The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diesel cars

fullthrottle

Totally not supra related but I am curious on peoples opinions I currently own 3 diesel cars one is a brand new Mercedes glc amg, range rover sport tdv8 and a bmw 530d m sport.

Now with all these new laws coming in I am starting get worried on the value of said vehicles and I am thinking should I sell now or keep them and hope I don't lose out and get stuck with them.

So I am sure there must be people here thinking the same?? So what are your views would you still buy a diesel now or in the future or is this all a load of bullsh×t and nothing to worry about.

I have been told Mercedes are having to heavily discount new diesels as they are difficult to sell.

Japan do not have diesels at all that’s why all these elgrands etc are Petrol (I am unsure about hgvs) but diesels will be a thing of the past in the UK sooner rather than later.

On the older used cars front I cannot see it making a huge difference in value as they were the economical choice and still are.

One of mine is a merc c class mapped C250. Its return on mpg is superb and its no slouch. I think it will depend where you live. I would buy another modern diesel because of their mpg and low down torque drive ability but I dont live near the smoke for the congestion charge or other cities threatening to surcharge.

They still make sense at the moment but I can see the future being hybrid/electrical. I suppose a nice Testla is the way ahead but way out of my price bracket

So whats going to happen? I would have thought that although they may be banning diesel cars from bigger cities, in order to get people to give up diesel cars in the country some kind of government incentive like they have in the past?

Can they just say that it your car was fine yesterday but today it's illegal to drive? and what about the hundreds of thousands of HGVs, and all the farm and plant vehicles?

Funny how a fue years ago the government was trying to get everyone in a diesel and giving ££££ off new cars and now diesel seam to be part of the devils work and there evil!! Well it’s just tough s@“t because I’m not gonna work my arse to the bone and get in debt buying a poxy car I don’t like that’s well over priced and give it 5 years and then there be the new evil cars!!

I don't think diesel will disappear as it is too heavily tied in with commercial vehicles, but large engined diesel cars will certainly disappear.

The future is increasingly looking like downsized petrol/ diesel hybrids, along the lines of the bmw i8 and volvo hybrids, until battery tech and national grids are in a posotion to support full electric.

I can also forsee a diesel tax being introduced on something like a postcode basis, where owners in built up areas will be penalised.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

Funny how a fue years ago the government was trying to get everyone in a diesel and giving ££££ off new cars and now diesel seam to be part of the devils work and there evil!! Well it’s just tough s@“t because I’m not gonna work my arse to the bone and get in debt buying a poxy car I don’t like that’s well over priced and give it 5 years and then there be the new evil cars!!

Simple economics really....

Get everyone to buy a diesel, then tax the fuck out of the fuel, leaving owners with no choice but to cough up.

I know a few people who have changed cars due to the Diesel scare.One friend had a 17 plate Passat diesel and has now changed to a Golf GTI taking an early hit on the Passat.I am wary on buying a diesel unless it was one I was going to run into the ground and not worry about future value,no way would I buy a new one now, as you just cant predict which way government legislation will go !

This the new one with the tests on people and monkeys, or the old one with the dodgy software? ;)

Includes both :D

Goes into details of the fake testing company set up by VW to provide test results showing their cars are better than older ones, which does include connecting an exhaust pipe up to chamber with monkey in, first on a VW and then a really old motor.