The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Long term Storage

Karl M N

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm looking into some things I'll need to be doing whilst storing the car. From what I've read I'll need to top up the fuel tank and change the oils. I understand why the fuel needs to be left in, but what would the downsides be to just draining the oils? It's not like I'll be attempting to start the car up again in a few years as I'll be getting the engine rebuild anyway. Everything I've read about storing cars seems to be geared towards people that would be storing the car for a couple months at a time (maybe just over winter)

Are there any other measures that you guys would recommend? Basically I'd like to be in for as few nasty surprises as possible when I go to get the car.

Just for reference:

The car will be stored in a container/garage

Will be there for around 2 years, depending on how much I spend on the mortgage and when I have the funds for a rebuild

As above, I'd like an engine rebuild (or "refresh") so I'm curious as to whether or not I'll need to be continuously changing out the oil

-Put fresh oil in there to help stop the old stuff turning sludgy and depositing said sludge where it sits. Draining the oil I would have thought is asking for excess corrosion to occur inside the block if left for a long time. Ideally turn it over every few weeks to get oil round the system. I have heard of people filling engines to the brim with cheap oil to pickle them for long term storage after a rebuild, never tried it myself and expect it would leak out somewhere if you did that, or potentially fill the cylinders and then you’d have an issue when you tried to start it again.

-Personally I’d drain the fuel as it goes stale over time and can leave nasty deposits in the tank/pump/lines etc.

If you’re storing it in a container make sure you have a dehumidifier running, those things are moisture traps and will accelerate the rate of rusting. You want a dry, warm garage/shed with air circulation ideally.

Even a car in storage should be attended to periodically to move it forward and back to prevent tyre flat spots, keep the brakes free and keep the bearings greased to reduce corrosion, I'd want to have new oils in the engine and transmission and spin the engine every month at most to maintain an oil film which will protect against corrosion and wear on future start up. Aside from that it'd be best to drain the fuel as it goes stale and only presents a fire hazard in long term storage situations. I'd put water less coolant into the car. Over inflated tyres to prevent flat spots forming is another easy preventative measure. I'd put the battery on a trickle charger otherwise it'll be throw away at the end of a long storage period and I'd disconnect the battery terminals.

Storage in an air conditioned or dehumidified box or building would be preferable as the humidity is then controlled (below 50%, corrosion doesn't happen). A supply of rat poison and mouse traps so rodents aren't able to set up home in the car or nibble the wires. Air re-circulation would be beneficial if you don't have access to air conditioning or a dehumidifier and counter productive if you do. Worth noting that dehumidifiers do generally need attending to regularly to disposed of water collected in a tank unless they are modified to simply drain.

Long term storage, one of the worst things you can ever do to a car. Stuck relays, seized on brakes that were left off, a car that wont start for a myriad of reasons, knackered tyres, knackered battery are all things that can befall a stored car and then there is all that extra rust that's had a good while to get on with doing what unattended what rust does. If your storage cycles hot and cold throughout the day in up to 90% humidity then there will condensation feeding any rust. I've seen it all with cars I've stored before I built a pretty much sealed dehumidified garage.

Sounds like more of a ball ache than it's worth lol. My main concern was certain components seizing or corroding. I may just leave it outside the house and take it round the corner a couple times a month...

Probably far better than being left unmoved/run in a container!

I think its more of where the car going to be kept. Will the environment where the car sat be prone to moisture etc etc If so you may want to do all of the above.. that will be my main concern

I have had mine sat for just over two years and had no issues what so ever. But it was in a good environment, very dry place, no moisture etc

All i did When I used it again was changed all the oils and a fresh tank of fuel

I should be visiting a garage next week, so I'll see what the conditions are like. For £14 a week I figured I might as well have a look and I'll just have to pop down every week to look after it and drive it around the yard. The garage is inly 6' wide though so I think I'll struggle getting in and out lol

I should be visiting a garage next week, so I'll see what the conditions are like. For £14 a week I figured I might as well have a look and I'll just have to pop down every week to look after it and drive it around the yard. The garage is inly 6' wide though so I think I'll struggle getting in and out lol

At 6' wide (72 inches) you will need to do a tailgate entry and exit.

Length 177.701 in | 4513.6 mm.

Width 71.301 in | 1811 mm.

If you are looking for long term storage you don't need to stick to garages. Lots of people have space they will take a car in for storage. I had a Brooklands Capri in my barn for 6 months that ended up being here for 17 years. Even covered it up. Had cats in the barn that ensured no mouse invasion. I even used to start it up regularly and move it back and forward regularly. So, when it finally went it could be driven onto the trailer.

Probably someone here knows someone who could store it for you and look after it to a degree as well for a bit of beer money, I was charging £40 a month paid by direct debit. Its a 0.4 acre barn so plenty of room to open up the doors as well.

I have two garages but unfortunately a friend has his cobra in the other one. My first garage what my mates using is great. Never had a problem with moisture however my home garage does slightly and only notice it early in the morning. Most likely due to its in the garden and next to grass. I have a humidifier in there as well which kicks in but will be insulating the garage better in the summer to stop this .. May even make it wider

If all goes to plan I'll have a mortgage sorted at the start of next year. I'll be hunting for anything with a driveway/garage. Worst case scenario I keep the car taxed and mot'd for another year. After measuring the car myself there is just no way I'm fitting it in a 6ft wide garage. I would suspect no modern car would fit honestly.