The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New GR in jap mags

Supra-love

Came across this just now. Straight 6 Bmw engine.

In translation to the mag-

B58T is the engine code according to the magazine + 8 speed "AT" then its also talk about apart from 8 speed there is possibility of BMW M series 7 speed DCT "Dual Clutch" like what they use in the M5 Getrag Variance

8127EB0D-F8D2-45FA-AA49-06D2B046422A.jpeg

38852177-8B4E-4CFD-8732-5CEF85256EA1.jpg

487276E1-9338-408E-B8AC-C60DD4239258.jpg

712C0E9A-0267-4871-A110-E40753548A74.jpeg

400ps manufactured power which I think is very low, considering it’s rivals

What do you consider to be it's rivals? And don't say the GTR...

I think I'd put it somewhere near this lot:

370z - 328ps

911 Carrera 4/4S - 370/420

F-type s - 340/380

400ps seems about right

What do you consider to be it's rivals? And don't say the GTR...

I think I'd put it somewhere near this lot:

370z - 328ps

911 Carrera 4/4S - 370/420

F-type s - 340/380

400ps seems about right

Was thinking more about the nsx mate

Also With no Toyota engine it’ll be no new Supra for us current owners, same goes to GT86/BRZ.

B58 BMW 3L engine isn't gonna do it for current 2JZ/SUPRA owner

Was thinking more about the nsx mate

Also With no Toyota engine it’ll be no new Supra for us current owners, same goes to GT86/BRZ.

B58 BMW 3L engine isn't gonna do it for current 2JZ/SUPRA owner

Oh I agree the lack of "3JZ" is a bit of a copy out. Would be nice to see a bit more supra in there.

It'll never be an NSX rival though surely? I was expecting pricing much more in line with those I posted and not £120k+!! Remember it's a "Z5" not an i8.

I like that but think it needs a spoiler, 400hp stock is not bad wait for people to start tuning them bpu/bpu+ mod's be knocking on for 480-500, and isn't the Toyota version getting hybrid/kers system so there's no turbo lag and 50/50 weight.

Interesting bits in evo last week about it quoting the president of the new Toyota gazoo brand he has a mkiv 600hp:)

“The Supra has a strong following and the new car must appeal to these owners,” said Shigeki Tomoyama, President of Gazoo Racing. “The last Supra had a straight-six engine, was twin-turbocharged and rear-wheel drive and the new car must continue this philosophy.” Tomoyama, who owns a 600bhp carbonfibre bodied 1997 Supra, refused to confirm how much the new Supra might weigh when it was suggested it should come in at under 1500kg. Instead he pointed out that his Supra, when new, weighed 1200kg and did confirm that the new Supra would have a 50/50 weight distribution.

Talking about how the Supra would differ from its BMW Z4 sister car, Tomoyama said “BMW’s car is a roadster, ours is a coupe. We have worked with BMW’s engineers on the development of the basic car and on shared components, but when it comes to how both cars drive they will be very different. They have very different philosophies and the Supra will be a performance car first.” This is claim substantiated by the cars Tomoyama and his team have benchmarked the new Supra against: the BMW M3/M4 and the Porsche 911.

Tomoyama was coy in regards to potential powertrain options that will be offered in the new Supra, but confirmed hybrid power could feature – drawing on the technology employed in Toyota’s LMP1 programme – if it offers a distinct performance benefit. “BMW’s car is a roadster, ours is a coupe. We have worked with BMW’s engineers on the development of the basic car and on shared components, but when it comes to how both cars drive they will be very different. They have very different philosophies and the Supra will be a performance car first.”

The challenge is to maximise the performance – speed and power – from batteries and electric motors as these both add weight. For a sports car we will look at smaller batteries that are charged with the very best regeneration braking system; a system that we have been developing in the World Endurance Championship,” continued the Gazoo Racing President. Tomoyama also confirmed Toyota will compete in the World Endurance Championship in 2018, as the only remaining factory works team, and has no plans to enter Formula E.

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

The mk4 Supra was designed to be better than the z32, not the r32/r33. Supras have always competed with the Fairlady line, not the Skyline GTR. But the price will (should) reflect that. What few Skyline GTRs we got here were always significantly more expensive than the uk spec mk4.

But the price will (should) reflect that. What few Skyline GTRs we got here were always significantly more expensive than the uk spec mk4.

IMO they need to compete with Jaguars F-type line up, but with Toyota pricing. Say £45k base model and 60odd for the balls out hybrid. Much more and there will be a huge step between GT86 and Supra

What’s the point in a new supra if it has a BMW engine. May as well not bother

If it's good enough for Rolls Royce then it's good enough for Toyota! :D

I understand that from a purist point of view a Toyota engine should be in a Toyota car, but from a cost perspective and the likely sales volume that Toyota must be envisaging, it won't be worth developing a new engine.

If it's good enough for Rolls Royce then it's good enough for Toyota! :D

I understand that from a purist point of view a Toyota engine should be in a Toyota car, but from a cost perspective and the likely sales volume that Toyota must be envisaging, it won't be worth developing a new engine.

Fair point, I guess you’re right, it’s just a massive disappointment for me personally. I’d probably still get one if it was good though :lol: