The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ok to use normal unleaded?

wkdtime

i filled up for the first time the other day and put 63 litres of optimax in... would my car run diferantly if i put normal unleaded in

It would explode in a ball of flames.....okay, maybe not. But (unwanted) explosions would take place in your cylinder head at high boost, WOOT :woot: situations.

Pre ignition of the air/fuel mixture before its expected isn't a good thing.

ive found the best to be Sainsburys Super Unleaded. No difference in performance compare to Optimax but get an extra 50 miles out of a full tank.

Just playing devils advocate but you have to wonder why that is?

Also, anyone use octane boosters to get it up to nearer 100RON? Notice any performance difference?

It would explode in a ball of flames.....okay, maybe not. But (unwanted) explosions would take place in your cylinder head at high boost, WOOT :woot: situations.

Pre ignition of the air/fuel mixture before its expected isn't a good thing.

ok?..im getting a bit confused here...ive used standard unleaded (is this the wrong thing to do?)...... ive got a uk spec, whats the best to use :thanks:

I have used octane booster as first aid.

When travelling in other countries it can be necessary if the fuel has no guaranteed RON.

And believe me, when you are on vapours and filling up from a weird farmer's hillside pump (as we did on the Euro Cannonball-Run) its nice to know that at least you are adding some octane - even if HE is just filling your tanks with gash fuel where the "hi ends" have evaporated off. (There goes my filters rofl !)

You wont need Octane booster in this country unless you are racing and even then I would rather use 'rated' race fuel.

Gasoline is a complex mixture of hydrocarbons - paraffins, olefins, naphthenes, and aromatics. The combination of hydrocarbons and oxygenates determines its physical properties and engine performance characteristics.

As different gasolines contain mainly hydrocarbons, the only significant difference between grades is the octane rating of the fuel. Octane ratings measure fuel properties: the ability of the unburnt end gases to spontaneously ignite under the specified test conditions.

The spark ignition internal combustion engine's compression ratio had been inhibited by the unwanted "knock" that could rapidly destroy engines. "Knocking" describes the sound heard from an engine using fuel of too low octane.

The higher the octane you can possibly afford to put in your car the better I'd say.

Search Google for Research Octane Number and ALL the replies will say the higher the RON the less likely you are to get det.

Can I run an NA on normal unleaded - Yes

Can I run a JDM TT on normal unleaded - No. The higher the octane the better really, a good SUL is fine.

Can I run a UK TT on normal unleaded - Probably, they are mapped to run lower octane fuel. Although for the difference in price I would use SUL.