The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drive by wire throttle conversion

Mac Srt

As I'm in the process of a single conversion, we were discussing the option of a DBW throttle conversion.

I Just wondered if I could get a bit feedback from people who have it fitted, its quite expensive so don't want to jump in without a bit research.

Mines a VVTI so I would need to change the inlet manifold, but I have been told that they are worth it when using the syvecs ECU.

Cheers

I have experienced the downside of DBW in a Mitsubishi L200 with the throttle pedal position sensor failing every 2 to 3 years and its a fairly expensive part to replace (£150 a time). What advantages would DBW as opposed to a cable pull bring to a Supra as the main safety advantages of DBW seem tied into a lot of other position and speed sensors which are not available on a 20 year old car?

I thought the main benefit was to do with controlling the traction control ? I was just thinking with the car getting more power, It would be worth it. If the improvements don't justify the cost then it's something I may not bother doing.

/QUOTE]

Yep, basically in theory you could have sensors on all the hubs and DBW helping give the best launch like a modern car.

I was going to go down this route but the hastle of the setup and added complication put me off and decided to stay analogue. As has been pointed out, sensors fail and if they do you will be stuck at the side of the road unless you are carrying a spare, a laptop and the know-how.

Pros and cons i guess, depends what you want.

More to go wrong, many use far too big a throttle body leading to odd effects, a lot more to map, some more to go wrong, costly, heavy, more wiring and connectors, etcetera. Unless you have specific mapping needs that a DBW throttle might be useful to I would stick with the Bowden cable. The VVTi would have used DBW for emissions purposes.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)