The mkiv Supra Owners Club

E85 Suppliers

ShawnPreece

Absolute ethanol or denatured ethanol?

Huh??

I use exactly what Lee tells me to use in the car Al, I told Shawn what that was and just told him to speak to his tuner about it.

E85 is different (better) in summer than in winter, there's less ethanol in it, which has apparently caught a few people out

No problem, I just didn't want to make public comments about this and that when ultimately it's Shawn's builder/tuner who can decide, I'm unsure what mine is but I will take a closer look next time.

This is just a copy paste from Google mate. But it explains why.

For example, E85 sold during colder months often contains lower levels of ethanol to produce the vapor pressure necessary for starting in cold temperatures. For this reason, fueling site operators offering ethanol blends typically cannot carry over summer-blend E85 into the winter months.

No problem, I just didn't want to make public comments about this and that when ultimately it's Shawn's builder/tuner who can decide, I'm unsure what mine is but I will take a closer look next time.

This is just a copy paste from Google mate. But it explains why.

For example, E85 sold during colder months often contains lower levels of ethanol to produce the vapor pressure necessary for starting in cold temperatures. For this reason, fueling site operators offering ethanol blends typically cannot carry over summer-blend E85 into the winter months.

Just read up on it, I thought it was the ethanol that was different, but it’s the amount of fuel in the pre made mix of E85.

Bloody pointless name as it’s not 85% lol

By the looks of it, you’ll be using either methanol or denatured ethanol.

Not sure on the denaturant or the percent of ethanol in the mix.

Let me know what you use, and I’ll see what it’s made of.

Yeah it's just a generic name apparently.

Summer Blend: Class 1 (min 79% ethanol)

Spring/Fall Blend: Class 2 (min 74% ethanol)

Winter Blend: Class 3 (min 70% ethanol)

So you can see how people can get caught out.

I don't use it very often, and my car pretty much topped the turbo out at 50% mix anyway.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Yeah it's just a generic name apparently.

Summer Blend: Class 1 (min 79% ethanol)

Spring/Fall Blend: Class 2 (min 74% ethanol)

Winter Blend: Class 3 (min 70% ethanol)

So you can see how people can get caught out.

I don't use it very often, and my car pretty much topped the turbo out at 50% mix anyway.

Very easy to get caught out.

No wonder more people just buy ethanol and add it to the tank.