The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Everybody loves a single thread

Jellybean

Looking at a Street setup , Black Friday is here & exchange rate is good ; was thinking SRD or Whifbitz (Precision Journal setup or BW EFR)

I like the stainless housing of the BW and support network

Trying to gauge cost for additional support items

Fuel pump I know needs uprating and some -AN8 fuel lines , Manifold studs...

Heres my Spec

OEM 2JZ block and head.

6 Speed Manual

OS Giken 575 ftlb clutch

264 9.5mm Tomei Poncams

Siemens Dekra 890 cc

Billet Fuel Rail

Bosch Motorsports FRP

One De-cat and 2nd sport cat

HKS Exhaust

Greddy 4 row intercooler

255 Walbro Fuel pump

Motec M130

Motec LTC Wideband controller and Bosch LSU 4.9

Every single is one less NA or TT and usually a big breaking list a few years down the line. I love it.

Useless reply ! As my mother said " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything ! "

What is your power goal as you seem to have a reasonable spec ? I am sure if you spoke to SRD or Whiftbitz about the kit they would be able to advise what else you need. I would also think it comes down to what the kit includes, I know some kits come with everything you need including all washers and fixings etc.

Asked Paul alright ;)

Currently I am looking at the FSR Street Kit too

SMAX ported Supra cast manifold, short stud kit

Precision 6466 BB CEA

Wastegate Precision 46mm or Turbosmart

4 inch SS TIG welded downpipe w/ one (1) standard O2 bung and dump tube with v-band flange and clamps

4" 6061 TIG welded Mandrel bent intake tube with K&N Filter

SS braided oil feed and return lines

billet machined T4 oil return flanges and JZ oil pan flanges, machined -10AN male fittings built in

Supplied in the kit, gaskets, short studs, and hardware for bolting up the turbo, turbo manifold, and doing the coolant bypass

thermostat housing rotator to make installing your FMIC piping a breeze.

http://www.fsrmotorsports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=10&Itemid=87

On the link is says turbo size am i being stupid as to not know what that means?

looks a good piece of kit for the cost. you've got a lot already for it such as stand alone ecu.

what will the tax be on the kit when it lands to you?

Have you got heat cover for the turbo? As you probably already know they get silly hot :p

What are your power goals? are you future proofing it in case you want to go more power later on? Is the clutch up to spec with the power goals your going for? looking at the graphs of other precision 6266 they are above the 550ftlb torque.

Is the turbo a gen 2?

Good luck with it going to be a very nice responsive set up :D

Asked Paul alright ;)

Currently I am looking at the FSR Street Kit too

SMAX ported Supra cast manifold, short stud kit

Precision 6466 BB CEA

4 inch SS TIG welded downpipe w/ one (1) standard O2 bung and dump tube with v-band flange and clamps

SS braided oil feed and return lines

billet machined T4 oil return flanges and JZ oil pan flanges, machined -10AN male fittings built in

Supplied in the kit, gaskets, short studs, and hardware for bolting up the turbo, turbo manifold, and doing the coolant bypass

thermostat housing rotator to make installing your FMIC piping a breeze.

http://www.fsrmotorsports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=29&category_id=10&Itemid=87

Ate you looking for a shop to do the work? Or are you doing it yourself?

Cheers

I know this is going to sound petty, but the street fighter, like all log manifolds sound terrible imo.

Obviously it's design allows for quicker spool which is hard to argue with, but I'm not a fan of the sound at all.

I'd rather suffer from an extra 500rpm spool time and have a tubby manifold that makes a 2J sound like it should.

On the link is says turbo size am i being stupid as to not know what that means?

looks a good piece of kit for the cost. you've got a lot already for it such as stand alone ecu.

what will the tax be on the kit when it lands to you?

Have you got heat cover for the turbo? As you probably already know they get silly hot :p

What are your power goals? are you future proofing it in case you want to go more power later on? Is the clutch up to spec with the power goals your going for? looking at the graphs of other precision 6266 they are above the 550ftlb torque.

Is the turbo a gen 2?

Good luck with it going to be a very nice responsive set up :D

Will get the Turbo housing heat coated , they have made 1000 hp on the kit , as for power goal , I dont have any , just a fast responsive street setup

I reckon the clutch should be ok , I can only get 95 octane fuel here ; it will not be crazy torque numbers

I know this is going to sound petty, but the street fighter, like all log manifolds sound terrible imo.

Obviously it's design allows for quicker spool which is hard to argue with, but I'm not a fan of the sound at all.

I'd rather suffer from an extra 500rpm spool time and have a tubby manifold that makes a 2J sound like it should.

Thats my reservation too, but this Log over double the volume of other cast manifold kits ; maybe the sound of the kit is all good

Price depending , SRD / whifbitz kit might be more cost effective with the exchage rate, shipping cost, taxes ...

Thats my reservation too, but this Log over double the volume of other cast manifold kits ; maybe the sound of the kit is all good

Price depending , SRD / whifbitz kit might be more cost effective with the exchage rate, shipping cost, taxes ...

And also from a problem solving point of view, just say something doesn't fit right or something is missing you would get help on the phone and parts in a couple of days

I'm looking to ditch my log manifold setup and go tubular. I can't deal with the crap noise any longer :D

Every single is one less NA or TT and usually a big breaking list a few years down the line. I love it.

Wow what a penis you are, why do you involve yourself in the business of owners choices, Is it because you can't afford to do it yourself, I see you are complaining in another thread about not being able to get a refund on a bolt you snapped. Turbo life on N/A budgets.

Rest assured, even if he did decide to break it for some bizarre reason rather than return to stock it will always be worth more than yours.

To the OP I agree with Mike, get a tubular manifold and really enjoy the noise, it's a great experience. I went with the SRD manifold, it is a premium item and I like the single wastegate setup (half the potential problems). Also be aware of buying parts designed for use on LHD cars, they may interfere with the RHD steering column. And lastly it will be easier to deal with any fault if you buy this side of the pond. I know it all comes down to budget but if it meant saving and waiting some more, it will always work out in the long run.

Enjoy the process and good luck with the build.

Precision 6466 BB CEA

Very good choice mate. You won't be disappointed with the spool on the 6466 just make sure you go for the 1.0 AR option.

You want a 60mm wastegate if using just one(with a tubular manifold). I’d also reccommend a proper tubular manifold a la Whifbitz or SRD. For your power goal a on a stock block I’d day go 6266 or equivalent turbo. You’ll make 620-ish ft/lbs on vpower maxed right out, more than enough to scare your stock rod bolts!

AN8 fuel feed line and stock return, and one walbro 485 pump will be sufficient.

Edited by TheTurtleshead (see edit history)

Wow what a penis you are, why do you involve yourself in the business of owners choices, Is it because you can't afford to do it yourself, I see you are complaining in another thread about not being able to get a refund on a bolt you snapped. Turbo life on N/A budgets.

Rest assured, even if he did decide to break it for some bizarre reason rather than return to stock it will always be worth more than yours.

To the OP I agree with Mike, get a tubular manifold and really enjoy the noise, it's a great experience. I went with the SRD manifold, it is a premium item and I like the single wastegate setup (half the potential problems). Also be aware of buying parts designed for use on LHD cars, they may interfere with the RHD steering column. And lastly it will be easier to deal with any fault if you buy this side of the pond. I know it all comes down to budget but if it meant saving and waiting some more, it will always work out in the long run.

Good post. Also looking to ditch my log manifold for a tubular item.

A single is not to everyone's taste and all opinions should be respected as we all love our cars that's why we are on here right?

I actually like my cars being twin turbo but would like a big single in my collection too just not converting my existing cars😂

If anyone can afford a single turbo or what ever he wants it is rider his garage for example is larger than all the my house and land it is on and that's 1/3rd of an acre. How many people restore a car and look after it because they have promised it their 5 year old grandson?

This thread is a member asking for people's opinions on his future plans and the club lends their experience. Where as Rider input was to wish his car be broken for parts, heart warming, such community spirit.

One can only hope his grandson adopts only his car and not his unhelpful odious opinions.

Yeah I have to agree here... the guy just asked for advise. It has little to do with how much money someone has or how other people feel about his plans. My guess is we have many owners that can afford to do what ever they feel like with there cars but you don’t see them lining up to have a cheap pop at someone.

If people get offended then I apologise, my remark was very much a tongue in cheek comment. Having said that people should really wonder why they are so easily affronted. Every word I wrote has a basis in fact. You do lose a NA or a TT every time someone does a single mod because no way is it remotely economical to convert the car back to what it was before, that's a fact. Then you do see a lot of old and sometimes not so old singles being broken because the parts are worth more than the car, that's a fact. I never get why people get upset about facts but you do see it often in all walks of life on every subject matter of life? Stock cars, the blank canvas for singles, were not so long ago under half the price of decent spec conversions. Today there is a slither between them and if you take the price evolution as a trend then stocks will overtake modified singles fairly soon. That's a verifiable trend over several years.

If people want to go single then all power to them. It doesn't make economic sense and my own personal preference is if I wanted a 600bhp car then I'd go out and buy a off the shelf 600bhp car. OK you lose out on the creativity side of things, the man and machine in perfect harmony because you got to decide the spec and maybe even put it together yourself. I've got creative with some of my cars doing dashboard veneers and such and it does undoubtedly create an emotional attachment. Some people though seem to have the idea big HP Supras are superior to stock HP Supras. Its a really old car, I personally imagine superior is current production technology. which is a valid opinion borne out of facts, trends and data.

The OP wonders about going single, wondering about why bother doing that to a Supra should be forefront in anyone's thinking. 10 years ago when you could buy these cars for under £5k as a throw away ageing relic why not throw a few £ at it and stick on a big turbo and lots of people did, I admit, even considered it myself as maybe something to do before the car died. I'm glad I didn't and I don't regard people who did wrong, deficient or stupid in any way for doing it. Its their car to do with as they want and if it brings joy and excitement that's fantastic. Just don't assume its the superior choice because facts don't lie. Its a bad investment for the car and there are better, newer, cars out there.

You'll never catch me bad mouthing anyone for their opinion even if its in my opinion a wrong opinion. That's because I'm mature enough to appreciate everyone is entitled to have one. Anyone posing the question to the OP of, are you really 100% sure this is a good idea, is probably imparting the best advice he will receive.

If anyone can afford a single turbo or what ever he wants it is rider his garage for example is larger than all the my house and land it is on and that's 1/3rd of an acre. How many people restore a car and look after it because they have promised it their 5 year old grandson?

Who gives a f$#k how big his house and land is [emoji23][emoji23] No 1 fan right there! It's his attitude towards others that stinks and if you haven't figured that out by now then sadly you sit in the same boat.

It depends how much you plough into it, of course spend £40k on it and its gonna be worth more in parts than it is to sell

There are still big spec cars that sell for good money (a98pmalcolm for example)

Mine can join the single breaking club soon, but one less on the road means a bit rarer and a price increase for yours :)