The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Steering vibrations 50% fixed, steering stiff, brake knock still present what next?

SupraLEDrears

So guys

Steering wheel used to shake madly between certain motorway speeds with the brake pedal and steering wheel juddering when braking. I've not been able to test it properlycause I've only picked the car up today but upto some of the speeds it seemed good. My steering rack was good, but a tie rod and a seized balljoint seemed to be the issue with the shaking steering wheel. I'm talking about shaking the screws loose out of the steering wheel boss. I thought that it would cure the juddering brakepedal and steering wheel too. At low speed braking, I hear a one off loud knock( Even after canging from jspec to ls400 calipers with new pads and discs), braking anything over 50 mph shakes the steering wheel and you can feel it on the pedal. The discs are not warped.

So here's the issues,

Why is my steering so stiff after replacing the steering rack, almost feels like no powersteering, Dextron 3 used.

Why are my brakes vibrating so badly when everything has been replaced? (Lower wishbone, shock, steering rach with tie rod and balljoint, pads, discs, calipers)

What would cause a low speed knocking noise when braking?

Any advice appreciated.

Did you check the hub run out before replacing the brake components?

This. I had the same with changing to LS400 calipers at first. Had the brakediscs checked and resurfaced on a lathe and the shaking came back within a few days. Checked the runout on the hub and it was a few tenths of a millimeter off.

Did you check the hub run out before replacing the brake components?

Been suggersted not tried it as we could hear noise from the steering balljoint.

Have you tried any other wheels?

No I haven't.

This. I had the same with changing to LS400 calipers at first. Had the brakediscs checked and resurfaced on a lathe and the shaking came back within a few days. Checked the runout on the hub and it was a few tenths of a millimeter off.

I bought new discs and pads but still the same haha

Have you had it aligned?

The feeling of no power steering could be down to air in system, the pump not working? or no fluid.

The low speed knocking is it only low speed or at higher speeds to? could be engine mounts? or the pads sticking but if its all new should be ok if they have been fitted correctly.

No I forgot to add i will need a full geometry doing on it. knock is only at low speeds and it's only a one off. When I took the old discs off a few months back, one of the capliper bolts were loose. The brake vibration went away for a month but came back. Brakes were bedded in properly. Checked the bolts and thats fine too.

• 8 months later...