The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing inner trim from tail gate...

muckyman

Theres a good few tabs on the panel. And ive broken a couple over the years to. Easily done as it flexes easy. What i do is start near the boot strut corners, put my hand in flat, feel for the tab and crunch my fist popping the tab out and not pulling it down in the wrong place, and do that for each tab. Works for me but my hands are fairly hefty :D

When putting it back on, make sure all the tabs have their metal clips and are popped in properly or your going to go nuts with rattling :thumbs:

Nope, not needed. Once the tabs go into the slots on the bootlid itself, they dont move.

If it were the case as you were saying, it wouldnt be grease you need, but anti rattle panel felt tape. The dash panels have that on for example. Grease for mechanical parts :thumbs:

My old supra had a rattle in the boot lid that was caused by me :D i dropped a bolt down the bootlid cavity when refitting the spoiler one time, a telescoping magnet tool got it out eventually

its actually more of an intermittent squeaking rather than a rattle thats annoying me. Sounds like a plastic squeak. I'll likely be covering a few tabs with some adhesive felt...

its actually more of an intermittent squeaking rather than a rattle thats annoying me. Sounds like a plastic squeak. I'll likely be covering a few tabs with some adhesive felt...

Its probobly the boot rubbers then dude, the plastic blocks on the bootlid and inner grove of the bootlid, try putting abit of lubricant on these if the squeak goes away its those, theyre about £40 a set iirc

Its probobly the boot rubbers then dude, the plastic blocks on the bootlid and inner grove of the bootlid, try putting abit of lubricant on these if the squeak goes away its those, theyre about £40 a set iirc

Agreed, blue tac on the rubbers can be used to assess them too.

If you do remove the trim, what I do is start where suggested and I have a head torch (or assistant) to shine into the gap to locate the nearest clip and then use a long screw driver to prise it off, once you have a bit of room then it's easier to get to each one, just keep using the screw driver or at least make sure you pull down the panel from as close to the clips as possible pulling from further away is what will cause cracking.

Worth noting if it is the rubbers and you replace them then the bottom rubbers just unbolt easily but the side rubbers have araldite from the factory so you need to tear the old rubbers off and blow torch the bolts to melt the araldite to get those out. Its usually the side rubbers that lead to the annoying tailgate rattle.

Some rubber sets are on sale on eBay at around the £60. You can get them cheaper elsewhere but not always a off the shelf item. Probably because I just bought a load of sets.

Edited by rider (see edit history)