The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken Dipstick

black_widow87

Just measured my dipstick upto the base of the handle which is 513mm. Judging by the length of the tube i reckon the end of it will be in the sump. Am i right in thinking that it will come through the sump drain using a magnet??

I can't recall the exact lay out of the dipstick and sump baffles plate thing, so it may be easy to fish out once the oil has drained or it could be a pig! The lower sump is steel and magnetic so will attract your magnet too, but I can't see any other quick option. If you drain Jack up the passenger side up a ways to encourage the piece towards the sump plug.

Yes, it's a fiddle to get at the bolt holding the bracket, but once out wiggle the tube out of the upper sump casting, it has an "O" ring on it to seal it. You just *MIGHT* find the tip of the stick still above the sump level. Otherwise you will have to drop the steel sump. sealing it again with oil dripping off the crank and block walls is fun... It needs to come out as hot thin oil agitated by the crank may whip the tip into the rotation of the crank and rods, and nowt good will come of that! If the tip was magnetic a big rare earth magnet on the outside of the bottom of the sump pan would probably hold it out of harms way, but physically removing it is a far safer option. Big rare earth magnets on the bottom outside of the sump are good for holding magnetic shrapnel, but of course there shouldn't be any in there anyway ;)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

Got round to removing the dipstick tube last night, only to find the dipstick itself is a good 10cm longer than the tube so almost certain its in the sump. I might try using a suction pump before even thinking about removing the sump as it seems to be a bigger job than expected. Just to confirm, is there definitely no way of getting it off without removing the engine or dropping the subframe?

Have you established how long the bit in there is yet? it sounds from your description that it's a short bit of the tip? If it's a small piece I'd think it's feasible you could drain the oil and use some magnetic tool to fish it out, you'll have to drain the oil if you get to the sump removal stage anyway so nothing really to lose in trying?

If you drain the sump then you can stick a usb camera in there and have a look at what you are looking at. If its small then the draining would, you'd imagine, flush the rod to the proximity of the drain hole so you may be able to manoeuvre it to a position where you can tweezer it out.

Damn man, what a scenario it is, the fact you have to shift the engine throws it off. its a tip so 'may' come out the drain hole in the fluid, dont angle the car as it may go into a corner and miss the drain hole. jack the whole car level and drain, id start from back back. If it dosent come out you can try using some cheap brand oil to fill and flush it out?

or youll have to bite the bullet and pull the engine :(

- - - Updated - - -

If you drain the sump then you can stick a usb camera in there and have a look at what you are looking at. If its small then the draining would, you'd imagine, flush the rod to the proximity of the drain hole so you may be able to manoeuvre it to a position where you can tweezer it out.

just read that comment, my guess also

Yes it is the gauge end bit to the dipstick, however, its not magnetic. I went to Mr T to get a new one and tested it straight away with a magnet, only the rod is drawn to the magnet. :( Iv drained the oil and nothing came out, so will have a go with my mechanical suction pump this week. Reading elsewhere on the Web people have suggested using a wet/dry industrial vacuum...