The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member and prospective Supra owner!

RoryM

Hello all,

I have just joined the site, with the intention of learning a bit about the UK Supra scene and hopefully finding a decent car for me to zip around in.

I currently own an RX7 FD3S which I love, but I would like something that involves less headaches and uses (marginally) less fuel to use on a daily basis, and it seems I have found myself looking at Supras, which feels akin to a pilgrimage to Mecca, albeit for petrolheads.

Cheers,

Rory

Welcome along Rory. There is an ever growing bunch of us up here in Scotland. Obv time of year means most are tucked up in garages across the country but you should come along and meet us when show season starts up again.

Good luck with your search for a Supra. They become an obsesssion lol

Hi and Welcome Rory.

Just as a heads up as I know you are looking at sourcing a Supra at some point, please note that you will be granted access to post in the classifieds sections once you have paid the membership fee, which is £10 for a years access. You will also be able to PM potential sellers once the membership has been purchased.

Less of the serious stuff :), please feel free to get in touch if you want to have a look at a Supra up close, I would be happy to take you for a spin once the car is back on the road :thumbs:.

Hi Rory, welcome along.

Could you share details & pics of your FD?

Whilst we are Supra biased, we do like most cars and a RX-7 is a special motor.

Whats your wishlist/budget for the Supra?

Hi mate!

My budget is flexible, but I'm looking towards the NA end of the price spectrum - I'd love a TT but they are out of what I can justify spending at the moment. I'm going to keep hold of the FD, otherwise I would definitely go for a TT.

It might be a bit bonkers, but I'm looking at using the Supra as a daily car, as my FD drinks fuel at a truly insane rate (under 10mpg in stop and go traffic sometimes) and also there's more of a risk at racking up miles with the 13b-REW as there's no getting around a relatively costly rebuild every 60,000 miles (maybe more if you're lucky!)

I will make sure to get some pictures up soon - it's a '93 Montego Blue with completely stock exterior (ignoring RE Amemiya split-rims) and with very minor modifications under the bonnet.

Hi and Welcome Rory.

Just as a heads up as I know you are looking at sourcing a Supra at some point, please note that you will be granted access to post in the classifieds sections once you have paid the membership fee, which is £10 for a years access. You will also be able to PM potential sellers once the membership has been purchased.

Less of the serious stuff :), please feel free to get in touch if you want to have a look at a Supra up close, I would be happy to take you for a spin once the car is back on the road :thumbs:.

Haha, unfortunately I was silly enough not to read the T&Cs and went ahead and posted in a thread asking about a car's availability, only to be told that I had broken the rules within about 20 minutes of joining - doh!

That's a very generous offer to take me out for a spin, and it would be great to see how well I actually fit in one (I'm 6'4/193cm so you can imagine fitting in my FD is not ideal)

£10 seems completely reasonable really. I'm a member over on the fd:uk site and the knowledge/guides there have saved me many hundreds of pounds in garage fees.

Edited by RoryM (see edit history)

You need to be quick to get a decent one these days, the link below lasted a few hours (await a few grand uplift and available at a trader near (or not so near) you soon!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-2002/253359180642?hash=item3afd624b62:g:fgAAAOSwHYVaU390

Supply is cripplingly low and it's impacting prices in a not good way for a buyer, also chances of leisurely inspecting anything like the above is minimal, so then you are upping the risk factor (although I spose the ebay bin'er doesn't have to follow through if they end up not liking what they see)

I wish you luck finding a nice one as I'm pretty certain from what I remember from our forum mechanical genius (with also with extensive RX7 experience) it will be far less fickle than an RX7.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

Im 6' 5 and fit in just fine :) Welcome

That's very promising news!

The more I've read about the Supra, the more it sounds like a car which shares a lot of the best characteristics of the FD, i.e. timeless lines, 90s Japanese charm, decent performance (obviously with modifications they can both be terrifyingly fast), but with less frequent and less extreme headaches.

You need to be quick to get a decent one these days, the link below lasted a few hours (await a few grand uplift and available at a trader near (or not so near) you soon!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-2002/253359180642?hash=item3afd624b62:g:fgAAAOSwHYVaU390

Supply is cripplingly low and it's impacting prices in a not good way for a buyer, also chances of leisurely inspecting anything like the above is minimal, so then you are upping the risk factor (although I spose the ebay bin'er doesn't have to follow through if they end up not liking what they see)

I wish you luck finding a nice one as I'm pretty certain from what I remember from our forum mechanical genius (with also with extensive RX7 experience) it will be far less fickle than an RX7.

After 2 years of joyous and infuriating FD ownership, hearing that there are other less fickle ownership propositions is truly music to my ears.

I think I need to sit and watch the forums for a while, because I'm finding it difficult to gauge what price TT and NA cars are going for. If that £12,500 example was available, now, I'd have been very tempted to buy it, but the issue of good deals being snapped up at a rate which prevents viewing is concerning!

Good old CW over 15 years ago!! I think this was his rose tinted version!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?198-My-RX-7-mods-to-inspire-you-all-)&highlight=rotary

The best laid plans of mice and men...

The moment I realised I needed to stop and reassess my position was when the seemingly sacrilegious RX7 V8 swap began to seem more and more appealing. I think it would be pretty stupid to get rid of the rotary in my FD, as it is in good condition and despite suffering from the drawbacks any 'experimental' engine design would, is still a remarkable feat of engineering.

I think he persevered for some time, then moved on to Skylines!

I think you'll find nothing but respect for the RX-7 on here, cute little thing but scary ownership proposition for many. I wish I could find some of his more recent posts where he goes mini rant about their money pit abilities....

What do you think the likelihood of another TT Supra in this price bracket emerging is? Seems too good to be true!

I think he persevered for some time, then moved on to Skylines!

I think you'll find nothing but respect for the RX-7 on here, cute little thing but scary ownership proposition for many. I wish I could find some of his more recent posts where he goes mini rant about their money pit abilities....

They are definitely potential money pits! I think if you look at the numbers of FDs in World Time Attack its clear they're very capable though, and pretty too :)

Edited by RoryM (see edit history)

What do you think the likelihood of another TT Supra in this price bracket emerging is? Seems too good to be true!

Auto's still come up in the £10K ish range.....to be honest it's changed so much in the last couple of years, this seems almost entry price but then the ceiling for auto's isn't 'that' much higher. This ebay one was a late car, with seemingly low mileage and fresh respray. The key thing was the owner had it for 14 years which can mean you get some good history with the car but also the car doesn't owe them so much if you see what I mean (following 'normal' car depreciation principles and that they will have long since paid off any finance on it).

I reckon good deals like this one 'looked' come up rarely now and as you can see there is competition from traders/other buyers. If this same car comes up for £16K in a few weeks is it still a good deal etc? You can often get a whiff of some members on here wavering, but they are generally wavering due to the increased prices so a deal is less likely, but it might mean you get to have a good look around any buy. Difficult buying conditions :(