The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cost to Forge the engine

_Shane_

Evening all,

Just wondering what would the costs be in forging the bottom end of a 2jz

I am just curious to know what the money is spent on i.e labor, cost of parts, machine work etc

What would someone expect to pay to have a bottom end built if you were to provide the parts yourself (rods, pistons, water pump, oil pump, bearings etc)

Thanks

Completely depends on the condition of the parts you're supplying and your engine block. I wouldn't buy pistons until you have the block stripped down to check the condition of the bores. For what little they cost I would also source a good used crank, just in case yours is worn. You can always sell one of them and get your money back if not needed.

Put it this way, if it were me, I would want to have a fund of a few £k on top of the parts prices, and be prepared to have your car off the road for a considerable amount of time should it need work. It makes sense to change a lot of seals, gaskets, core plugs etc at the same time.

Just out of interest, what are your goals?

Firstly, define your goals for what you want the engine to achieve, displacement, power goals, boost levels etc. Will it be a road engine, race engine etc. Research some parts that might fit your goals so you know roughly what could go into the finished product.

Second, take your existing block/head/crank etc to a machinist. Explain the above to him, devise a plan of attack, get their advise on clearances/bore finishes/balancing/porting/parts cleaning etc. Let them work their magic, and let them confirm the specs of the machine work (worth double checking once received back from the machine shop).

Then you can order in parts like pistons/bearings/valves etc. After you got all your machines bits and new parts you can get round to assembling it or get a shop to do so for you.

In terms of engine parts and costs, sky is kind of the limit really. But for your average 1000hp built bottom end, you will be looking at minimum 3k in bottom end aftermarket components (pistons/rods/bearings/arp fasteners/head gasket oem service items), but you could go mental spending many times that with billet main caps/heavy duty components/strokers etc.

Machine work cost kind of depends on how much altercation is required of your current engine. You could spend a couple hundred quid on just getting the block faced, honed, cleaned. Or easily over a grand if you require boring, deburing, torque plates, main cap alignment, crank balancing etc etc.

If an engine assembler is handed all the required parts and main components that have been machined to spec, then the assembly process will be somewhat straight forward and labour should be less then a grand. Any issues in the process may put this cost higher.

Don't forget to get someone with experience of running an engine in properly, otherwise all the above may be for nothing.

I was looking online at some good package combo deals and was wondering what the labor costs would be to forge my engine if i provided all the required parts.

My engine / box is currently out of my car also sitting on a pallet.

Was looking into possibly forging the engine but wondering what i would be expected to be charged on labor / machining whether engine is in excellent condition or poor condition upon stripping it and inspecting it.

I forgot to add to the first post that it would be just a forged engine for street use. I have a hks T51 spl pushing 636bhp at just over 1bar of boost. Was advised that i could raise the boost if i had a forged engine etc where i could get more use out of the turbo. I may just swap out this turbo in the new year for a smaller faster spooling setup

I would be keeping it at 3 liter, would not be going stroker kits or any of that stuff. Brand wise i was looking at a combo deal of forged pistons / rods for roughly 1000 euro on a site the other day.

At the moment i am just toying with the idea, was mainly looking at what costs are involved to have someone strip my existing block, do all required machine work and re-assemble fully forged

So there is currently nothing wrong with the engine on the pallet?

I'd rather run it until it lets go and just have a spare block on the side, much cheaper. You could raise the boost, plenty of people at 1.6 bar on stock rods. I think you would be better exploring turbo setups in honesty, something like a 6266, that SPL and a forged engine are overkill for a 600bhp target.

It's definitely not cheap building an engine and you do want it done right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say :)

So there is currently nothing wrong with the engine on the pallet?

I'd rather run it until it lets go and just have a spare block on the side, much cheaper. You could raise the boost, plenty of people at 1.6 bar on stock rods. I think you would be better exploring turbo setups in honesty, something like a 6266, that SPL and a forged engine are overkill for a 600bhp target.

It's definitely not cheap building an engine and you do want it done right. If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say :)

:yeahthat: 600bhp is well within the capabilities of a 2JZ, I was running 700bhp on a stock unopened engine with no trouble at all

For engine work speak to Littlenum maybe. He totally rebuilt my engine but as my power level goals were within the stock engine abilities I decided that forged pistons and rods were not needed. But I did go for ARP bolts.

Agreed, speak to Num aka James.

That said stock block is good for 600as mentioned above without any hassle.

What i am looking for is a breakdown on price.

What machine work is involved and costs etc

Been quoted a few different prices from people to forge the engine. Was looking at possibly doing it next year, i could start buying some bits in the mean time and give all these to the engine builder.

Thanks

What i am looking for is a breakdown on price.

What machine work is involved and costs etc

Been quoted a few different prices from people to forge the engine. Was looking at possibly doing it next year, i could start buying some bits in the mean time and give all these to the engine builder.

Thanks

PM'd you mate :)