The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What brake pads ?

_Shane_

I have just fitted Chris Wilson fast road brake pads to my Supra. I'm very pleased so far.

In addition I also fitted new OEM brake discs, Goodridge braided hoses and Motul RBF600 fluid. The improvement is massive over the old DBA disc and EBC pad setup. :)

Anything is better than EBC pads, total crap!

I've been using the Chris Wilson pads and happy to recommend them, especially as they work out at a very competetive price point.

I'm torn between trying Endless or Porterfield next, just interested to see the difference between Chris' pads and some 'branded' ones.

I remember looking into the Endless carbon series as alternatives to the Performance Friction pads once they became unavailable, never got round to trying them as managed to grab a couple set of the PF pads :D

I would like to know the answer to that too.

Porterfield race pads have tremendous bite because they have a LOT of sintered iron particles in them. It's a cheap way to make a pad survive very high temperatures, but the downside is high disc wear and incandescent particles of iron fusing into the paintwork of wheels and close bodywork if used in anger. this initially looks like black dust until either you try and remove it, or it gets wet and goes red with rust. On a race car such things don't matter, but i know how particular some of you are about your wheels and paintwork. The now NLA Performance Friction pads for the UK calipers in race compound were superb without this side effect, but were quite dear. Some of the Endless compounds are very good, but my only experience of them has been on light single seater race cars. My fast road pads are offered to give a good balance between a stock pad and a race compound. They have good bite, don't fuse iron particles into the paint, are generally silent, have decent life, but although they will survive mild track days they won't be happy on circuits with several fast straights interlinked by hairpins, in a Supra driven hard. Examples: The Donington International circuit that includes the Melbourne Loop, or the full Anglesey circuit. Both have fast straights and Mickey Mouse hairpins that tax the brakes EXTREMELY hard.

My UK pads are £140 plus VAT (£168) a full car set, and my Jap spec caliper pads are £130 plus VAT (£156) a full car set. I do free insured courier delivery on full car sets to a UK post code at the moment. I can do them for a wide range of other cars too, including the current Nissan GTR and the LS400 front calipers people fit to the Supras.