The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension sorted and...........

RACsupra

Suspension sorted and the annoying 'knock' gone.....:cool:

I guess the cars old enough to make it necessary maintenance but mainly because the 'knocking' was doing my head in......:(

Recent replacements........

Super Pro Anti roll bar bushes and steering bushes......

New drop links

Battle Version inner and outer tie rods

Vibra Technics engine mounts

HSD Mono Pro suspension

Figs Engineering (Super Pro options):

Front upper and lower arms

Rear upper and lower arms

Rear trac and toe arms

Alignment done last monday, hunter set up using a combination of Toyota and Lance settings.........

To say I'm happy with the result is an understatement........ so so glad that the handling side is sorted and that I ended up going down this route before chasing power..... I appreciate that it wasn't cheap but, you get what you pay for and the car is so different now..... loving it.

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

Good to hear. Parts look cool. But your a brave man using balljoints without covers in them as i suspect they will seize up and start making all sorts of noises sooner than your think

Regular clean up with PTFE spray should prolong any issues. Being able to change them out without too much problem also made the decision a bit easier too. Spoke in depth with a couple of friends who know a thing or two about cars (not Supra's as such) and they didn't seem too concerned. If the initial set don't last then upon replacing I shall put some universal covers on, most kit car spares places carry them.

Edited by RACsupra (see edit history)

Good to hear. Parts look cool. But your a brave man using balljoints without covers in them as i suspect they will seize up and start making all sorts of noises sooner than your think

They won't seize, they may wear like hell unless they are high end stainless with Kevlar reinforced liner material like NMB offer. I have had NMB Kevlar lined speherical bearings and rod ends on my Skyline and the same ones on two previous ones for years and zero wear. But phosphor bronze or similar lined ones or ones with chromed balls will knock and wear out faster than a pair of Tesco socks.

• 3 months later...

Initially yes...... new wheels and balance helped. The rear wheels had a slight buckle which at speed could be felt through the steering. The car “tramlined” and seemed a bit “floaty” at high speed. Was very unnerving at high speeds on the run out to Germany and with hard braking the car would not give proper feedback.

It’s cost a fair bit to get to the bottom of it but, boy is it a different animal now. It’s so so positive.

If your getting vibration at higher speed, I’d go with wheel balance as first port of call.

Initially yes...... new wheels and balance helped. The rear wheels had a slight buckle which at speed could be felt through the steering. The car “tramlined” and seemed a bit “floaty” at high speed. Was very unnerving at high speeds on the run out to Germany and with hard braking the car would not give proper feedback.

It’s cost a fair bit to get to the bottom of it but, boy is it a different animal now. It’s so so positive.

If your getting vibration at higher speed, I’d go with wheel balance as first port of call.

I've had the following done. Balance, geometry, new tyres, rebalance, new discs and pads, new steering rack and new coilovers. Ive bought new hubs and top wishbones. Need one more bottom wishbone and then i'll have a complete set and that would be everything replaced bar the actual subframe. Fingers crossed cause the knock isn't that bad, it's the vibration. So bad it shakes my aftermarket steering wheels bolts loose.

I've had the following done. Balance, geometry, new tyres, rebalance, new discs and pads, new steering rack and new coilovers. Ive bought new hubs and top wishbones. Need one more bottom wishbone and then i'll have a complete set and that would be everything replaced bar the actual subframe. Fingers crossed cause the knock isn't that bad, it's the vibration. So bad it shakes my aftermarket steering wheels bolts loose.

I know you say balance done but, have you done the rears?