The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gearbox issues/options

nicky

So if you remember my post before I blew an auto gearbox over 2 months ago...

I’ve now blown yet another one... the car was dyno’d a little over powered for the auto box but we couldn’t get into the ECU to change anything and don’t want to spend another load of money down tuning the car and not being happy with it!

I’ve decided to take my car off the road and change to manual, I WAS going to do the T56 magnum gearbox going off internet prices from US but I’ve been quoted over £10k to supply and fit which is well OTT in my opinion my next question is what else is viable and available for me? That could hold up to 1000hp/lbft (to be safe) I know that obviously 160/161 would end up costing less than the t56 but still was looking for a cheaper option than the v160 if there’s any ideas?

All info would help.

For £10k you’re almost viable to get dog box!

Recently put a 350z 6 speed CD009 on a single turbo supra using this colins adapter kit . Compared to some of the BMW kits I've fitted, this 350 kit ticks all the boxes. Everything fits nice and easy, drives nice, makes less noise etc.

Haven't tested this gearbox on something with crazy power, but seems to be a reliable box when running decent power according to what sort of the Americans are reporting.

Pricing seems to be in the 3-4k range including kit & gearbox.

Could be another option to consider.

Srd isf 8speed of wifblitz bmw 7speed box.

Manual r154 but doubt it will hold the torque of a 1000hp car.

V160/v161

T56 you end up having to spend another 10k at least on the rear/diff set up

Bmw boxes with kits.

350z gear bix kits.

If mine blew id be going with 350z set up. But my ultimate would be the ISF Route.

Edited by Hitbox Junkie (see edit history)

You can do it way cheaper than 10k I remember looking into it ages ago as never liked my getrag feel Joel at Grannas wanted around 2k for the swap kit everything prop shaft etc just minus the gearbox, as you can get the magnum already in the uk from here https://roadcraftuk.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=734 for £3200 , the only issue is the ratio but get a na auto diff 4,27 and stick a aftermarket lsd in it when I looked into it the gearing went ;

Tyre 255/45-17 tire. Redline 8000

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th

55 82 112 145 181 230

Edited by chazuk (see edit history)

Torquey 1000 BHP engines don't come cheap and neither do suitable transmissions. Add in something with suitable ratios, a clutch kit and flywheel, bellhousing and propshaft, gear linkage mods, etcetera and you are into big money whichever way you go. Forget dog boxes on the road. A V160 is massively beyond its design remit on such an engine, you are into trick Borg Warners and they shift like a truck box as everything is big inside with loads of inertia. That's assuming the Yanks haven't been very optimistic about their torque ratings to start with.Probably the most torquey petrol production engine is the V10 "truck" engine in Dodge Vipers, that uses some high end Borg Warner and might survive.

Dodge viper torque pfft only 600, tbh forget the 154 they eat their selves at around 600 ftlb, the v160/161 although beyond its capability specs seems to hold up very well unless doing hard drag launches for fun, also the fact that they can be rebuilt now its a no brainer really.