The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cat D

peter richards

Buy with your eyes well open and check throughly the damage sustained (making sure the vehicle has not been pulled to make it look not as bad) and also the true cost of repair back to pre accident condition.

If your are thinking of using used parts check availability before buying.

I have had very good results buying cat c's and d's again look at the amount of damage they do vary I have seen cat x and u cars that were very heavily damaged. I also wouldn't buy a repaired car that was previously damaged because so much can get bodged and covered up.

Also remember when repaired it will only be worth 2/3rds of what it would be if not recorded also check your insurance company will insure a catted car as many will not.

Cat d does not mean that the owner has chosen not to repair at all....Nor does it mean minor damage

Category C

The estimated repair cost to your vehicle are more than the market value of your car. IE your Nissan mirca 1995 gets a big dent meaning it needs a new door and some paint.....car worth £300 = Cat C

CAT D

A Cat D write-off is also fixable, and at a repair cost lower than the car’s market value, but the insurance company's decision to repair a vehicle like this will take into account other factors, such as the cost of a courtesy car while it’s being mended and the cost of inspection fees to validate the completed repairs.

So a 20k car could have had 8k worth of damage and been a CAT D

As I said in an earlier post never buy a repaired one as you will really never know what was damaged I would have gone for inner wing, chassis leg or suspension damage. They generally do not write cars off for no reason e.g. a wing and mirror.

I have a 2012 vw caravelle that I bought damaged (cat d) when it was 18 months old and trust me it didn't look that bad in the pics!

If it was say a golf or something people will always buy them but the higher end stuff people are so picky so just be aware of resale values too!

well I asked him for the pics it had a bit more than just a bumper , front side wing, bumper , mirror he said he had the estimate from Porsche for the repair which lead to the cat D . seems up front from his replies and it only looks like a side swipe , nothing major

If you can get the reg from him, do a dummy ad on Autotrader and it should come up with the CAT D or C during attempted ad placement, just to confirm his category.