The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why does the mk4 supra not look dated as other cult cars ?

herbiemercman

Hi Everyone, Not sure what other members think but why is it that this particular car does not age in it's aesthetic appeal to many petrol heads, all be it this car is known for its mechanical potential for mega performance tuning. Look at the E-Type Jaguar, in its day it was the nicest thing on the planet and now, IMHO it looks really dated and old, its the same with the Italian oldies, may be i am biased, but 20 year old cars do not cut it with me apart from the Mk4 Supra.

Are any other members biased? it would be interesting to know. Some thing is very unique about these cars and this is starting to be noticed with the asking prices which are bearing fruit.

I am sure the appeal for this car will last longer than the roads in the Uk where you can "let them run", most of Scottish roads are being muted by average speed cameras and England is moving in that direction as well as the levels of congestion where speed is totally eliminated, where i live with three major M/Ways there are only a few hours per week where you can get the boot down, the most of the time it is just a 50 mph convoy or a queue, so may be just looking at our cars will become the main pleasure in the near future. What do you think ? Herbie.

Edited by herbiemercman (see edit history)

Hi Everyone, Not sure what other members think but why is it that this particular car does not age in it's aesthetic appeal to many petrol heads, all be it this car is known for its mechanical potential for mega performance tuning. Look at the E-Type Jaguar, in its day it was the nicest thing on the planet and now, IMHO it looks really dated and old, its the same with the Italian oldies, may be i am biased, but 20 year old cars do not cut it with me apart from the Mk4 Supra.

Are any other members biased? it would be interesting to know. Some thing is very unique about these cars and this is starting to be noticed with the asking prices which are bearing fruit.

I am sure the appeal for this car will last longer than the roads in the Uk where you can "let them run", most of Scottish roads are being muted by average speed cameras and England is moving in that direction as well as the levels of congestion where speed is totally eliminated, where i live with three major M/Ways there are only a few hours per week where you can get the boot down, the most of the time it is just a 50 mph convoy or a queue, so may be just looking at our cars will become the main pleasure in the near future. What do you think ? Herbie.

You should have been at the NEC Classic car show last weekend there was a lot of stunning 20+ year old cars there one of my favourites being the De Tomaso Pantera oh my goodness the Orange one was orgasmic !!! I do admit the Supra is ageing very well compared to the mitz GT3000 or the Nissan 300zx altho there was a very nice red one on the stand next to us, one other JAP ageing well is the iconic Datsun Z240/260

Cheers

-Ian-

or yeah. with you on this one for sure. took my car to get fuel one day and an older guy walked across and said hey nice car, he then stopped and took alook at the plate. with it being on an L plate 93 he honestly couldint believe it lol. if you have a nice clean car, waxed to the max they really stand out nowadays. the amount of attention my car gets now is unreal.

I think the shape is an icon very similar lines to a 240/260z.

On the owning a car for the shape a guy who I know owns a huge car collection and he buys them more for the look not the performance! He owns a Lamborghini countach and muira plus many others he never drives them either his mechanic does though!

I dunno. Supra s in the wrong colour without the factory optional kit can look a bit dated to me. Especially with yellowing headlights and bad choice of wheels.

BUT... in the right colour even with oem wheels it can still be very nice standard and look modern.

I m amazed how much attention its started getting. 5 -8 years ago people were very dis interested in them. Now I get filmed and thumbs up all the time when I take it out. Really strange.

I have also had this before at a car show. The lady parked next to me in her Lotus Elise (which was newer!) was looking around my engine bay (I have a stock TT in immaculate condition) and commented 'It's amazing how much technology modern cars have nowadays'. She was rather shocked when I explained to her the car is from 1996 and older than hers! :haha:

I dunno. Supra s in the wrong colour without the factory optional kit can look a bit dated to me. Especially with yellowing headlights and bad choice of wheels.

BUT... in the right colour even with oem wheels it can still be very nice standard and look modern.

I m amazed how much attention its started getting. 5 -8 years ago people were very dis interested in them. Now I get filmed and thumbs up all the time when I take it out. Really strange.

Yeh,i agree some look great,others can look a bit dated.