The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Frankie's 1A1 Aero Top Build - HTA3582 V160

dfrancis85

Hey guys

I have been lurking on the forum for some time and after buying my 1st supra last year and finally starting to work on it, it's now time for a build thread..

As per the title, the car is an original 1a1 aerotop (NA jap import).

20991474_10159089884850231_1084763742_o.jpg

20993257_10159089885090231_544328911_o.jpg

20993300_10159089885200231_134161087_o.jpg

The previous owner had the paint "refreshed" last year, along with new rear quarter seals, areatop seals and facelift tail lights.

Other than the new facelift headlights and new wheels (CCW classic reps) I have to install, there really isn't much I will be altering in terms of the look of the car.

The car also underwent some work at SRD where the original auto transmission was swapped for a V160 (I Believe it was the intention of the previous owner to go NA-T). It was the combination of the bodywork and transmission that drew me to this car as I had a 2JZ GTE single set up from another project kicking around the garage so this was a perfect donor.

Since buying the car I have spent the last few weeks getting my garage ready for this build and another (LS3 AC Cobra kit) so that everything is set up and ready for me to do all the work myself.

New garage set up -

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After building many project cars on driveways and singles garages, when I finally got a house with a double I decided to fully kit it out.

I've now started working on the car and have pulled the NA engine and V160 so that I can make a start at preparing everything for the new engine to be dropped in.

4.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

I've already got the majority of the parts to get the car up and running with the GTE engine -

Stock Non VVTI GTE (originally aristo but with a mid sump / oil pick up to suit supra subframe)

Syvecs S6+ ECU

HTA3582 Turbocharger (It's Owen Developments own in-house racing version of a GT3582)

Cast Log Manifold

Greddy intake (welded to OEM runners)

1000c Fuel clinic injectors and rail

There is still a big to-do list over the next few weeks (on a big push to have it up and running before my 1st child arrives in a couple of months), list includes -

Install Ksport Big brake upgrade

Install BC Coilovers

Install Intercooler and piping

Install fuel pump, filter and FPR upgrades

Custom wiring harness

Swap A01B for A03B (already have A03B so will have the A01B up for sale soon.)

I'm also considering pulling all suspension/subframes for blasting and powder coating as they're showing they're age and I own a coatings company.

I've also started to ceramic coat my hot components as this is the main type of coating we do. My WG and turbine housing came out pretty fresh -

7.jpg

8.jpg

I'll be doing lots more work on the car over the next couple of week so will try to do regular updates if people are keen.

The overall aim is for the car to look OEM as possible but with a nice streetable single set up with whatever we can get on 98ron fuel.

Edited by dfrancis85 (see edit history)

Nice start, look forward to seeing this running!

What power are you aiming for?

Thanks, shooting for around 550-600 but it will depend on how much the stock head and cams (Jsec) restric those numbers.

Im sure the turbo will make bags of power and quickly as i ran a GTX3576 on my 600hp s2000 and it was super responsive with plenty in the tank until red line..

I've persobally always used Garrett or Owens developments turbos so was surprised to see that literally no one does in the supra scene.

Very nice!

James spent a fortune on her the diff is really clean too (it came out of my fresh import rsp tt6 shell)

Good luck with it[emoji106]

Cheers fella, yep, cant knock the bodywork and facelift touches that have made it look like a new car on the outside.

Thanks for the PM, I'll get round to re-sealing the A03b before installing. Good to know its a 15 tooth version tho, hopefully the speedo will be accurate after the swap.

Is anyone on here running DBW TB on a syvecs ECU?

If so can you give me some real life feedback?

Was it worth doing over a wireTB?

Im trying to priortise the last few bits to buy for the build and want to know if its really worth spending circa £600 on the DBW TB, loom and pedal set up.

Link anyone in that could help.

Thanks

Is anyone on here running DBW TB on a syvecs ECU?

If so can you give me some real life feedback?

Was it worth doing over a wireTB?

Im trying to priortise the last few bits to buy for the build and want to know if its really worth spending circa £600 on the DBW TB, loom and pedal set up.

Link anyone in that could help.

admittedly I have not run a DBW on Syvecs although it is possible and I am sure if you look through the build threads there are a number that are. The DBW from what I understand gives the ECU more control of the throttle during traction control and also is better for rolling anti-lag.

In my opinion it is not worth the additional £600, but I am sure someone will be along to tell me other wise

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

It's been a while since I've managed to touch the car.. who knew having your 1st child would have such an impact on free time!?! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Since the last post I removed ALL front subframe and supsension parts, sand blasted and coated.

I also rebuilt the hubs with new bearings and extended wheel nuts for my spacers as the new wheels won't fit over my new brakes!@

Also fitted new OEM, drop links dust sheilds, control arms as well as BC coilovers plus K sport 8pots..

Subframe is now all bolted up back in place with the steering rack. Just a few bits to tidy up before engine time!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Mate, you didnt fit the front drops links off ebay..car parts international did you? fronts and rears for like 29? i ordered a set and they sent me some cheap chinese things not even for supras. Only asking as yours are black and have the clear dust caps like those ones did. If they are, get them off the car bud. PS nice work :D

Mate, you didnt fit the front drops links off ebay..car parts international did you? fronts and rears for like 29? i ordered a set and they sent me some cheap chinese things not even for supras. Only asking as yours are black and have the clear dust caps like those ones did. If they are, get them off the car bud. PS nice work :D
mate, yes well spotted got drop links, dust sheilds and wheel bearings from CPI. Dust sheilds were genuine toyota parts, wheel bearings very good blue prints. The drop links seem OK to me as in they measure up fine and don't have any visual issues under inspection but now you've said that I'll take another look once the wife let's me back in the garage ;-)

mate, yes well spotted got drop links, dust sheilds and wheel bearings from CPI. Dust sheilds were genuine toyota parts, wheel bearings very good blue prints. The drop links seem OK to me as in they measure up fine and don't have any visual issues under inspection but now you've said that I'll take another look once the wife let's me back in the garage ;-)

/QUOTE]

Take one look at the dust cap retainer clips. Ive seen keyring rings made stronger. And the rears well they dont even look like supra drop links. 100% chinese made stuff.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting my thread back from the dead.. 2019 flew by with limited time free to work on the car.

However, I did manage to get the below done on the odd weekend (with help from some amazing mates!)

New Toyota dual-mass flywheel and Spec one clutch installed

V160 mated to the GTE lump and installed into the car

Custom IC set up fabbed and installed

Custom Downpipe fabbed and installed

Whifbitz 3" Exhaust

Custom rocker breather system

Relocated the PS pump res (used a different tank from an old build)

Cut up and changed the angle of the front-facing manifold

New Bosch DBW throttle body

DBW throttle pedal install

Toucan installed on the dash for Syvecs

Custom wiring loom made out of a GE loom for the Syvecs S6+ and Audi 1.8 coil packs

Walbro 450 fuel pump installed (new relay)

Wrapped the wheels in Yokohama Advan Neova Tyres

I now have the car running and have mapped it to gate pressure (7psi).. I'm in the process of giving it a good run down (found a minor leak on the turbo oil return line to the sump) to check for issues, once happy, I will be giving it the full beans hoping for 1.5bar. I'm already very happy with how she pulls and the engine/gearbox feels nice and strong.

expect more updates in the next few days, watch this space!