The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front sub frame swap - off for galvanizing

rider

Following on from my recent rear sub frame/rear end overhaul I'm gathering all the parts ready to tackle the front end. I'm also getting a load of interior upgrade parts but thats very much a side distraction. So far I've pulled the following OEM parts together:

Second hand Sub frame and sub assembly (to be galvanized)

New Upper and lower arms

New sway bar and bushes

New arm bolts

I'll be recycling my existing hubs as they have very recent new discs, bearings and dust shield fitment. I've still to buy in new tie rod ends and all the frame securing bolts. If anyone has a good engine under cover they would be willing to part with I'd be interested in discussing as mine has a slight split which isn't anything that'd justify the cost of buying a new one.

Can anyone think of any obvious parts to add or look at around the frame or steering side of the car that could be showing signs of wear after 22 years and 110k miles? Its a project I'm thinking of tackling in Autumn next year so I'll probably start around the Summer with getting the frame and sub assembly off to the galvanizer. The rear end overhaul took 2 months from start to finish, I'm hopeful that tackling the front end will be somewhat easier/quicker.

Following on from my recent rear sub frame/rear end overhaul I'm gathering all the parts ready to tackle the front end. I'm also getting a load of interior upgrade parts but thats very much a side distraction. So far I've pulled the following OEM parts together:

Second hand Sub frame and sub assembly (to be galvanized)

New Upper and lower arms

New sway bar and bushes

New arm bolts

I'll be recycling my existing hubs as they have very recent new discs, bearings and dust shield fitment. I've still to buy in new tie rod ends and all the frame securing bolts. If anyone has a good engine under cover they would be willing to part with I'd be interested in discussing as mine has a slight split which isn't anything that'd justify the cost of buying a new one.

Can anyone think of any obvious parts to add or look at around the frame or steering side of the car that could be showing signs of wear after 22 years and 110k miles? Its a project I'm thinking of tackling in Autumn next year so I'll probably start around the Summer with getting the frame and sub assembly off to the galvanizer. The rear end overhaul took 2 months from start to finish, I'm hopeful that tackling the front end will be somewhat easier/quicker.

I have yet refurbish my Blk UK tt6's front sub frame and suspension I am hoping too that the front end is easier than the rear there doesn't seem to be any corrosion evident on the front end chassis etc. (I have already done all the sills and floor pan)

What are you doing with the aluminium section of the sub frame I have a spare one I might try and get it vapour blasted as the results look good on aluminium:)

I look forward to the updates and any unforeseen parts etc. I may need before I start mine but hopefully the Spring for me so you will probably be guided by me again;). Lets hope they are a little cheaper than the rear end too!

I have read you can hot or cold zinc dip/coat aluminium so was going to ask a galvanizer or two what their read on it is. I'm more than happy to be guided but the front parts aren't cheaper than the rear. Arms are more expensive and the sway bar is more expensive and the bar bushes are twice the price.

I have read you can hot or cold zinc dip/coat aluminium so was going to ask a galvanizer or two what their read on it is. I'm more than happy to be guided but the front parts aren't cheaper than the rear. Arms are more expensive and the sway bar is more expensive and the bar bushes are twice the price.

If I can it will get vapour blasted or sand blasted then coated with PU lacquered (really thick)

I have an excellent front sub frame probably just a quick rub down and paint plus I already have new oem front upper and lower arms bolts and drop links etc. ready to fit but didn't really take any notice to the cost when I ordered them! at least I will not be paying £600 for rear UK brake dust shields plus no expensive rear sub frame from Canada either;) plus I have complete low mileage Blidstein front shockers to match the rears I already have fitted

New uk calipers and oem discs I am 99% sure I have most things covered I hope.

When you mean sway bar you mean anti roll bar? again these don't seem to disintegrate like the rears.

The only thing I will need is new UK arb bushes they cannot be that expensive say £50 per pair at a guess I will have to call TCB:)

I think it will be 8 weeks but it all depends on how many parts are prepped before hand as these jobs always take longer than expected.

I'm getting my front and rear subframes done at the moment along with the underside being taken back to metal and built up again. As far as components for the front goes. I've just gone for arms, bushes, rods, ARB's and all the adjustment bolts for tracking etc.

You can get a good undertray from SRD that covers the entire underside of the front end if you don't mind a small aftermarket part under the car that you can spray black and count on doing a good job. Steering assemblies seem to be discontinued from Toyota I believe, so maybe worth looking into an overhaul of your own

That reads exactly what I am planning. The steering is really tight on the car so I will just leave alone unless someone comes up with some rubber bits that are best addressed after 22 years while you are in the vicinity.

On the sub frame zinc dip I'm considering it is supposed to give aluminium (or steel) up to 20 years protection against oxidation. Its a process that I believe is used on chequer plate to give that shiny chequer plate much loved by the Land Rover boys to put on top of wings and sometimes everywhere that is flat. Anyone remember how it all came out of the Supra factory? Was it painted, bare or lacquered? As Mark says, the front doesn't suffer anywhere near as much as the rear frame and associated components so it may just turn out to be a sand and paint when I take a close look at the swap frame I have.

The under tray has a very minor split, a result of speed hump grounding by the parallel scrapes on that part of the tray. I'd rather leave it alone unless anyone has a good one laying around needing a new home.

I haven't thought about the middle bit yet but I have bought in all new bolts, screws and clips for the sill and exhaust guards and shields ready for if/when.

I'm getting my front and rear subframes done at the moment along with the underside being taken back to metal and built up again. As far as components for the front goes. I've just gone for arms, bushes, rods, ARB's and all the adjustment bolts for tracking etc.

You can get a good undertray from SRD that covers the entire underside of the front end if you don't mind a small aftermarket part under the car that you can spray black and count on doing a good job. Steering assemblies seem to be discontinued from Toyota I believe, so maybe worth looking into an overhaul of your own

Looking forward to some pictures of work in progress and the finished product!

Good to know Littlenum undertakes this type of work.

That reads exactly what I am planning. The steering is really tight on the car so I will just leave alone unless someone comes up with some rubber bits that are best addressed after 22 years while you are in the vicinity.

On the sub frame zinc dip I'm considering it is supposed to give aluminium (or steel) up to 20 years protection against oxidation. Its a process that I believe is used on chequer plate to give that shiny chequer plate much loved by the Land Rover boys to put on top of wings and sometimes everywhere that is flat. Anyone remember how it all came out of the Supra factory? Was it painted, bare or lacquered? As Mark says, the front doesn't suffer anywhere near as much as the rear frame and associated components so it may just turn out to be a sand and paint when I take a close look at the swap frame I have.

The under tray has a very minor split, a result of speed hump grounding by the parallel scrapes on that part of the tray. I'd rather leave it alone unless anyone has a good one laying around needing a new home.

I haven't thought about the middle bit yet but I have bought in all new bolts, screws and clips for the sill and exhaust guards and shields ready for if/when.

The aluminium sub frames came just bare aluminium like the top arms, as I said I have pu lacquered my rear top arms and am extremley pleased with the result and they still look oem but a little brighter:D

Looking forward to some pictures of work in progress and the finished product!

Good to know Littlenum undertakes this type of work.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated :thumbs: gearbox is out and subframes are off so the real fun is about to begin!

James has been great so far, can't recommend him enough.

It'd be useful for those who don't DIY on the underside titillation to have a list of 'qualified' professional outfits that do. As the marque evolves towards garage queens there will be many more needing this service over the next few years.

Can you define "qualified"?

I'd say there's a few people that can do a good job of it, that's for sure. But surely only Toyota are "qualified"?

Cant locate a write up for the removal of the front sub frame and assembly. Does anyone have any pointers, particularly regarding any requirement to support the engine and transmission on jacks during the swap over and what to do with the steering rack during the process. Should that be taken off with the frame and hubs or uncoupled and left with the car?