The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rust problems

safcdixon

Quick intro to this project, bought an Na auto from an old mate that needed it gone quickly, it wasnt running mot had run out etc etc, bought as a side project whilst i build my single turbo on my black car.

overall the supra looked rough on the surface but overall solid (except the bootlid, usual spot) stripped some of the car down and sent it to the bodyshop, i hadnt removed the sidepods at this point.

reason im posting this is to alert current and potential owners to the hidden rust problems on these cars now, and even if you treat the car well give under the skirts a check over ever so often, pics below of when i collected it and of the rot.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

When a similar age of cars 'under the rear hockey stick' can look like the attached, you have to wonder how the rust started on that one to get so severe?

Yeah the other three supras i have are all clean and rust free in the same areas that this one has serious rust, bit of an odd one.

Its happening on a lot of them now. Scrapes and chips lead to thos stuff.

When i first got mine and was doing touch ups i noticed bits starting and quickly sorted it.

Think this is probably the cause this car had a repaint (very badly it seems) about 4/5yrs ago could well be the cause, it has 200k onit aswell which wont have helped

Yeah the other three supras i have are all clean and rust free in the same areas that this one has serious rust, bit of an odd one.

Think this is probably the cause this car had a repaint (very badly it seems) about 4/5yrs ago could well be the cause, it has 200k onit aswell which wont have helped

Primer doesnt seal metal. Epoxys do. Probably could be it

Mine was mangled underneath from some idiot jacking it up improperly (including on the floor) and I had some nice rust holes at the back of the pinch welds which I've since had welded up. It's also got bubbles around the windscreen and on the sills below the doors so it's back to the bodyshop again soon. I don't know if there's some issue with the paint or if it's just an old car being old but after everyone on here goes on about how rust-free their supras are I'm jealous.

Best to check behind all the trim and get it fixed asap for sure.

Wow!!

I have never seen a Sup that bad anywhere. Where has it been parked in the sea?

Areas I have seen or heard off

Front cross member under the radiator

Plenum in front of the windscreen where the wiper motor sits

Tailgate around glass. Probably the most talked about area

Fuel tank guards

Rear bumper beam

And underneath

Floorpan to sill where idiots jack the cars incorrectly

Under the rear quarter fwd of the rear wheels.

Other long term members may have seen other areas as well but that NA is not indicative of MKIVs I have seen

Wow!!

I have never seen a Sup that bad anywhere. Where has it been parked in the sea?

Areas I have seen or heard off

Front cross member under the radiator

Plenum in front of the windscreen where the wiper motor sits

Tailgate around glass. Probably the most talked about area

Fuel tank guards

Rear bumper beam

And underneath

Floorpan to sill where idiots jack the cars incorrectly

Under the rear quarter fwd of the rear wheels.

Other long term members may have seen other areas as well but that NA is not indicative of MKIVs I have seen

Yeah oddly it has no Rust in any other areas on the just these localized areas in the pics, even the tank cover aint bad

Like i said above i know myself all mkivs arent like this (i have 4 including this one) what im trying to get accross is to check hidden areas on your own supra or a potential purchase because it could look fine on the surface but the above could be hiding, slowly rotting the car away

got me worring now. i should really take my skirts off and take alook. my skirts have been loose along the door sill for 10 years. do the skirts remove easily without damage? if so how do tjey come off

Check the bottom of the doors. They tend to rub on the oem skirts.

Screws 10mm at the bottom. 3 screws on the front. 2 or 3 black pop grommets on the rear. Careful when pulling off. May need a metal ruler to release the double sided tape along the top sill. A screwdriver is too thick and will crack the thin plastic

Check the bottom of the doors. They tend to rub on the oem skirts.

Screws 10mm at the bottom. 3 screws on the front. 2 or 3 black pop grommets on the rear. Careful when pulling off. May need a metal ruler to release the double sided tape along the top sill. A screwdriver is too thick and will crack the thin plastic

hi. yeah i know about the doors. my doors have been rubbing the skirts for years now. was like it when i bought it. just another job to do. they are not bad the bottoms of my doors tho. just a light hint of surface rust on them. nothing

It's also got bubbles around the windscreen

all around the windscreen and rear window seems to be a common area on these cars, one I saw a few years ago had only just come from japan and the drivers A pillar had almost rotted completely through. Think they did a poor job on the paint around the glass.

Another couple of places worth checking are under the windscreen scuttle, and on the roof of the shell, in the recess where the rear hatch hinges are. I've seen many of them have surface rust here, which will turn nasty if not sorted.

all around the windscreen and rear window seems to be a common area on these cars, one I saw a few years ago had only just come from japan and the drivers A pillar had almost rotted completely through. Think they did a poor job on the paint around the glass.

Never seen that before. Could also be caused by a poorly performed windshield replacement, when the paint was damaged.

and on the roof of the shell, in the recess where the rear hatch hinges are. I've seen many of them have surface rust here, which will turn nasty if not sorted.

Absolutely agree on that one. My Supra is straight from Japan and had no rust, except for a few very minor surface rust spots in that area, as well as some spot welds with surface rust on the vehicle underbody.

Most imports I have seen have surface rust on the roof hidden by the boot lid at the top and under the scuttle panel if you look through the little gills on the top next to the wipers.

other than that its generically examples that have been in the UK for a while not garaged and generally driven and left that suffer.