The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Painting NA valve covers - Magnesium

evinX

Well, to my horror it seems the TTs got aluminium covers and the NAs got magnesium with a mix of alu in it :rlol: NA ownership is tough :D

Now if mine were aluminium a good old polish, or high heat primer/base/clear would do.

But as magnesium is 'pourous' it likes to breathe gas which is why the NA valve covers always have dark spots, soaked oil. So a polish wont last and painting may be literally pushed off by escaping gasses :(

I really wanted to polish my spares that i just got but dosent seem worth it as it will eventually return to a grey cast finish. Has anyone ever powder coated NA cam covers? and can they really warp?

cheers Kev (from tonight a lifetime member :D)

My old Na had polished covers for a while and they staid looking great with a bit of meguire metal polish. However with the fidly bits around the y pipe being nie on impossible to get I went for the painted option in 199 done profesionally at a body shop and to this day around 6 years later still look great from what I know :)

Painted

attachment.php?attachmentid=205226&stc=1&d=1443030585

attachment.php?attachmentid=203675&stc=1&d=1438199374

When they were polished

attachment.php?attachmentid=126660&stc=1&d=1297270840

Edited by ripped_fear (see edit history)