The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jimjam92's 96 RZ-S

jimjam92

Hi, thought it was about time to finally share with you guys my pride and joy. I have owned the car since March 17 and have loved every moment of it.

First a bit about my previous driving history. I purchased a Toyota MR2 four years ago, and contracted a severe case of 'Japcaritis'. Since then I've owned another MR2 (which I still have), a Nissan 350Z and a Nissan Skyline R32 GTR.

It was the change from 350Z to Skyline that prompted the search for a Supra, as I quickly discovered the older Nissan was more 'race car for the road' than road car - having daily'd the 350Z for over a year I guess I'd become accustomed to a nice comfy GT car, plus the MR2 I still own was by this time fully stripped and being used as a track weapon. I did not need 2! It also spent more time in the garage having things fixed in my ownership than it did on the road.

So with the Skyline gone the search for the Supra started. So first thing was first, I bought a 1.0 Seat Arosa!

Now armed with a new daily driver that was cheap to run and more importantly, reliable (Nissan wink) I started viewing Supras around the country. After about a month of scouring classifieds, as is so often the case, the right car appeared more or less on my doorstep! I immediately contacted the seller, and went to view it the next day.

Safe to say, the car was everything I had hoped it would be, and I put a deposit on it the very same day.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

When I first purchased the car it had some 'questionable' styling mods. The eyelid things were liberated immediately, and I wasn’t a fan of the Bomex front bumper, so a new (old) front bumper was sourced, as well as a more aggressive front lip.

Other than that all I have done to the car is keep it clean, replaced the old Japanese rubber with some new Falkens, and swapped out the milky headlight for a refurbished one. I’ve tried to keep modifications to a minimum, and I think the car is a great example of a nearly stock Supra – a rare thing nowadays.

The car only gets used on weekends, and I think I must have been to nearly every major show in South East England this summer, as somehow I’ve managed to rack up 8000 miles since I’ve owned it. I've also done a couple of track sessions, and a drag day at Suprapod with you guys.

Anyway, here is the spec:

Toyota Supra RZ-S

70000 miles (112000 kilometres)

Manufactured at the Motomachi plant, Japan in June 1996

199 Alpine Silver

TRD aero package

Larger 323mm 4 pot front and 324mm 2 pot rear brake option

ABS

Traction control

4 speed automatic

Torsen LSD

Active spoiler

Optional rear sub woofer

The car has a few subtle modifications including:

Tein Sport Mono Flex coilovers

Blitz Nur Spec R catback exhaust and 1st catalytic converter removed

Blitz turbo timer

HKS SSQV blow off valve

BBS LM wheels

And finally, a few pictures of the car in it's current form:

(PS I'm fully aware that I look about 15!)

DSC_0441-web.jpg

DSC_0433 (web).jpg

DSC_0447-web.jpg

Edited by jimjam92 (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, the car has developed a knock from the rear suspension. Sounds like a loose ball joint or worn bush. It's annoying the hell out of me! Have had the car up on a ramp (four post, so suspension was fully compressed) and everything seems tight. Thinking by process of elimination it could be a top mount for one of the coilovers. Will have a good look this weekend.

Other than that, no reliability issues to speak of, despite the cold weather. Go Toyota! Mind you, it has barely moved in the last few weeks due to not wanting to drive it in winter and serves a better purpose as driveway art. #firstworldproblems

I'd hoped to have worked on it more over the Christmas break but the weather has not been ideal for rolling around on the floor. I'd like to take out the turbo piping and inlet manifold and get them cleaned up and re-painted, as to my mind they are the only things letting the engine bay down.

Yes, they can do. Worth checking anyway even if it's not the cause of the noise.

Checked them today and they were all fine. Also had the suspect coilover out and looked fine. Now thinking possibly just an anti roll bar link? Going to try disconnecting the ARB to see if that then cures the noise, then I'll know if it's just drop links. Really confused as everything is tight with no play or noticeably worn or perished bushes anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just went back to this and realised Imagur also failed, so just going to try attaching what I can in the usual way.

Also still haven't solved my knocking problem (although admittedly I've been spending the majority of my time working on my MR2, the joys of a track car). Think I may just throw money at the problem and buy a full bush kit, and new coilovers. I think Whifbitz do a complete handling package including BC Coilovers and thicker anti roll bars. What does everyone thinK?

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/garage-whifbitz-supra-handling-kit.html

In other news, the article for my work is now up:

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/cult-classics/toyota-supra-supercar-killer/

Here are the rest of the pictures from the shoot:

DSC_0427 (web).jpg

DSC_0431 (web).jpg

DSC_0450-web.jpg

DSC_0456-web.jpg

DSC_0465-web.jpg

DSC_0501 (web).jpg

DSC_0505 (web).jpg

DSC_0506-web.jpg

DSC_0512-web.jpg

DSC_0535-web.jpg

• 1 month later...

Quick update:

Found the source of my suspension knock - the driver's side rear coilover had been leaking and the damper was fapping about doing nothing! Thought about rebuilding but as they are the JDM Teins the car was imported with thought it would just be easier to replace, so went for some nice new BC Racing BR series. To say the car is transformed is an understatement! Not only has the knock gone but the car now glides over bumps, all the harshness I would usually associate with coilover suspension has now gone - I think the decision to choose rubber top mounts rather than pillow-ball style ones like on the Teins helped a lot!

In other news, the Supra has gained a new stablemate :D

Factory Midnight Purple 180sx Type X - allegedly the only one in the UK in this colour!

29356847_10156152401218905_392591535914352640_n.jpg