The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SupraPod Drag Times

mattdavies

Thought we could see who did what times, I spoke to a few people but thought it would interesting to put spec and time.

I will start with mine

BPU Auto

1/4- 110.30

60ft- 2.0779

ET - 12.9079

Thats a great time for the conditions and spec of your car dude

I only managed

1/4 -115.4

60ft-2.3514

E.T.-13.0294

Shame I didnt get into the 12's but was running half a tank of fuel

No launch control so I had to sit at idle on the line....

ET - 12.69

60ft - 2.559 (just shows setting off from idle is not ideal!!)

1/4 mile - 122.4

Big single with DCT gearbox and hilarious amounts of wheelspin :-)

Best run of the day was against the "HARTY" car, he beat me by a few car lengths, but it really came down to who dealt with the wheelspin better - I guess he did!

What's worrying is a stock Audi RS3 will do a repetitive 1/4 stint in 12.2 seconds. A little more with that headwind. Alas big BHP is dying...

Yet when I roll raced one ( Private Road in Brentford ) I was quicker, must be in the launch. Although we aren't really comparing apples to apples, I have been saying that in the last few years the Germans have majorly stepped their game up, and although there is a cult status around a supra they are not that quick compared to what is being produced now. But compare money vs performance they are still a very quick car for the money, Johnny getting all happy and woop woop because the GTR is quicker which is great but you cant buy a reasonable GTR for less the £35k ish, a new RS3 is £40k ish, a BPU auto supra is £12k. plus there is 15years of advancements in the GTR and 20 years in the Audi.

Yet when I roll raced one ( Private Road in Brentford ) I was quicker, must be in the launch. Although we aren't really comparing apples to apples, I have been saying that in the last few years the Germans have majorly stepped their game up, and although there is a cult status around a supra they are not that quick compared to what is being produced now. But compare money vs performance they are still a very quick car for the money, Johnny getting all happy and woop woop because the GTR is quicker which is great but you cant buy a reasonable GTR for less the £35k ish, a new RS3 is £40k ish, a BPU auto supra is £12k. plus there is 15years of advancements in the GTR and 20 years in the Audi.
I test drove the RS3 and M235i before getting the supra and 335d. The M235i was epic. The RS3 quite stale and lacked driver engagement compared to BMW and supra. BUT it would crack 0-60 in under 3 secs more often than not which is staggering. Plus a plush cabin and plenty of comfort. No brainer if you can afford it in contrast to a 20 year old car.

I test drove the RS3 and M235i before getting the supra and 335d. The M235i was epic. The RS3 quite stale and lacked driver engagement compared to BMW and supra. BUT it would crack 0-60 in under 3 secs more often than not which is staggering. Plus a plush cabin and plenty of comfort. No brainer if you can afford it in contrast to a 20 year old car.

I agree depending on who you are and if it was your only car, me personally I want something that is engaging and looks a little special. I think like most the alternatives in this thread they aren't lookers as such, the GTR for me is a tool for going fast but its not a great looking car, and from what you said about the RS3 a great tool but from a distance looks like an A3.

They are all exciting cars and all have their merits. Perhaps if you can afford it a newer car is a no brainer but I think I'd still go for something quick (not the quickest) but used and niche.

Some Supra owners are almost obsessed with performance and them being faster than most things and are almost disappointed as they inevitably have slipped down the ranks. I will say though that regardless of future (ICE at least) advances a bpu Supra will never be considered slow. Even now a regular white goods car owner would be absolutely shocked by it's performance, Nissan with the GTR have nailed the 4wd traction and taken the huge power thing and modding to another level, and the latest 4wd hot hatches (A45 as well as the above mentioned) are ridiculous too, but the Supra is as much fun as it ever was.

Thats the rub, ok these newer breed 4x4 rockets are unbeatable off the line and if thats what floats peoples boat then great, i`d say they`re far from exciting, lets face it your gran could put the thing into launch mode and match your 0-60 time so wheres the reward in that.

So as a quick daily driver some of these cars do tick the boxes, as a weekend driving pleasure tool hmm i just don`t get it.Also as you may have noticed i`m not into 0-60, 1/4 mile etc at all.

Thats the rub, ok these newer breed 4x4 rockets are unbeatable off the line and if thats what floats peoples boat then great, i`d say they`re far from exciting, lets face it your gran could put the thing into launch mode and match your 0-60 time so wheres the reward in that.

So as a quick daily driver some of these cars do tick the boxes, as a weekend driving pleasure tool hmm i just don`t get it.Also as you may have noticed i`m not into 0-60, 1/4 mile etc at all.

Straight line speed is for rich drivers, fast round a track is for good drivers.

Dont forget the older breeds of 4x4 !!!! my liitle pulsar GTIR circa 1992 , will pull 1.7 60 ft all day and Id like to think may reel in its newer sibling , rev to 6000 ,let go of clutch and hang on ....its just as good as launch control ,lol also does the twisty road thing, however flat last in the beauty pageant !!! God its ugly