The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Syvecs for dummies...

ShawnPreece

I've had a search around but alot comes up from the search words im using and finding it tricky to pinpoint the info im after.

Basically i've never had anything to do with a syvecs until now and never done anything with ECU sensors or anything either but wondering what I need to do...

Greg at pro tuner is installing it for me as this is an area I didn't want to risk getting wrong but just wondering what I need for my different options.

The list of what I have is:

Syvecs S6 ECU

Harness

NTK

Map Sensor

Boost Solenoid Kit

FlexFuel Sensor

Toucan Display

Just wondering

A) if there is anything else that I need or could be beneficial

B) Do I need a cal switch or does the Toucan control all the functions that a Cal switch would and able to change maps via the toucan?

C) I'm wanting anti-lag, launch control and traction control set up too would this be through the toucan or would I need additional switches or even would this be via a Cal switch? or what my options are?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being a complete newbie to this area. Also thinking this may be a beneficial thread for people to find when searching in future :)

Some of the connector pins are not used - but you may want to use them later, so populate the whole connector , for this you need the pins , wire these pins and stow them .

Now if you ever need to use Any of these it’s easy and you don’t have to start inserting pins in situ - it’s a Volvo connector pins I think

A)

The more sensors you connect to the ECU (fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp etc etc). The more visibility you will have over the running health of your car via the toucan.

Additionally, and probably more importantly, the more inputs your ECU sees from sensors the more safety protocols can be setup. Example, maybe if oil pressure drops to low, then you want the engine to turn off to prevent damage.

The sky is the limit with this really, but in my opinion if you are going to the effort of spending big £££ on the car. It would be stupid not to cover the basic sensors like: Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Fuel Pressure, Knock Sensors, MAP, IAT, ECT, Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Wheel speed sensors for ABS/TC.

B)

You don't need a Cal Switch if you are using a Toucan for map switching I believe.

C)

Not sure

I got all my sensors from Greg (Slo-Tuner) so the ones he said I needed were:

Inlet Air Temp

Oil Pressure

Fuel Pressure

MAP

Boost Solenoid

Knock

Wideband.

Then I also got a Fuel Flex Sensor.

Best plan is to ask Greg and let him supply them as that way he'll know exactly what they are and what settings are needed. I'd also get them ordered in advance, otherwise it might cause delays and your car could be sat there for months keeping mine company.

Some of the connector pins are not used - but you may want to use them later, so populate the whole connector , for this you need the pins , wire these pins and stow them .

Now if you ever need to use Any of these it’s easy and you don’t have to start inserting pins in situ - it’s a Volvo connector pins I think

Ahh i see thankyou, the installation will be from Greg at pro-tuner so I will mention this cheers

A)

The more sensors you connect to the ECU (fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temp etc etc). The more visibility you will have over the running health of your car via the toucan.

Additionally, and probably more importantly, the more inputs your ECU sees from sensors the more safety protocols can be setup. Example, maybe if oil pressure drops to low, then you want the engine to turn off to prevent damage.

The sky is the limit with this really, but in my opinion if you are going to the effort of spending big £££ on the car. It would be stupid not to cover the basic sensors like: Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, Fuel Pressure, Knock Sensors, MAP, IAT, ECT, Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband, Exhaust Gas Temperature, Wheel speed sensors for ABS/TC.

B)

You don't need a Cal Switch if you are using a Toucan for map switching I believe.

C)

Not sure

Ahh I didn't realise that the toucan had the ability to read such a wide range of safety features thats great yeah definitely any safety device that I am able to monitor via the toucan I would like to get to make extra sure and I am loving the idea of it shutting off the engine with things like the oil pressure dropping I think that is a definite.

Thanks for your response thats a great insight into what can be monitored via the syvecs as its a totally new area for me :)

You need a knock sensor ideally. In addition to what you have I also run fuel pressure and oil temperature. You will need a fuel pressure sensor if you’re running more than one pump sequentially.

Yeah I am running triple pumps so definitely need fuel pressure sensor, I did have a gauge reading this on my old twin pump setup but as it will come through the toucan that will probably be alot better. I did have a knock sensor going to my HKS knock/amp meter but unsure if the sensors are interchangeable or if they have to be syvecs specific?

I got all my sensors from Greg (Slo-Tuner) so the ones he said I needed were:

Inlet Air Temp

Oil Pressure

Fuel Pressure

MAP

Boost Solenoid

Knock

Wideband.

Then I also got a Fuel Flex Sensor.

Best plan is to ask Greg and let him supply them as that way he'll know exactly what they are and what settings are needed. I'd also get them ordered in advance, otherwise it might cause delays and your car could be sat there for months keeping mine company.

Ahh corse I didn't think about that I was thinking I wanted to round up all I needed now but thats great if Greg keeps alot of the sensors in stock, that will save me abit of time getting them. il chat to him and mention what iv got and see what he has to check that all is covered :) cheers Mark

The more sensors you have the more visibility the Syvecs has of your engine, this is good, obviously check you have enough IO to support the sensors you want to add :D

The toucan can do the CAL switching.

Thats great cheers mate was wondering if I needed a Cal switch or not but if the toucan can do all that then thats alot better :) Yeah totally agree id like to get as many safety sensors for monitoring via the syvecs as I can :)

Ahh corse I didn't think about that I was thinking I wanted to round up all I needed now but thats great if Greg keeps alot of the sensors in stock, that will save me abit of time getting them. il chat to him and mention what iv got and see what he has to check that all is covered :) cheers Mark

Nothing will be in stock, everything will need to be ordered. A couple of mine took a LONG time to come in too.