The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension recommendations?

muckyman

Hi all

my Supra TT is currently still on factory suspension but its feeling pretty tired and a bit soft.

Could anyone give me a recommendation from personal experience of a set up that has springs that are a bit firmer than OEM as well as being height adjustable.

Have been looking on the likes of Whifbitz and hope to see some Black Friday deals around, but I'm unsure what options meet my requirements....

many thanks

Michael

Depends what you are planning on doing.

Unless you need camber adjustment you habe a huge variety.

I have Tein street advance coil overs...only cost 500-700, depending on who is selling them.

They are fully height adjustable and dampening adjustable.

If you have the dampening on firm it is pretty firm, but not too bad (what I run them on) , however they are about as firm as oe springs in the middle of their adjustment...I would highly recomend, unless camber adjustment is needed I don't see the reason for going for silly expensive suspension...I have been in supras with the likes of hks suspension and I person ally can't feel the difference. They use the oe top mounts aswell

Just make sure you spray copper ease on the threads regardless of the coil overs you get so they can be adjusted in the future...have a alot of friends that have had to buy new suspension when they seized.

I have heard not great things about bc.

I do various kits based on new German made Bilstein Sports, to use either stock springs and top mounts, or my own custom springs on stock top mounts. Fast road to track specs. I can make them off car height adjustable, too.

I'll send you an email inquiry shortly Chris........

How does it corner? Alot of body roll? Consider doing your ARB bushes to. Youd be suprised the effect they have.

Cornering isn't bad to be honest but the compression rate, especially at the rear over mild dips in the road, is much much softer than I'm happy with. After 20 years it's likely time for an upgrade...

I’m trying a set of eibach springs first. They are pretty well priced imo. My stock shocks are in good condition and I just want to lower it a bit with a slightly firmer ride.

If the drop and ride quality is not what I’m hoping for, I will get some KW or custom CW suspension. Or maybe even a set of bilstein shocks for the eibach springs.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I opted for the HSD monopro, used this thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?177168-Suspension-Change-Guide-amp-HSD-HR-Coilovers-Review-(Image-Intensive!) to help make my decision. I had the Bilstein/ Eibach combo and changed to the HSD's and much prefer them (I expect partially down to the age of the old shocks?). Can set them up to ride similar to the old setup or adjust as required. Nice to be able to set them up with a nice feel and still be able to adjust the height.

Edited by RACsupra (see edit history)