The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Supra

wannasupra

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, but have a few questions to ask re supras (funnily enough).

Basically i'm looking to get one, but i don't know where to start. I know i can't afford a Twin Turbo, so was wondering what is a good N/A supra, and what kind of performance etc i would be getting, running costs etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

Hi.

I've had mine for over 3 years now and it's been 100% reliable. Only thing that's gone wrong is the odd bulbs going. I've changed the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles myself. Last year Chris W did a complete service with cam belt change. I'm now up to 67k miles (ish) I'm not 100% as it was on 30k when it was converted from km so it's less than that.

Other than that the only things I've bought are fuel (50 quid every 10 days) and tyres (varies on quality).

Incidently I'm thinking of sticking it up for sale to get a TT. Hoping for about 5.5k after haggling.

It's fast enough and great for everyday use. I bought it as it looks great and I didn't want any worries about turbos going and all the other stuff that can go wrong with a TT.

See my garage for photos http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=742

Pete

Welcome Andy,

Ok if your getting an n/a they come in two forms, an SZ or SZ-R, the difference is that the SZ-R is a little lighter and it has a LSD which is obviously a good thing and imo out of the two I'd be looking at the SZ-R, now depending on your budget you could probably get a facelift sz/sz-r for around 7-8k the facelift came out in late 96 and it has a 5 dial dash, different headlights/rear lights and also extra lights on the front/rear bumpers and it should have a 6 speed box which is stronger and has better ratios, I think even though these are minimal cosmetic differences people tend to change their pre-facelift supes with later spec front and rear lights as they look much better! and this will save you in the long run as those front lights are damn expensive!

Performance wise, well it depends what your coming from really, it's has 220bhp and a similar torque figure (the important one) and I'm estimating it hits 100 in around 16-17 secs, probably on par with a civic type r,bmw 330ci. I stated the 0-100 as I believe this is a much better indication of a cars performance over the 0-60 as so many cars can have similar 60 times but once at a 100 there's likely to be a few secs difference, I bet from a roll though that with the extra 80lbsftq you'd be pulling away from one.

The only thing the n/a will cost you is petrol and just wear and tear parts, the n/a will be easy to maintain and I actually think it sounds better than the TT as the extra exhaust gas flow in the TT tends to muffle out the sound, it's also louder because of this too with a double decat and perfrormance exhaust.

The power is enough for the road and you can push them with more confidence round the bends as you don't have any turbo's coming on to worry about!

I went through this dilemma but ended with the TT, I don't regret it but I would have saved myself a lot of dosh had I went for the n/a! just what ever you do don't go in a TT as you'll want one!

If you do go n/a and later get bored with the power then you can later add a turbo as the engine is pretty damn stong and can take just as much power as the TT without uprating an internals, people say around 600hp before anything needs uprating.

So to sum up, if you don't mind searching for the 'one', I'd be looking at a facelift sz-r with a 6 speed box, there was one on autotrader the other day that was simply stunning, it was up for around 8k in quicksliver and had a great bodykit it was a bargain buy imo, but there will be plenty more!

any more q's then just ask or search as it's likely to have been covered before.

Rogue, that's a very nice supra you have there. I think at that price i could be very tempted if you did come to sell it. Out of interest what engine has it got etc?

Cheers

Andy

I reckon it's a realistic sell price - a few of the guys on here have seen it. Ray (stheroof) and Liam (lovatt) spring to mind.

It's a shame it hasn't got receipted history with anyone else other than what I've done to it :( Nobody tends to believe that kind of thing. As you can see from my sig I built a kit car, so regular servicing a Supra isn't difficult...

Hi Andy and welcome!

I've got an SZ: I think it depends why you want it. If its for looks, then go for an NA. If performance is of prime importance, get a TT. I've never regretted buying an NA, they are still a very quick car and a lot of fun, and turn lots of heads.

I get about 24mpg out of mine (town and motorway driving). Loads of debates on MPG figures, do a search if you want to know more on that! :)

It would mostly be for looks, but also slightly more performance than my current car (an Ibiza Cupra 2l 8v). My only concern is getting insurance for it. I've used confused.com to get a range and only 3 insurers would touch me and all over £1k. I'd of thought being 25 (well nearly 26) 3years no claims, no speeding convictins would hold me in good sted, but apparently just being a Jap import makes it a no no. However i will not give up just yet :thumbs:

Oh yeah: look at the VIN plate in the engine bay if you're after a supra with a LSD. If the axle section has a "B", it's got a LSD. Supras were made with so many options, so not just the SZ-R ones have LSD.

Insurance: try the club's insurer, Sky insurance. I'm insured with Allen & Allen, about £600 fully comp. I'm 29.

I'm not getting into this old chestnut - but have you tried it? It's great!

I have been in an NA auto and wasn't impressed. I have an auto TT as well, so that speaks for itself. I'm not saying the autobox is crap because I have a a fear of auto's, I just don't think it comes into it's own until there is a bit more power to play with.

The quarter mile times from standard NA's are normally around 15 seconds in a manual to around 16 in an Auto.

I loved my 5 speed NA until I took it to Santa Pod.

There was a Civic Type R meet there as well and and every single one of those stupid looking gear stick-in-the-dashboard Hondas whooped me :tumble:

Yes I know at 120 I would've finally overtaken them - unfortunatley the Pod strip wasnt long enough :cry:

I have been in an NA auto and wasn't impressed. I have an auto TT as well, so that speaks for itself.

Odd. I had a TT Auto as well and really couldn't say there was a great deal of difference in the way they behaved. In fact, I was pretty dissapointed in the TTs performance in general.

Odd. I had a TT Auto as well and really couldn't say there was a great deal of difference in the way they behaved. In fact, I was pretty dissapointed in the TTs performance in general.

I didn't say they behaved differently. I inferred that the NA's reduced power in my opinion better suited it to a manual gearbox.

I think all auto's are much better when coupled with a car that has a good deal of torque. The less power/torque a car has the worse the autobox will be IMO.

I wasn't massively impressed with the TT performance either, but that's not the point.

I loved my 5 speed NA until I took it to Santa Pod.

There was a Civic Type R meet there as well and and every single one of those stupid looking gear stick-in-the-dashboard Hondas whooped me :tumble:

Yes I know at 120 I would've finally overtaken them - unfortunatley the Pod strip wasnt long enough :cry:

What sort of times were the CTRs running? Hard to believe they whooped an SZ, unless pod was really slippy.

:looney: