The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid Jspec turbos and single options

Supra-love

Just in talks with a turbo company and he’s said it’s possible he can hybrid the current turbos to achieve up to 650 bhp.

Had a quick google and can’t find any hybrid stock turbos achieving that. Also if it was possible to hybrid the current turbos for 650bhp what else surrounding the turbos needs upgrading?

His other option to go single and achieve higher bhp with the efr9180.

The guys message is below.

Would like to know people thoughts on these options.

Hi Luke, it certainly IS possible to upgrade the stock turbos, and we;'ve done lots over the years. I'm fairly sure you would struggle to reach the power you are after, I'm thinking around 650 would max out the stock housings. If you are willing to take on the work and convert to single turbo, that would be far more likely to get your 7-750Bhp. I would expect your best and most responsive turbo doing that power would be the EFR9180 with the 1.05A/R T4 twinscroll housing. I can come back to you with the price for this turbo on Monday morning.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I wouldn't think the stock twins would be able to put out enough boost to reach that power? If it were possible, I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot less singles floating about. From what I gather if you want more power than a basic bpu upgrade, you go single.

Munro Racing in Australia sell heavily re worked hybrids, a couple of members on here have his stage 4 version (yet to be fitted) that he said will do 550 at the wheels with an ecu, cams, injectors et.cetera.

Stu Hagen is a guy in the US who has heavily modified his OEM turbos.

Not sure to make of the above claims, an expensive lesson if it turns out that only produce the same power as UK hybrids.

TT is how Toyota designed the Supra, using any of the above will cost you more than going single with the added kicker of less power depending what turbo you choose.

Edited by Frank Bullitt
Spelling. (see edit history)

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I wouldn't think the stock twins would be able to put out enough boost to reach that power? If it were possible, I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot less singles floating about. From what I gather if you want more power than a basic bpu upgrade, you go single.

Exactly my thoughts as well mate, I will update this when he gets back to me about the option.

Munro Racing in Australia sell heavily re worked hybrids, a couple of members on here have his stage 4 version (yet t be fitted) that he said will do 550 at the wheels with an ecu, cams, injectors et.cetera.

[/url]

[/url]

Stu Hagen is a guy in the US who has heavily modified his OEM turbos.

[/url]

Not sure to make of the above claims, an expensive lesson if it turns out that only produce the same power as UK hybrids.

TT is how Toyota designed the Supra, using any of the above will cost you more than going single with the added kicker of less power depending what turbo you choose.

This is the thing if it turns out they don’t produce what he’s saying I’m better just going for the EFR9180 option.

I didn’t think it would be possibel to run that power with hybrid stocks.

I’m very interested with what they come back with on this

Hypothetically, if t is possible. How would is also compare to a more modern single turbo set up as well? I reckon single is the way to go.

Depends on what you want from the car. Some people like a single, personally I love the sequential system.

Maintaining it is expensive, if you don’t then you are only asking for something to go wrong. Having just recently ordered all new VSV’s it is looking like they could be the next parts being discontinued.

A true 550-600 at the wheels in sequential I would be amazing.

Correct me if Im wrong, but surely at big power levels, the restriction will be the downpipes? I very much doubt they'd flow enough to produce 500hp let alone 650

Munro Racing open up the OEM manifold, they sell their own Y pipe et cetera.

I believe Stu Hagen is having a new OEM cast manifold made, larger inside for better flow.

Both open up the wastegate to eliminate boost creep.

I ran 530bhp on my hybrid turbos, that was a lot of supporting mods though and methanol to get there. I wanted to see how far I could have pushed them. Even after a couple of years the car still pulled like a train and never missed a beat.

Check my out my old build thread, pretty sure it has the before and after of the dyno sessions when getting the work done

But the turbo s themselves are stock just modified manifold wastegate what boost is turbo s running to get over 500hp is this correct maybe someone could do up a list of what exactly is needed save lads going single route for 550hp.

Look on speedforsale.com gt28 sequential kit it’s on there , there’s also a massive thread on SF by stu Hagen and others running the kit have posted up, it does look really impressive the nice thing unlike any single you have that first turbo giving power and torque really early 1500-2000rpm, you need the whole kit it’s the manifold aswell as the modfied turbos making the difference and with the Hagen kit it’s not a stock one drilled out it’s been done by cad.

Another car running the kit

Look on speedforsale.com gt28 sequential kit it’s on there , there’s also a massive thread on SF by stu Hagen and others running the kit have posted up, it does look really impressive the nice thing unlike any single you have that first turbo giving power and torque really early 1500-2000rpm, you need the whole kit it’s the manifold aswell as the modfied turbos making the difference and with the Hagen kit it’s not a stock one drilled out it’s been done by cad.

Another car running the kit

Would this be the one mate?

http://shop.speedforsale.com/speedforsale-supra/stu-usdm-gt28-hybrid-stock-twin-turbo-upgrade-600rwhp/sfsmkivgt28usdm/i-2427305.aspx