The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto v Manual (Please bare with me...)

Crossy

Hi guys...

I have dug through the forums for the past few hours looking for info on what I'm asking, I have a different target audience for the question though.

I fully know this will bring some die hards here... Now what I'm asking is for the opinion of people who have owned both an Auto and a Manual TT Supra.

I'm not asking for fire and thunder verses, just a simple message about what your opinions of both are, and what you genuinely consider the best and worst point of each. What drawbacks do you feel hinder the autos also? Are we of the opinion that Autos will hold their value as well as the Manuals?

I have always driven manual cars, also 2 Toyota's being an MR2 MK2 Rev2 and an ST205 GT4, I'm familiar with what you get out of manuals. I have no experience with Autos, at all.

I'm still 95% set on a manual. However, I've just seen a flappy paddle conversion for the auto and to say that's peaked an interest is an understatement. Is the manual really worth those few thousands more? I'd imagine so, but im asking anyway as a first time Supra buyer.

Cheers!

Edited by Crossy (see edit history)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a very personal thing really. The Supra isn't a sports car, its a GT car, a cruiser and an auto really suits it, if you get a VVTI car you get tiptronic buttons but with basically 3 gears its kind of pointless.

Sure people will spout phrases like 'driver involvement' but Ive driven both and bought the auto. And in all honesty, the manual boxes aren't that nice to use...

I agree with Swampy, the getrag is a great gearbox but I don't like it for a dayli use, could quickly be hard to use when putting an aftermarket clutch...

That's the reason I'm looking for an alternative to it ^^

I drove several Aristos in the past with the tiptronic gearbox, I was VERY pleased of this box, it suits them very well but I've always had the feeling a Supra must be manual... (it's a personnal opinion).

Drive both gearboxes, compare what car for how many £££ you can have and then take your decision :)

Definately better to have a clean TT Auto then an abused TT6 ! Supras are becoming always rarer and more expensive don't hesitate too long x)

I was manual through and through back in 2000! never had a good auto experience in any car (normally underpowered) prior.

Had a manual NA, then a Manual UK TT, was always anti auto, then a late 6 speed NA in the lovely blue, before I picked up a cheap GZ Aero TT and these only came in automatic......and it was fine.

I say fine and people think it's a bad thing but it gave me little to moan about which in itself is a great compliment (it doesn't shift at odd times, the torque/turbos means it doesn't really bog down at any point, you can switch between 3rd/4th with the overdrive button , it's very useable) and I still seek out manual 'normal/commuter cars'.

I now (through fate/timing) have two auto's. Not looking to sell both to get a Manual, perhaps it's an age thing? (44 now)

Things to mention, lots of auto's don't come as standard with a LSD so can add to minor moans.

VVTi's suffer from a km/mph convertor issue which can have adverse effects at high speed/high throttle openings.

If they were the same price I'd have a manual, but they aren't and for me the manual isn't worth almost twice as much.

Manuals will always command higher prices, but I don't see why the auto's won't hold theirs.

You could keep the GT4 too!

That right there, is the exact thread that has opened the temptation to me!

Still open to what everyone has to say about these.

Would you guys who have commented go for the normal auto or the triptronic?

I think I'm about 75% manual, 25% Auto now haha

I've always loved my auto, and wouldn't swap for a manual Supra. But personally I wouldn'tt go for a tiptronic car, as a lot of corners were cut on the facelifts by Toyota to save money, and personally I wouldn't want one.

I can speak from both sides, although it is of course my own opinion

I bought my auto tt just over 4 years ago, and specifically searched for an auto model, despite having manual cars all my life.

I felt that with a car like the supra, the auto transmission would compliment the drivers position, and being a gt car, it would be an effortless cruiser.

I was always very happy with how it drove, but curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to do a manual conversion end the end of last year - albeit with an r154.

Well, one year on, and I'm currently planning on converting back to auto over the coming Christmas break. I miss the effortless drive, and personally I've found that going manual has made the car harder to drive - as in, it's not just a point and go relaxing ride, and doesn't feel as enjoyable.

If you plan to do track days, or a lot of b road driving, the manual might suit you better. But, if you do a lot of town driving, and the odd spirited run, auto all the way

My 2p

Really starting to get the idea that the only drawback of the auto is the control when driving more enthusiastically then. Definitely something that would take some getting used to no doubt, but in all honesty I rarely flat the GT4 for long as it's become more of a weekend crusier

Ask yourself, what am I using the car for because there in lies the answer. If you will use it everyday then you will want an automatic, not because the manual is hard to use but because the roads are just so busy, it makes life so much easier. For an old box it's pretty decent and fairly smooth, but nothing to write home about if comparing it to a modern counterpart.

If however it's for some weekend fun I'd recommend the manual without hesitation. It is much more involved, more control and always makes me smile. It's also worth considering whether or not your car will be staying standard, if you like your mods treat yourself to a 6 speed out of the box, it will likely save you money in the long term. The 6 speed will always be worth more, especially as we move into a world of driving autonomy and electrical power trains, children in the not very distant future will be as unfamiliar with clutches as they are floppy discs. I suppose manuals will be remembered with the sort of nostalgia people remember of carburetors.

All based on my own experience and opinions ofcourse.

Edited by Hemanhead (see edit history)

Daily: auto / tiptronic

occasional weekend toy/ sunny weather car: manual

track car: manual

drag racer: auto

But buy the best car that you can afford. If it is a choice between a bottom of the market manual and a clean auto, get the auto. Similarly, if it's a toss up between a clean NA or a 'project' TT, go with the NA.

I drove my UK tt6 daily for 3 years and loved every minute even whist town driving.

That may be the case, but the tt6 has a heavy clutch pedal and gear action, the auto is effortless and crawls forward in traffic at a decent pace without using the accelerator. I've had 2x 6 speeds and 2x autos (well, 1 auto and 1 tiptronic, as well as an auto gs300 which is very similar), even with a relatively light RPS clutch my single turbo 6 speed was a pig in traffic compared to the auto cars, and my totally stock NA 6 speed was barely any better. Auto wins hands down for any sort of daily driving or city use, manual only comes into its own for twist B roads or on track.

I test drove automatics when I was looking and yes they are a great drive but my mkiii turbo supra is an auto and I wanted a manual Mkiv and must admit I prefer a manual in any car but that is my preference even to this day I have a vw caravelle 180bhp with a dsg box and would prefer a manual. My Audi b7 rs4 is a manual and that is why it's not been chopped in for a newer version because all the newer ones are auto/dsg.

To me the v160/161 gearbox and clutch are part of the driving experience although mine are on oem clutches.

Really appreciate all of this info so far guys, making a lot of sense to me so far, and is helping break my decision down into manageable information.

I definitely think I need to try driving or at least being in both whilst they're driven.

I've plenty of time until I want to buy (likely to be January onwards unless I find something perfect for me sooner).

If anyone is near to Shropshire and wouldn't mind taking me out in theirs 1 weekend at their preference, I'd be very grateful!

Really appreciate all of this info so far guys, making a lot of sense to me so far, and is helping break my decision down into manageable information.

I definitely think I need to try driving or at least being in both whilst they're driven.

I've plenty of time until I want to buy (likely to be January onwards unless I find something perfect for me sooner).

If anyone is near to Shropshire and wouldn't mind taking me out in theirs 1 weekend at their preference, I'd be very grateful!

Rider is your man and I think it's going back together soon so he may oblige!

He offered that I could go and take a look at it up on the ramp so that he could show me all of the things to look out for when buying one, which would have been perfect; unfortunately I was at work all day Friday and ended up being called out again all day today, and I believe he was finishing the work and bringing it down during today. Hopefully he wouldn't mind me being a passenger one weekend! I'm in contact with him anyway fortunately. Don't suppose anyone has an Auto close? If not I'm a willing traveller, gives me a chance to roadtrip my ST205 haha

I test drove automatics when I was looking and yes they are a great drive but my mkiii turbo supra is an auto and I wanted a manual Mkiv and must admit I prefer a manual in any car but that is my preference even to this day I have a vw caravelle 180bhp with a dsg box and would prefer a manual. My Audi b7 rs4 is a manual and that is why it's not been chopped in for a newer version because all the newer ones are auto/dsg.

To me the v160/161 gearbox and clutch are part of the driving experience although mine are on oem clutches.

I'm the same I've never found them that bad either, the shifting is far better than say a Monaro and I never found it an issue in traffic, worse thing was the flywheel wear and sort of slack in the drivetrain at just on/off idle speeds.

Daily: auto / tiptronic

occasional weekend toy/ sunny weather car: manual

track car: manual

drag racer: auto

But buy the best car that you can afford. If it is a choice between a bottom of the market manual and a clean auto, get the auto. Similarly, if it's a toss up between a clean NA or a 'project' TT, go with the NA.

100% Agree with this, very good advice. Although if I had to do it again i would still buy they same car, some call it clunky I call it reassuring :D