 15 with next transmitter

This should work for you, make sure the interior dome light works, is set to door and not set to off. Another thing, when you do the door lock-unlock cycle (steps 3 and 5 above) its 'lock-unlock, lock-unlock, lock-unlock, lock-unlock, lock-unlock.

My car is a 1997 bug eye model, I'm presuming the 98 models use a fob like mine (a seperate Denso unit not built into the key).