The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non-starting metro, fuel problem?

stevie_b

Hi,

I've got a problem with my 2nd car (rover metro, carburettor model). I was driving it from my house 2 weeks ago, and had got 500m down the road when the engine revs just died smoothly (no coughing or anything like that), until it stalled. It was as if the accelerator did nothing at all any more. She hasn't started since. The engine cranks fine, but just doesn't catch.

I've done some diagnostics, and here's what I've come up with:

1) spark seems to be good. I took one of the plugs out, and could see the spark jump across to the block when I cranked it. I've also used LED in-line lead testers, and they light up as expected.

2) The air filter looks in good nick, but I've taken it off anyway (the carburettor is below it, which is one of my main points of focus).

3) I tested the fuel pump outlet with a vacuum/pressure gauge. That registers fine.

4) I checked the damping chamber on the carb. It was a bit low of oil, so I topped it up anyway. Car still doesn't start :(

5) The fuel gauge is over 1/4 full (i.e. not down to the dregs), and the mileage I've done would confirm this. Should be another 50-100 miles at least in the tank. I've shaken the car to try and hear petrol sloshing in the tank: couldn't hear it, but that may be due to my cloth-ears! I've also tested the outlet of the fuel pump by disconnecting it. Petrol spurted out when it was cranked, so I don't suspect a "no petrol" problem.

6) I've had a look at the spark plugs: even after 5 seconds of cranking, only one of them was wet (and it smelt like petrol). The others were bone dry.

Any advice that anyone has got would be gratefully received. In particular, what would suddenly cause only one cylinder to get supplied with petrol, whilst the car is running?

:thanks: in advance!

i would still say its a fuel problem. i had this with my mini . i put a air line down the fuel line and it blew a load of crap out the other end.... if you do it make sure u take the cap of the fuel tank other wise u get a build up of pressure in there..

my car was fine after that..if its like the mine and im sure it is. theres no fuel filter on these so all the crap comes up.. i know your gettting fuel but i bet its not enough. once it was clear it came out well fast.

is the fuel pump electrical or mechanical

absxxxx: yep, it's got an SU carb. I don't know much about carbs, but I've checked that the central pin thingy can be moved up and down in the chamber. I presume this is what you mean?

I'm convinced the spark is good, and that petrol goes into the carb, but somehow the fuel only makes it to one of the cylinders. I'll do a compression test like you suggest. Fuel into at least one cylinder seems to *suggest* that the carb is OK. Perhaps inlet manifold problem, or the block itself :eek:

BTW, the car is 12 years old, with 150,000 miles on the clock!! It won't pass its next MOT anyway in October, but it would be good to be able to use it until then.

GlennMR2: I agree that it sounds like a fuel problem. And I'm sure you're right about the fuel filter, after looking for one in the manual and in the engine bay, I deduced that it doesn't have one!

I *think* it's got an electrical fuel pump, but I'll confirm this tonight. Good idea about the air line: I know you put air into the fuel pump outlet (leading to the tank eventually), but do you think i'd damage the carb if I put air into the carb's fuel inlet as well (to blow out any crap in the carb)? Thinking about it, I'll hold fire on blowing into the carb. Doesn't sound like a good idea of mine!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice. I'll give that stuff a go, and let you know how I get on.

:thanks: