The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice in buying a modified single turbo 6 speed

Redman

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice. A friend of mine is thinking of selling his heavily modified six speed single turbo supra. I’ve always loved the car since he imported it from Japan 14 years ago already modified. He has literally not done any additional modifications to it, only maintained it and it is a beast putting out about 720 bhp. It’s always just been his weekend car and his pride and joy. He’s not actively looking to sell but has said if I give him 26k which is exactly what it cost him 14 years ago that would seriously consider parting with it.

Based on what I’ve been reading on the forum I think it’s fairly priced and definitely a bonus that it’s someone I know and a one owner car since being imported. I would like to hear what you guys think. Also I would like your opinions on the fact that since it’s already been approximately 14years at least since the car has had thos modifications and still running strong, is that a good indication that it should give me many more miles of enjoyment or after 14 years I should expect that things will begin to start needing replacing and going wrong?

The total mileage of the car is 100,000 miles. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

No he isn’t . But he’s a very good friend of mine and he would always go on about how much better his car was than my r32 Gtr which I regrettably sold. He was referring to it’s durability and the fact that apart from routine maintenance he’s never had to spend anything excessive on it.

I’ve recently purchased a so called trustworthy members cars off here; heavily modified and and only done minimal mileage.

To say I’ve had my pants pulled down is an understatement, the workmanship can only be described as shocking and dangerous.

You would be amazed at how low people would sink for the love of money; happily lie through their teeth and couldn’t care less about what they’re about to put you through, and that’s for a car I was promised was all good; recently built and from a guy who swore by his reputation and name on here, I’d hate to think what a 14 year old modified example may bring up in terms of problems; be careful.

So he's imported it 14 years ago, big turbo, big power and not updated it? Technology has moved on in many ways since then, Id need to know exactly what it would take to update it.

Also who built it, who mapped it, what ECU, what turbo (probably a huge T88)

Many questions to answer before I parted with 26k thats for sure!

It has a T51. To be honest I can understand why he has not spent unnecessary money on “updating it”. He uses the car about once every 3 weeks, it’s fast as hell, always reliable, got very little lag, why spend unnecessary money on a car that more than serves its purpose just for the sake of it. I had another mate who had a perfectly fine fast reliable car until he decided to update it. He used the best parts he could source and sent it to reputable people to do the work. But as the saying goes shit happens and in his case it did. I think that a lot of car enthusiasts get caught up in the whole” I want to improve on what’s there and end up throwing money down the drain for no reason. As we all know , any update on cars like these aren’t cheap and when you sell you seldom get it back.

Thanks for the comment though, it gives me more things to think about and more angles to explore so I do appreciate them.

I’ve recently purchased a so called trustworthy members cars off here; heavily modified and and only done minimal mileage.

To say I’ve had my pants pulled down is an understatement, the workmanship can only be described as shocking and dangerous.

You would be amazed at how low people would sink for the love of money; happily lie through their teeth and couldn’t care less about what they’re about to put you through, and that’s for a car I was promised was all good; recently built and from a guy who swore by his reputation and name on here, I’d hate to think what a 14 year old modified example may bring up in terms of problems; be careful.

Which car did you buy?

What has been your experience is absolutely aweful Tabz. And yes you are correct many people will shove their conscience by the wayside for money. In looking back at it, was any of the work you described obvious or was it more internal as in things you would not have known until you boaught the car? Thanks for sharing your experience. The natural instinct when something like that happens is apart from wanting to rip the guy’s balls off and feed it to him , you feel like a mug and that you should have known better. We as human beings and the guy being on a supposedly trusted forum and community I totally understand that you would put some degree of trust in him so please don’t be too hard on yourself either. It’s dispicable that some people actually use that fact to con others

Which car did you buy?

John Doodes old car.

After digging a little deeper and registering on here, it’s clear he played ignorant; yet his previous posts contradict him.

Anyway it’s being put right; the thing is shocking once taken back a layer.

I’ve asked him to work with me but he’s blocked me so sadly it’s going through the legal route.

Edited by Tabz (see edit history)

I suppose as with anything, all you can do is give it a really good look over, and listen to it starting and running.

Would it help to take one of the really experienced guys from the forum with you? They may see or hear something you wouldn't

That’s not a bad idea if anyone here lives close to Croydon? I wouldn’t want to put anyone out their way

I’m failing to see how I’ve come out of this the badman???

The advert stated all the faults known

We both agreed on viewing the car had been neglected as I hadn’t had time to use it due to other projects and commitments.

Further faults were brought up after an inspection by you!

A test drive was done done on several full boost runs breaking traction every time with 295 wide r888 tyres on the rear.

When making a deal you stated all the extra parts you wasn’t happy with and your words “I’ll take it now for £19250 no questioned asked”

Now if you would like to to start a new post to Slander me on I’ll be happy to provide my sales advert, my build thread, my proof of selling the car to fund a new venture along with a receipt on selling the car to you that states sold as seen and tested to which to have signed and dated.

This was a private car sale I’m not running a business you want money off for a clutch that was fine running 800bhp on a test ride breaking traction with semi racing slicks?? Any forum member can see the clutch would be slipping before that broke traction?

I have a txt from you saying “it pulls really well”

As far as I’m concerned the deals been done I’ve been honest and helped you after the sale with extra info and who to take the car too.

Thanks for chiming in John.

More evidence for me to submit.

Given the amount of messages I’ve received in the last 24 hours along with your post history, it’s clear that you’re a compulsive liar and pulled the wool over my eyes with your sale ploy and playing ignorant; it’s clear you know more than you let on and took advantage of a novice returning to the fold after 12-15 years, the perfect candidate I guess.

It’s only a lesson and reminder for myself that due diligence should have been taken more seriously by myself, especially when dealing with sharks who sell themselves as being honourable and promote their name in a way that inspires a level of trust; (only to realise it’s an act)

Let’s save it for the court date shall we.

I’ve gathered relevant evidence and I’m confident in my case, I’m sure a Judge would love to hear your story; especially regarding a suspect engine that’s suffered from oil starvation due to a massive oil leak (you claim it was a return pipe and only dripped occasionally), or how about your magnificent workmanship on the fuel pump wiring, what an utter joke that was, oh hang on what about the clutch which is scrap(and you know it) yet you claim is good because it broke traction in a well nursed test drive by yourself, the list is endless and you’re in denial; your play of ignorance is/was a clear and obvious ploy to con me, one only needs to read your post history to see you’re well informed and knowledgeable within the mechanical discipline.

I’ve approached you to discuss this in a civilised manner but you’re hiding behind some very vague statements and false believe that you’ve declared known problems with the car; what you’ve done in reality is plaster over and lie about the true extent of the issues and hoped the ‘Im not a trader’ relieves you of all responsibility; the law states otherwise.

The car broke down on the way home within 10 miles of me leaving you, I text you to state the clutch is gone; smelt a rat as soon as you replied with your bs reply.

Again; let’s leave it to the courts; I’m not going to get worked up about it, as I said via text, you’re a common breed and reasoning with you is pointless. I will put the car right at my expense initially but shall fight and nail to receive some form of compensation via the legal process.

Haha sorry to clog up another members post.

Shall start my own project post in the near future; there’s a lot to post and I’m sure the horror or comedy (depends how you see it) of what’s been revealed so far will serve as a warning to others in way of pictures, there’s a lot to laugh about and obvious his name doesn’t mean much.

In honesty I’m not bothered to much and intend on putting it right but thought I’d give John an opportunity to do the right thing.

I will try to get a detailed spec list. Just would like to ask why do a lot of people go on about”updating”. If someone is happy about the performance of their car interns of speed and safety and the car has the figures to prove, why spend thousands on updating? Sure it may improve but only marginally , is it really worth it? And I’m not talking about maintenance

I've not been a modifier really but I get you, if it's running, has been reliable etc then you certainly don't have to mess with it at all.

If it's an old turbo or ecu then ok you could get more power, move the curve lower down etc etc but if it's a manual you can work around this and what's 600 vs. 650bhp for a few thousand £'s more. You could easily update things extract a bit more power and then push say the clutch over the edge, more expense, then perhaps the diff, or when it's remapped there is always a chance it's not done as well as it was on the ecu it had?

If it ain't broke don't fix it would be my view at least until you found something you didn't like (couldn't live with) or something broke and needed replacing, then you need to research the hell out of options and places to do the work.